396 replies to this topic

#101 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

email? Post it! It does them and you no good to keep it on the qt. If it is good, others may beat a path when they are down there.

If you really don't want to post it for whatever reason, just PM it to me through this forum. Whatever it is, I look forward to something different from where I usually eat Mexican in San Antonio - not that I think the place is bad, it is just that a little something different would be nice from time to time.

#102 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:07 AM

Just looked it up on mapquest - right around the corner from the Ferrari dealership. That cannot be bad. Eat some good food, have a few cocktails and then go test drive the new Scaglietti... :smwink:

Seriously, it is for the most part not too far off my route when I go down there so I may have to give it a try. I really like the fact that it is open early for breakfast - especially if the full menu is available.

#103 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

Yes, that nice dealership is just across the highway, on the last exit before Loop 1604 on ramp. Nice selections :smwink: . Some of their mechanics/sales folks order our tacos. Don't know of any DTFW (or FW in general) places that serve bkfst that early in the morn, and have Mexican food.
The restaurant sells beer and wine only for now. Dinner and Lunch plates served all day, Breakfst menu served all day and night too.

Try the Enchiladas Verdes w/ pollo if you must, or Flautas, YUMMM. :D
Parrilada Nortena is quite popular too w/ a nice COOOOLD Bohemian in a bottle. Always homemade fresh tortillas. I'll let you comment on the Chips and Salsas :D 3 salsas to choose from. Chile Rellenos, goood night!

Like Soup, try the Caldo de Res or Tortilla Soup, Medium size is big enough too!
NEED a Soup "REMEDY", try the Menudo made daily.
Plenty o Cocktails at the Buffalo Wild Wings place across the street or Meson's Euro at the end of the center.

Hope you enjoy.
E-mail me, I'll send you a mgr's coupon in the mail.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#104 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

While on the discussion of great food. Have ya'll eatin at La Familias on 7th? Muy Excellente!

Been about a year since I last went, before today. Good to see the owner still welcoming everyone. :smwink:
www.iheartfw.com

#105 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

NEED a Soup "REMEDY", try the Menudo made daily.

Man, I have tried to acquire a taste for it on a number of occasions, and I just cannot. I have friends who swear by it, but they also "grew up" on it. I'll settle for the tortilla soup, or as we used to have in my youth, what was called azteca.

#106 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:53 PM

I have to say that Sandra Baker (author of the FWST column on So7) could seriously improve as a journalist. On several occasions I have noticed several grammatical and factual errors in her reporting.

#107 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:12 AM

Don't just infer, list em. (Sippin on haterade)

M. Schnurmann is Tha Man on that beat !
He tells it like it is and always explores multiple sides of issues. Though I think he slipped up on that Mercado deal last year.

Actually, it was Sandra B, makin a "puff piece" out of the Mercado (and it's owner) a year or 2 ago.
www.iheartfw.com

#108 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

[quote name='safly' date='Jun 11 2005, 03:12 AM']

This proves it... safly doesn't ever sleep. I am starting to think safly is an alien. We need to check to see if he is missing a belly button or possibly has a bar code on him somewhere... :D

#109 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:30 AM

[quote name='jefffwd' date='Jun 11 2005, 08:09 AM']
[quote name='safly' date='Jun 11 2005, 03:12 AM']

This proves it... safly doesn't ever sleep. I am starting to think safly is an alien. We need to check to see if he is missing a belly button or possibly has a bar code on him somewhere... :blink:

View Post

[/quote]

It's all good! 3:12am on a Saturday night / morn.

Not an alien, born in the U.S. A. buddy. Uptown San Antonio that is.
As for the belly button, well it does get lost from time to time. That or I just can't personally see it myself.
I do wish I had a code to a bar with me. A good bar. Yeah. Beers. B)
www.iheartfw.com

#110 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

It appears to me they have put a new sign for this project. It appears to be more mid-rise and shopping around it for the Retail portion of this project. Sign says Retail and Residential Lofts Coming Soon.

The Website still has the old site plan. I wonder if they are making plans on starting soon?

#111 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

I saw the sign while I was out taking pictures today, but I was not able to turn around. Hopefully, tomorrow I can take a photograph of the new rendering.

#112 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

Since Hughes partnered up with Richard Meyers (sp? Realty Capital out of Colleyville), they have been re-working the plan to add more density. The new rendering looks more like West Village, with retail below and lofts or apartments above. The odd thing is that there are rumors that they are going back to the city for more assistance. It seems backwards because the added density would create a great deal more value and hence should decrease the necessity for any economic development assistance, rather than increase it.

I did hear that the comment was made that the city never really gave the project very much. I think what the city did for them so far is WAY out of line with what the contribution to the tax rolls is. 26 townhomes (is that total---does anyone know) and the city assisted by: 1. Building a road for about 1 million dollars, 2. Defended a lawsuit over the RR at grade crossing, and ultimately paid 1 million dollars for the ROW. Additionally, Mr. Davis received two quiet crossing, a half mil each, so there's another million, and some other perks like the fence you see from 7th that I cannot value, and 3. Redirected a federal trasportation grant of 3.5 million bucks. Let's add: 1+1+1+3.5=6.5 million dollars plaus what I could not quantify.

If the number of townhomes is really 26 (I am NOT sure about the number), and we use the 6.5 million, that's a subsidy of $250,000/PER UNIT. Sorry, when they are selling for top dollar, I think this is completely out of line.

#113 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

That makes me sick. Someone GET to the bottom of this!
www.iheartfw.com

#114 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

Politics as usual in Fort Worth. I don't think there's a bottom to get to, but every time you turn around it seems we're hitting a new low!

#115 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:02 PM

It begins and ends with our elected officials. A subsidy that big and you would think one of them would be living there.

#116 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:43 AM

I am not familiar with the incentives offered to Hughes for So7, however incentives (in general) are absolutely necessary for us to create the needed mixed-use critical mass in the central city. I wouldn't jump too quickly to throw all the local officials under the bus - this project, like the one across the street, is another element of a big catalyst for our city.

Think of it this way: the alternative to investing in our central city is constructing even more infrastructure on the outskirts of town.

Also, there are 60 planned townhouses in phase 1, and at least one mid-rise condo building, plus 125,000 sf of retail space. What you see now is the tip of the iceberg of that project. Not to mention, So7 will motivate others to invest (build and establish and grow new businesses) nearby, which is essential to the sustainability of our local economy.

Get ready, Acme will likely request incentives as well. I would be in favor of incentives that approximate the additional cost of structured parking for them, but not too much more.

#117 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

Urbndwlr, I don't disagree about incentives. The de facto structure of taxes, building codes, transportation, gas prices, zoning, etc. is a set of incentives that makes building in burbs cheap and easy and building in the central city expensive and difficult. Absolutely, there should be incentives to put urban development and redevelopment on par with sububan development in terms of attractiveness.

What I don't like is the piecemeal approach our city takes in the process. I think that it would be much more fair if there was a uniform set of standards for all, instead of this behind the scenes set up where some developers work out deals with individual council members and projects are essentially prioritized by who knows whom.

#118 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

I agree, Sam, while realizing that what you propose would require careful and high quality planning combined with elected officials being willing not to micro-manage. In other words, a significant paradigm shift for Fort Worth.

#119 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:22 PM

Sam,

Your suggestion sounds logical, but I'm wondering how it would be implemented.
Since the incentives all involve valuing individual projects’ impact on the city as whole, setting the formulas would be challenging I suspect. Challenging does not mean ill-advised though.

Would you suggest coming up with some algorithm that determines the subsidy based on various factors such as:
- location within preferred or protected or highly visible zones within the city,
- adding residential density within TOD zone, value of
- adding quality, affordable housing units
- meeting green building standards,
- remediating environmental problems,
- preserving significant architecture,
- providing certain #s of jobs of specific types [executive/high-paying, creative class, blue-collar above living wage]
- etc.

What, in your view, would need to be overcome to impliment this? The forum is as good a place as any to test and launch your idea.

#120 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Thurman52 @ Dec 18 2004, 03:18 PM) View Post

Thanks for the updates and explanation of the railroad settlement.

I found this on the city website about Trinity Parkway.

Trinity Parkway

It has nice Kimberly Horn presentation and the 9 suggest allignments.

I see that residents are complaining about the plan for the parkway. Looking at the alignments proposed, they don't harm the park.

Let the project happen....

#121 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

Sam, hurry up and graduate and then come back and run for city council!

#122 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

No the alignments don't harm the park per se, but they take park land...like the maintenance site across from Harley. The original master plan had the parkway alignment bisecting the So7 project, so the city allowed Hughs to move it...but at what cost? The newly proposed alignment will cost the city much, much more than if it was left where it was originally drawn. For example, it goes right next to the levee which will have to be cut and retained---an expensive venture. Part of the parkway is proposed to be elevated which will probably cost the taxpayers MILLIONS more...and what did the taxpayers get in return? A few extra townhouses on the tax rolls. From an economic perspective, I have never been able to make sense of this project!! BTW, apparently there was some discussion of this with the parks department either at pre-council or council? Anyone see it or catch it on cable?

To me, the plan itself has never made sense: ONE method of ingress and egress and that can be blocked by a train! What if someone's residence is on fire??? How did that possibly get approved by the development department...other than the fact that the plan showed the alternative form of egress going through someone else's property!

#123 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 7 2005, 06:51 PM) View Post
. . . I have never been able to make sense of this project!!! . . .

I've been puzzled over Marriott's decision to locate there since the hotel was first announced. Having worked in the hotel industry years ago, I don't see that location as a good one. Granted, it's near downtown and convenient to University Drive, but their existing hotels at those locations seldom fill up. I've decided that Marriott must know something I don't.

#124 Texas Mike

Texas Mike

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Dec 8 2005, 12:37 PM) View Post

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 7 2005, 06:51 PM) View Post
. . . I have never been able to make sense of this project!!! . . .

I've been puzzled over Marriott's decision to locate there since the hotel was first announced. Having worked in the hotel industry years ago, I don't see that location as a good one. Granted, it's near downtown and convenient to University Drive, but their existing hotels at those locations seldom fill up. I've decided that Marriott must know something I don't.

Actually, I received info from a very reliable source that this location is doing better than expected. They were at capacity yesterday and have been blowing away numbers compared to their other locations.

#125 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

I'm sure the fact that it is brand spanking new will give it KILLER numbers. I am sure it is more economical and quite convenient than most DTFW hotels. Thenumbers will play true within 3 years. The Rodeo scene and Equine stuff will be a big supporter. Possibly.
www.iheartfw.com

#126 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

It's $10/night higher than the University Drive Courtyard; $10/night lower than the one downtown. But if I have business meetings downtown, why stay where I have to take a cab or a shuttle?

#127 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

The hotel part of this project is the only part that has ever made sense to me. The model for this particular segment of Marriot's operation does not require high visibility---just the opposite. Many of the Residence Inns are in tucked away locations---meant to appeal to a guest who is much more than a one nighter, and will eat in their rooms many of the nights they stay. All rooms have full kitchens and are really intended for long term stays. I have been in RI properties where the people I have talked to stay for months. (Insurance adjusters after catastrophies, people doing massive software/hardware installations in commercial sites, etc.) What I don't understand is why Hughs did not put the hotel against the structured parking and warehouses (since the guests don't care), and bring the residential closer to the retail and to Seventh? I think the concept of So7 is okay, but the land plan stinks! Additionally, what the city has given So7 is greatly out of proportion to the value it adds to the city.
Note to self: get off soapbox.
Reply to self: okay already.

#128 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

what the city has given So7 is greatly out of proportion to the value it adds to the city.
Note to self: get off soapbox.
Reply to self: okay already.
Naaah... keep reminding us! Otherwise early onset old-timers lets us fergit!

#129 LiveattheOasis

LiveattheOasis

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

Is this done?

#130 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

Mr. Live, which part are you asking about?
While we were asleep at the wheel, the thoroughfare plan was changed and the parkway was removed. On Tuesday's agenda, the new "preferred" plan is up for discussion..which routes the traffic through Foch Street. That makes NO sense at all!! The city would either have to go up and meet the Lancaster Bridge, or depress Foch below the existing bridge. Neither scenario is economcally justifiable, IMHO.

#131 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(redhead @ Feb 25 2006, 06:13 PM) View Post

Mr. Live, which part are you asking about?
While we were asleep at the wheel, the thoroughfare plan was changed and the parkway was removed. On Tuesday's agenda, the new "preferred" plan is up for discussion..which routes the traffic through Foch Street. That makes NO sense at all!! The city would either have to go up and meet the Lancaster Bridge, or depress Foch below the existing bridge. Neither scenario is economcally justifiable, IMHO.

What if they could raise Lancaster a little and not have to touch Foch? Would that be an Ok scenario?

#132 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Urban Developer

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

SO 7 Requests Variance to Build 200' Tower
Wednesday The city Board of Adjustment will hear a case requesting a variance which will allow S07 to build 80" over the allowable height in MU2 which is 120' or 10 stories.

The request flyes in the face of the Cultural District Plan which protects view corridors to Downtown. The use of this means to circumvent the thoughts of the Comprehensive Plan and protect a iconic view from the Amon Carter and Modern Museum to the skyline should merit some input from the citizens and those who value this unique view. Amon Carter chose this view and its importance as he selected the land and facilitated the purchase of the land by the city which would eventually become the Core of the Cultural District and Will Rogers Memorial Center.

The 120' height currently allowable is certainly ample to create an econpmically viable deal. The reason quoted in the SO 7 filing was the shallow depth of the water table. This close to the Trinity. Not much of a surprise.They want to include 4 floor of parking (40') There are other locations on the 25 acre site to accomidate an addition parking structure.

Input to the BOA could be helpful to the Board on deciding if a hardship exists. Work Session begins at 8:30 Hearing at 9:00)

#133 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the notice. The views from the Cultural District should be preserved and the height of this tower should be limited.

#134 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

Does the proposed structure block any views or is the fear that is is just the first chink in the armour?

One building will not destroy the view (unless stategically located), but this could start a building boom and ultimately block the view.

#135 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

I thought the original plan called for some "highrise" condos. So there's no room for any highrise projects in this development?

#136 jatherton

jatherton

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

The so7 website mentioned on the first page of this thread seems to exist no longer. For another look at the early rendering:

http://www.citycomme...com/pdf/So7.pdf

The tower looked to be about 14 stories at that stage.

#137 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

You're right, I guess I remember the tower being much taller. So7 had a beautiful website. I wonder what happened.

#138 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Thurman52 @ Apr 3 2006, 08:03 AM) View Post

Does the proposed structure block any views or is the fear that is is just the first chink in the armour?

One building will not destroy the view (unless stategically located), but this could start a building boom and ultimately block the view.

The building is sited in the middle of a "View Shed" established in The Cultural District Plan still in force over this area. The MU2 High Intensity Mixed -Use District sets the height limit @ 120 feet or a 10 storey building.This would still accomodate a "High - Rise Condo Tower on the SO7 site.

#139 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:16 AM

What is the status of the Cultural District Plan? Is it a recognized (i.e. by the dity) plan and part of the city's Comprehensive Plan?

#140 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Apr 4 2006, 06:16 AM) View Post

What is the status of the Cultural District Plan? Is it a recognized (i.e. by the dity) plan and part of the city's Comprehensive Plan?

The Cultural District Plan has not be updated since 1990 unlike the Downtown Plan. It hasn't been surplant either so as an adopted plan it is still in force. The CDDI plan prepared by RTKL and urban guidelines being prepared by Gideon Toal are bing finalized and hopefully will be presented to Zoning and Plan Commissions for recomendations to city council in the near future. Both will then be adde to the Comp Plan

#141 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

Accortding to Sandra Baker at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, this building will be constructed in front of the Residence Inn. That location would have a tall building blocking the views of the skyline from the Cultural District.

Below is a link to the article:
http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/14259182.htm

#142 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

After we protect the county courthouse, downtown views from the cultural district (what about views from the housing projects or I.M. Terrell) and re-furb every old building downtown dry.gif , exactly where do we build new office, hotel, and condo towers downtown? conf.gif

We have too many people in the Fort Worth area who commute away from Fort Worth because of a lack of high-salary, white collar employment (or least there are better deals east of 360), not only in Arlington and NE Tarrant, but also in downtown Fort Worth. ph34r.gif

We need a bigger, better downtown and a bigger, better medical district (with a level-1 trama center). wacko.gif

#143 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

Amen to that cjyoung !!!!

People in the efforts to starve the area of development always resort to questions like views, etc. Reminds me of the great smoke stack postings. A smoke stack!!!

As a person who has commuted from SW Fort Worth to Dallas for the last 3+ years, Fort Worth lacks the quality jobs that draw in people who make a city. Those limited quality jobs are in fierce competition and in most cases are $10-$20k less than the same jobs in Dallas County.

Time will tell if the Barnett Shale production will change the current trend.

#144 Joma

Joma

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(cjyoung @ Apr 4 2006, 10:50 AM) View Post

After we protect the county courthouse, downtown views from the cultural district (what about views from the housing projects or I.M. Terrell) and re-furb every old building downtown dry.gif , exactly where do we build new office, hotel, and condo towers downtown? conf.gif

We have too many people in the Fort Worth area who commute away Fort Worth because of a lack of high-salary, white collar employment (or least better deals east of 360), not only in Arlington and NE Tarrant, but also in downtown Fort Worth. ph34r.gif

We need a bigger, better downtown and a bigger, better medical district (with a level-1 trama center). wacko.gif

I also agree with you CJ! Its no wonder why nothing significant gets built around this city! There always seems to be some "issue" that ends it before it even gets started. Stories like this are very frustrating.

#145 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

^^^^^
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want be accused of being anti-FW again. Thank for saying it CJ, FW is so backwards sometimes.

#146 PPoole

PPoole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 4 2006, 01:21 PM) View Post

^^^^^
I was going to say the same thing, but I didn't want be accused of being anti-FW again. Thank for saying it CJ, FW is so backwards sometimes.

A 120' Building is still a highrise and can still accommodate a 10-12 story building. Scale on 7th. Street is important to doing a good urban context. Overpowering the Trinity Park is not worth adding more units at a higher building height. Parking needed for greater density can be added over surface parking lots on the 25 acre site.

#147 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

^^^^^

I said it and I am Mr. Fort Worth (just ask my clients in Miami and New York), so don't worry about it. Say what you feel. dry.gif Fort Worth is a great place with great people, but we've got realize that we're in a buillding race, like it or not. We've got to start scoreboarding Charlotte, Tampa, Pittsburg, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc. mad.gif Yes, it's stupid, but so was the Reagan-led arms race. ph34r.gif

Maybe, having a drug lord own all the cool clubs in town isn't such a bad thing? huh.gif

#148 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(PPoole @ Apr 4 2006, 01:33 PM) View Post

^^^^^

A 120' Building is still a highrise and can still accommodate a 10-12 story building. Scale on 7th. Street is important to doing a good urban context. Overpowering the Trinity Park is not worth adding more units at a higher building height. Parking needed for greater density can be added over surface parking lots on the 25 acre site.

10 stories was considered a highrise in 1910!!! I guess 10-12 stories is still a highrise in FW, but most cities wouldn't think so. And surface parking is wonderful, look at what it did for Montgomery Plaza. And highrises overpowering a park?? Have you seen Turtle Creek and Riverchon Park in Dallas, and Towne Lake in Austin or Piedmont Park in Atlanta? There are new highrises all around them..and they're not overpowering at all. It adds character to what they are...urban parks. As cities around the country are offering citizens a chance for highrise living and beautfiul skyline and park views, FW offers 10 story luxury and a view of the budget hotel next door.

#149 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

I can't see adding surface parking as a good solution to anything.

From the distance of the museums, how much would a building that far away actually block of the skyline? I can imagine it just looking like more of the skyline, actually. Since this is such an issue, is there a rendering of "view from Amon Carter porch" or anything?

#150 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 4 2006, 03:51 PM) View Post

QUOTE(PPoole @ Apr 4 2006, 01:33 PM) View Post

^^^^^

10 stories was considered a highrise in 1910!!!

rotflmao.gif sad.gif cry.gif

Actually, a bunch of 10-12 story buildings would help fill-in the gaps. wink.gif

Hey, look at Austin, they don't have any buildings that are that tall (non taller than the big 5 in Funkytown), yet their downtown looks more complete to me because they have more short buildings over a larger area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users