52 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:31 PM

Details are light currently, but this item is in the upcoming UDC docket. The site is at the NE corner of Exchange and Stockyards Blvd, where the Armour Hotel was previously proposed.  There is currently a vacant building on the site. 

1. UDC-21-037 – Kairoi Stockyards Residential (601 E Exchange Ave.)

Council Districts: 2
Applicant/Agent: Patrick Hazard/Merriman Anderson Architects
Request: The applicant requests a Certificate of Appropriateness for waivers from the
Stockyards Form-Based Standards and Guidelines for the following items:
a. Waiver to allow building façade length to exceed the maximum length of 300
feet. 

Kairoi is a San Antonio-based multifamily developer who's portfolio has everything from garden apartments to 6ix Guadalupe, soon to be the tallest tower in Texas. 

This would be the second multifamily project in the Stockyards, the first being the Swifts Lofts nearby. Both are being designed by Merriman Anderson Architects.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 10:47 PM

Elevation from the UDC docket. Meeting is December 16.

V9FLfHH.jpg

#3 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:52 PM

exciting to get more residential in the Stockyards. 

Interesting note, as I read the 1st message it mentioned 6th and Guadalupe which would be the tallest in Austin so I did some researching and found photo renderings and wow...  that is a terrible looking building; I don't care how tall it is

#4 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 December 2021 - 08:33 PM

I love the idea of MF serving the stockyards, I just dont like the proposed development in its current form. This group is made of veteran developers they should be proposing something that maintains the historic culture of the district and adds green space.

I would require an all brick exterior and ask them to consolidate the footprint, so that a park or large plaza could be built. Definitely thinking about voicing my opinion at the udc meeting.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

More details from UDC docket. The scope of the project is much bigger than I initially realized, occupying almost the entire former Armour site. 

CASE BACKGROUND
The project area is an approximately 18.89-acre parcel at 601 E. Exchange Avenue. The site is located south of Stockyards boulevard, east of Packers avenue, north of Exchange Avenue, and west of the railroad. The site is the historic home of the Armour meatpacking plant. It is currently vacant and only one historic building remains extant. The proposed use (multifamily) is allowed by right under the property’s SY-TSA zoning. The first phase of the project includes approximately 425 units, a two-story office building, and a fitness/amenity building. Surface parking will be provided behind the primary building elevations in addition to resident courtyards. Phase 2 includes one 5-story residential building with approximately 400 units that wraps around the a five-story parking garage. Finally, the existing historic Armour building will be utilized and renovated into a creative office building. 

The applicant is requesting a waiver to allow multiple buildings within the development to exceed 300 feet in length along the street frontage. Specifically, the applicant is requesting waivers for building façade length of the south façade of Building C and the north, east, and south facades of Building E. The south façade of Building C is 441 feet in length; the south and north façades of Building E are 348 feet in length; and the east façade of Building E is 440’ in length. This is similar to the length of, for example, the Pinnacle Bank Place structure along West Lancaster, which is approximately 460 feet in length along the block and similar in mass and scale to the proposed structures. This building is located in the Downtown Urban Design District. Although the Stockyards FBC mandates a maximum 300’ building length in this section of the Stockyards, the proposed design remains generally consistent with the intent of the Swift/Armour subdistrict. This subdistrict is intended to accommodate new development that reflects the general mass and scale of buildings that appeared here traditionally—specifically, large industrial buildings. Historically, buildings in this location exceeded 300 feet in length (see historic aerial from 1952, Figure 2.) For this reason, there is the potential for taller buildings with larger footprints than in other parts of the Stockyards. Therefore, a waiver to building length is less impactful in this subdistrict than it might be in other subdistricts. The developer is also providing access points through buildings C and E passages to facilitate pedestrian circulation around the site, connecting the street to the interior courtyards and the pool area for the multifamily project. These passages have been strategically placed to mitigate building facades that exceed the maximum building length of 300 feet (See Figure 4). In effect, this will break the solid linear mass of the building and mitigate the building length. Staff views this as a positive design feature. However, the pedestrian entrances to interior courtyards and parking should be clearly articulated as distinct from other portion of the façade, and the size of the entrances called out on the final plan set. Please note that the building material, fenestration, and façade waivers are not part of this application. The applicant has been informed that they will need to resubmit an application for the project once they finalize its design concept. Any other waivers requested for building or street standards will also come before the UDC again at that time. Given the above, Staff recommends the following motion: That the request for a Certificate of Appropriateness for a waiver from the Stockyards Form-Based Standards and Guidelines to allow building façade length to exceed the maximum length of 300 feet. be approved:

jJWu7na.png

Znp8Sl2.png

hEZdkDo.png

#6 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:08 PM

Wow, that is a very big project.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:33 PM

Wow, that is a very big project.

Yeh, this is huge. 800+ units! Pretty interesting that they've gone all-residential too, with the exception of the old Armour building. No hotels is especially surprising but I might have expected something a little more "western entertainment" or mixed-use with retail. Not sure how I feel about the current state. But also, I don't know what Majestic is planning on the Swift site to the South. 

#8 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 05:53 PM

Some more retail, entertainment and restaurants would be nice on that side of the stockyards.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:25 AM

If this hits 825+ units in one development I believe it'd be the biggest apartment development in the city. Phase 2 (Building E) alone would one of the larger buildings in the city. A good comparison to that is the recently opened "Thee George" project in Clearfork which is 397 units under one roof. 

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately I dont see that the meeting was recorded on FWTV but CBS picked up the story and it sounds like it might have been continued.

https://dfw.cbslocal...pINVcfmVfTr_7J8

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:56 PM

If this happens, it's all the more reason to be disappointed that TEXRail doesn't serve the Stockyards.

-Dylan

#12 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:12 PM

Curious: What other neighborhood/districts will this location compete against (meaning what other apartment buildings)? 

Its established that people want to live near walkable amenities.  But what I wonder is, if the amenities are geared heavily toward a tourism/visitor audience, does that have the same appeal to residents? 

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 07:29 PM

I think there's enough stuff there in terms of bars and entertainment for the locals to find a nice niche.  Second Rodeo Brewing would probably be my home away from home if I lived walking distance.  Some of the old school dive bars are pretty neat too though.

My blog: Doohickie

#14 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 02:03 PM

Drainage Study hit Accela recently for Kairoi:

Record DS-21-0219: 
Drainage Study
Record Status: In Review

https://accela.fortw...ShowInspection=

Permit Address
601 E EXCHANGE AVE

Record Details
Applicant:
Kimley-Horn
801 Cherry St.
Fort Worth, TX, 76102

Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards
4 MF buildings and an office building.
Owner: WTW PROPERTIES INC
PO BOX 53 HOUSTON, TX 77001

DRAINAGE PROJECT INFO
Total Plat or Project Area (Acres): 19.2
Construction Start Date: September 2022

Other Kairoi properties in FW:
Ge4EyBg.png

#15 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:57 PM

I saw or read somewhere a few days after the hearing that a couple of people spoke against it as they felt the developers should be required to re-use the existing buildings and was sad they were tearing everything down .... uhhhh have you been to the site or just like to complain about everything! 

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:49 PM

From what I understand and I can see from the street, all of the buildings on the site but one, have already been demolished.  According to their site plan, that one building will remain.  Since this appears to be the case, I don't understand their complaints.

#17 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:50 PM

I saw or read somewhere a few days after the hearing that a couple of people spoke against it as they felt the developers should be required to re-use the existing buildings and was sad they were tearing everything down .... uhhhh have you been to the site or just like to complain about everything! 

I'm sort of on the fence with that one.  To some, there's inherent value even in urban decay.  I would like to know more about would could be potentially saved or reused before it is blindly torn down forever, even certain structural elements, walls, columns, stairs that are still intact to be re-used as part of something else especially if there is historic value or significance. 

I also know that some people also have a hard time flushing the toilet in the morning...meaning they want to hold onto absolutely everything despite having no more useful value.

#18 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:59 PM

They might be thinking of the Swifts Lofts development to the South a bit, which would tear down the old Fertilizer House.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:06 PM

I'm having a lot of trouble with my computer today, so I can't post the image of the building that will remain.  As far as I know the land has been more or less scraped, and the only historic element remaining on the Armour site is the building that is still standing.  That one building is not individually designated as a local landmark, but it is included in the Local and National Historic Districts.

As Austin just mentioned, these people may be thinking about the Swift Lofts, which would indeed demolish the Swift Fertilizer Building.  It is not individually designated or within the local historic district boundaries.  I do believe the Fertilizer Building is within the National Register Historic District Boundaries.  It is unfortunate that the boundaries of the Local and National Districts are not the same.  It makes it more difficult to check the designations.

#20 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:34 PM

either way, there is nothing there worth saving. I was in it a week or so back for someone and frankly, much of it I wouldn't go thru! It is only the second building I have been in that literally made me nervous and I've been in some pretty rough buildings

#21 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:04 AM

I guess this is all negated now that Hickmans group filed to remove allowing apartments from approved zoning on both Armour and swift sites which makes zero sense as they were going to do Apartments on the Swift site. Something tells me they are doign this just to block another devleoper from doing apartments as they want to. Same thing they did with the Armour Hotel Project, blocked it as they didn't want it competing with the Drover. 

#22 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 08:07 PM

Record PP-22-022

Preliminary Plat
Record Status: Applied

Record Details
Applicant:
Jeff Landon
Kimley-Horn
801 Cherry St.
Fort Worth, TX, 76102
jeff.landon@kimley-horn.com
Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards Multifamily
Prelim Plat of 3 Multifamily lots and 2 Commercial lots

Developers information
Shawn Hatter
711 Navarro Street Suite 400
San Antonio, TX, 78205
E-mail:
--------------@kairoi.com

GENERAL INFORMATION
Extraterritorial Jurisdiction:No
County:Tarrant
Total Acreage:19.26
Total Residential Lots:2
Primary Use:Multi-Family Residential

#23 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Pretty sure they filed this already back in December, but here's another drainage study for Kairoi Multifamily filed recently.  I forgot the property owner is still listed as "Niles City Resort LTD" which makes sense considering other iterations of the Armour Hotel from around 2017. 

Record DS-22-0150: 
Drainage Study
Record Status: In Review

Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards Multifamily
4 multifamily buildings and 1 office building. Constructed in 2 phases

Total Plat or Project Area (Acres):19.26

I forgot about this back from 2017:
Screen%20Shot%202017-10-18%20at%202.56.3

#24 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 03:23 PM

It's hit TDLR

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2022023452

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 July 2022 - 11:49 AM

Appears the proposed office building has been removed in this new TDLR filing.

#26 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 01:16 PM

Appears the proposed office building has been removed in this new TDLR filing.

Is that part of "a future phase for development?"

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 13 July 2022 - 09:19 PM

I believe it was removed from the scope of the project but not sure why. 

#28 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:37 AM

New Building Permits hit Accela:

Project Description:
In summary, the use of the Kairoi Stockyards development is for multi-family apartment living. The development includes five multifamily apartment buildings, as well a future development phase including a leasing office with amenities for residents. Amenities include an outdoor courtyard, a fitness center, private sky lounge at the 4th floor of building E. Operational hours can be assumed at regular operating business hours for the leasing office, and resident only all-hours access to the lobby, fitness, and sky lounge.

Job Value($): $9,011,923.00 / Housing Units:1

Job Value($): $6,234,121.00 / Housing Units:81

Job Value($): $6,768,698.00 / Housing Units:83

Job Value($): $6,285,148.00 / Housing Units:79

Job Value($): $5,856,186.00 / Housing Units:1

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:26 AM

There are still zoning changes going on at this location: https://www.fortwort...0-22-docket.pdf

Amend the land use table in the Fort Worth Stockyards Form-Based Code and Design Guidelines to remove multifamily from certain Stockyard districts. Multifamily will no longer be an allowed use in the following districts:

• Edge Commercial Corridor District “SY-ECC-68”

• Transition Northern Edge District “SY-TNE-105”

• Transition Neighborhood Mixed-Use District “SY-TNX-55”

• Transition Neighborhood Mixed-Use District “SY-TNX-80”

• Transition Swift/Armour District “SY-TSA-80”

• Transition Swift/Armour District “SY-TSA-105”

• Transition Swift/Armour District “SY-TSA-130”

#30 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:04 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if a different developer has a different idea for this land.

If Texas were to ever legalize gambling, I think this would be a great sport for a casino / mega resort, complete with a Vegas-style theater and buffet.

Perhaps we could build something like the Gaylord Texan, but with a Vegas-style theater and buffet.

It would be big compared to other Stockyards buildings, but so is this proposed apartment complex.

-Dylan

#31 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 05:24 AM

Star-Telegram:
With apartments booming in Fort Worth, the city is trying to slow them in the Stockyards

Zoning Commission considering prohibiting apartments east of Packers Street and Niles City Boulevard.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 10:12 AM

Most interesting part:

Any part of the project currently in the city’s development pipeline would be grandfathered in with the old zoning, a spokesperson for the city’s development services department said.

#33 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:08 PM

I was out of town and I thought Austin55 posted this but if not, here's the grading permit for Kairoi:

Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards

Permit Address
400 E Exchange

Disturbed Acres: 13.75

Record CG22-00253: 
Commercial Grading Permit
Record Status: Plan Review

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 04:58 PM

It hit TDLR today: https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023004436

BizJournals picked up on it: https://www.bizjourn...esidential.html

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 07:59 AM

Here's another article on the project from The Real Deal:

https://therealdeal....-zoning-change/

#36 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 04 November 2022 - 08:58 AM

So out of curiosity... this is a question to forum members.

Do you think this project is good or bad for the Stockyards? 

As someone who grew up in and now has returned to the Northside to live I am excited for this project but I do understand some of the concerns.  However the one thing I found perplexing in the article is someone claiming that Residential doesn't "fit" the Old West vibe. 

#37 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the article link John.  They really are trying to bump up the groundbreaking ahead of the zoning change.  I just checked Accela and they filed four New Building Permits on 11/2/22 and 11/3/22 this week:

Record PB22-19869: 
Commercial New Building Permit
Record Status: Pending

Record PB22-19868: 

Record PB22-19867: 

Record PB22-19866: 

Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards
In summary, the use of the Kairoi Stockyards development is for multi-family apartment living. The development includes five multifamily apartment buildings, as well as a leasing office with amenities for residents. Amenities include an outdoor courtyard, dog grooming building, a fitness center, private sky lounge at the 4th floor of building E. Operational hours can be assumed at regular operating business hours for the leasing office, and resident only all-hours access to the lobby, fitness, and sky lounge.

#38 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 09:12 AM

As someone who grew up in and now has returned to the Northside to live I am excited for this project but I do understand some of the concerns.  However the one thing I found perplexing in the article is someone claiming that Residential doesn't "fit" the Old West vibe. 

Here's my opinion on your question: (in the most general sense) this type of development "normalizes" what I consider a unique and historical area.  I worry that too much "New" will commercialize the stockyards to the point that it's just another place to "Eat. Live. Play."  I've always liked the undisturbed feeling of the old buildings, even some of the urban decay that existed on that site.  I also enjoy some of the emptiness of the buildings in the Stockyards, the quietness of walking around on an afternoon looking around but not fighting crowds of people or dealing with traffic jams.  It just not in my DNA to fall in love with some apartments and seems too heavy-handed.  I'm not anti-change completely but would prefer for some of this type of development to be a bit further out from the historical district.

#39 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:13 AM

Im against the city restricting residential zoning further. The proposed zones for residential, like the project in question, has a decent buffer from the certain historic areas many of us love.

No one is proposing condos to replace or build on top of an iconic building. We could look at Nashville as an example of what not to do and best practices for maintaining historic charm, tourist experience, and residential living.

If we expect to grow the stockyards we need to supply housing for the people who work within the stockyards.

#40 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:56 AM

Kairoi Ph. II hits TDLR:

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023005607

PROJECT
Project Name: Kairoi Stockyards Phase II
Project Number: TABS2023005607
Facility Name: Kairoi Stockyards Phase II
Location Address: 400 E. Exchange Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76164
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 7/1/2023
Completion Date: 1/1/2026
Estimated Cost: $48,602,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: New construction of a multi-family residential building. One level of below grade parking, two levels of parking above grade with residential wrap, and 5 levels of wood frame apartment units above.
Square Footage: 328,933 ft 2

#41 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:58 PM

Kairoi Ph. II hits TDLR:

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2023005607

PROJECT
Project Name: Kairoi Stockyards Phase II
Project Number: TABS2023005607
Facility Name: Kairoi Stockyards Phase II
Location Address: 400 E. Exchange Ave.
Fort Worth, TX 76164
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 7/1/2023
Completion Date: 1/1/2026
Estimated Cost: $48,602,000
Type of Work: New Construction
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: New construction of a multi-family residential building. One level of below grade parking, two levels of parking above grade with residential wrap, and 5 levels of wood frame apartment units above.
Square Footage: 328,933 ft 2

CONSTRUCTION INFORMATION
Total Job Value - This Permit Only: $48,601,844
Estimated Cost - Structure Only: $40,096,521
Housing Units: 331

#42 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 12:30 PM

UDC Filing for 400 E. Exchange.  I'm guessing this will hit the January docket?

#43 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:56 PM

UDC Filing for 400 E. Exchange.  I'm guessing this will hit the January docket?

Another UDC Filing for Kairoi:

#44 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:26 AM

On the subject of multi-family residential development in or near the Stockyards, the City Council has put a stop to future projects in a recent vote on zoning.  Not sure this link was posted in the forum elsewhere but here's the article from FWBP.  

https://fortworthbus...ing-stockyards/

#45 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 08:38 PM

It is definitely a balancing act, you don't want to overwhelm the "Entertainment Development" by cramming in a ton of new apartments. But I do think it is essential to have a residential component to making something like this work. While there is a ton going on in the S-Yards, there are still only so many events that are held to drive people in. You have to have locals fill in the gaps. A lot of that is already happening with some great restaurants and things being done now. The issue is, how often will people "DRIVE" 10, 20, 30 miles to go have dinner and take in some of the things down there. People might on occasion but not very often. 

As some examples of it working and not working take a look at Deep elm in Dallas, somewhat similar, it was always pretty cool on the weekends but once all the loft conversions happened Many on here may not be old enough to remember there was a Deep Elm before all the Apartments Guess I am aging myself lol. it exploded after the lofts, to the dislike of the folks who had been going for years. But what can ya say. As Dallas I think now has completed the transfer of Fair Park to a Private Entity that is one of the issues being talked about. How do we get people here on a regular basis. One of the biggest things being discussed its them same thing, bring in more residential. On the flip side, the lack of residential in the West End in Dallas is what many will tell you caused it to die. Remember back in the day there was very little residential down there or in Downtown. Yea, people would go every once in a while but was to big of a hassle to drive, park, deal with the panhandlers etc.. I was surprised no one ever was willing to take it on again now there are thousands living down there. 

At the end of the day, the city and lots of people have a HUGE financial interest in making S-Yards work long term, to that end, Residential will be a good thing for the area. Personally I think this is to big, I would rather see one of the buildings done and then see every second floor of any building up and down Main Street converted to Apts as well as some of the existing 2 and 3 story buildings converted.  

#46 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 08:08 AM

A Commercial New Bldg Permit filed for Kairoi:

https://aca-prod.acc...ShowInspection=

Project Description:
Kairoi Stockyards
In summary, the use of the Kairoi Stockyards development is for multi-family apartment living. The development includes five multifamily apartment buildings, as well as a leasing office with amenities for residents. Amenities include an outdoor courtyard, dog grooming building, a fitness center, private sky lounge at the 4th floor of building E. Operational hours can be assumed at regular operating business hours for the leasing office, and resident only all-hours access to the lobby, fitness, and sky lounge.

Job Value($): $9,011,923

Total Sq Footage: 116,388

#47 Presidio Interests

Presidio Interests

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 04:27 PM

arch-image, good call in comparing to other historic districts that might shed some light on the choice here.

Fort Worth can have it one of two ways, either:

1) a single use (destination entertainment) based on the historic bones, that can accomodate massive events like huge conventions, world fairs, expos etc... 

or

2) a more organic-feeling, more "real, local" district that includes a lot of tourist-oriented destinations, restaurants and retial, but also has actual local people living in and around the neighborhood (not just visitors, employees, and cowboys on the payroll), BUT it wouldn't be able to accommodate the same massive scale of events because much of the land would have residential use. 

I think the French Quarter and surrounding historic NHs in New Orleans serve as a good example to consider too.

I would want to know what sort of events we might host if we (the city/Stockyards) reserve it for the pure destination/event space. 

For example, if the Olympics or some massive expo were to be on the table one day in the future, would that be a place we wish we had reserved? 

#48 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 03:22 PM

Site plan from the plat directory: https://apps.fortwor.../AP-23-1106.pdf

EJqEMne.png

#49 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 04:06 PM

The courtyard sort of caught my attention.

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,698 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 04:54 PM

Drove by today, looks like its getting going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users