- - - - -

Top 10 Things You Want Downtown

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 Sam B Stone

Sam B Stone
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:38 PM

This may be poll-worthy but for now I'll just put up my own free form list. These are in no particular order, just the things I most want to see downtown. Some of them I would like to have ANYWHERE in FW, but especially downtown. Here's my list, I'd like to see yours.

10. late night restaurant
9. dry cleaners
8. grocery store
7. video store
6. independent/art house cinema
5. bowling alley
4. mid range gym (between larry north and the Y)
3. more street food vendors
2. independent coffee house
1. live music venues

#2 Urbndwlr FW

Urbndwlr FW
  • Guests

1. at least 3 trendy clothing boutiques (selling both mens and womens - both casual and dressy)
2. large cafe, independent book store (unique to FW, contemporary space, prominent sidewalk lounging/drinking space)
3. "art house" movie theater (separate from AMC theaters)
4. at least 2 quality, small live music venues (both indoor and ones w/ outdoor space)
5. a very very good sushi restaurant/hibachi grill
6. at least 2 nationally respected art galleries
7. modern/contemporary boutique hotel with cool lounge/hotel bar (ideally bar would have a view/good patio for lounging)
8. street trees (live oaks or red oaks) around the perimeter of every surface parking lot
9. independent record store (entertainment/retail) - could double as cafe/clothing retailer
10. central piazza or "square" on the lot beside/around the Jett Building.

#3 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

In no particular order....

A Decent Music Store. Fort Worth does not have one. For me, I am pretty much out of luck in any city I go to in terms of CD reissues of the kind of music I mostly listen to - 1920s and 1930s pop. Thank goodness for stores on the Internet which specialize in such stuff. However, sometimes I want to be able to go out and buy something new to listen to right now and not have to wait a week for it to arrive by mail. Occasionally, I am able to find something along those lines at the Tower Records on Lemmon Avenue in Dallas or the Borders on Preston Road. At the very least, Tower Records has a VERY nice classical music section and I have been able to pick up some stuff that is pretty obscure in the USA such as Kalman operettas. Unfortunately, I have little hope that something like this will be possible in Fort Worth as music retailers are having a hard time and I understand that Tower Records has, in fact, filed for bankruptcy. The music section at the Barns & Nobel on University is pretty lame. The Borders on Hulen at I-20 for some reason has a better music section than the Borders at Hulen and I-30 - but, for some reason, neither are as good as the one on Preston Road in Dallas.

A USED BOOKSTORE WITH "CHARACTER." I miss Barbers! One could find all sorts of obscure and interesting stuff there. The Half Price Books near Ridgmar and the one on Hulen are ok - but the huge flagship store on Northwest Highway is MUCH better. There is also a VERY nice used bookstore on the town square in Denton.

AN INDIAN RESTAURANT WITH A BUFFET. Especially one that has the buffet open during evening hours as well. Indian is my favorite ethnic cuisine, even more so than Tex-Mex which for me is saying a lot. A buffet is nice because I can have a little bit of everything and am not forced to decide on having one thing at the exclusion of everything else.

A WHITE CASTLE HAMBURGER STAND. I love White Castle hamburgers - and those frozen ones you buy in the supermarket are not quite the same. Why can't we have them here in Texas? I will even take a Crystal Burger opening up Crystal is sort of a Southern version of White Castle except they ruin their burgers by saturating them with mustard. But if you order a Crystal Burger without the mustard, they taste very similar to White Castle.

A REAL FARMERS' MARKET. I am talking about something along the lines of what Dallas used to have with their farmers' market years ago before the turned the place into a construction zone in order to "gentrify" it and scared away many of the farmers and much of the wholesale business that made the place unique. The Farmers' Market in Dallas is but a shadow of its former self - but even in its presently reduced state, it is far better than that half-hearted attempt next to the Rail Market.

A CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL/MOVIE HOUSE. This is something that could dovetail with suggestions others have made for an art house cinema. What I would like to see is showings of classic movies on the big screen. Many cities with restored movie palaces will have a series of classic movie showings - and they often attract decent crowds. Years ago, when I was in Boston, there was a multi-screen movie theatre in Cambridge near Harvard which featured mostly old movies as well as some art house stuff. The admission price for the old movies was a dollar or two. If my memory is correct, it had 3 screens - though I may be wrong on that. Most of the films only ran for a night or two so, in a month's time, quite a number of different pictures were featured. There are SO many great films that have been made down through the decades and watching them on video is NOT the same thing as seeing them in a theatre on a big screen.

A LIGHT OPERA COMPANY. This wouldn't be competition to the Fort Worth Opera or the Dallas Opera but something which would complement both. It would specialize in operettas as opposed to grand opera. Stuff like Franz Lehar, Emerrich Kalman, Victor Herbert, Gilbert and Sullivan etc. For a brief period during the 80s Dallas had a small company called the Dallas Lyric Opera which set itself apart from the other opera company by only performing in English. What made me a fan, however, was the fact that they tended to specialize in operetta and I got to see a couple of Gilbert and Sullivan productions. They mostly performed in that small theatre in Snyder Plaza. Unfortunately, the company was not able to survive.

A DIME STORE WITH LUNCH COUNTER/SODA FOUNTAIN. One of the things that used to be really fun about visiting downtown Dallas was to go to the HL Green store in the Wilson Building - though by the time that I was going there, it was much reduced in size and was a shadow of what it once was. I always used to love checking out the Woolworth stores in other downtowns I would visit. But that is not going to happen, I'm afraid in Fort Worth as dime stores are all but extinct except in a few Northeastern cities where there is still enough pedestrian traffic to keep them open. Of course, all of the really good dime stores had lunch counters/soda fountains. Maybe someone could convince Dollar General to open up a downtown location with an attached lunch counter. That's not quite the real deal - but it is better than nothing. In fact, considering the number of bus riders downtown, most of whom are probably of relatively low income, I am kind of surprised a dollar store of some sort hasn't already opened up.

A JAZZ CLUB. I guess it would be too much to expect a place that specializes in 1920s and 1930s jazz dance bands. But it would be nice to at least have a place which regularly features some decent traditional jazz.

ELECTRIC SIGNS. I have mentioned this before in other threads. We need neon rooftop signs on vintage buildings and more neon signs like the ones put up by the Ranch radio station and the Sundance Garage. Such signs will make downtown feel more like a real city.

#4 Nick

Nick
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

Dismuke I so agree with you about the need for rooftop Light.With the yellow trim on the buildings tradition gone.We need to light things up !

#5 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:39 PM

Yes. And another thing along the same lines I have said before and will say many, many more times because it is something which is just CRYING out to be done - they need to illuminate the architectural details of the upper floors of The Fair/Commerce Building. The owners are already spending money to light up the white Christmas lights on the building - so I doubt it will cost any more from an electric bill standpoint. It is beyond me how anyone who owns something so beautiful would not want to show it off - especially when the thing is something which generates revenue and showing it off can only help to increase its visibility.

#6 pmburk

pmburk
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:40 PM

I agree with everything dismuke has suggested. I love the idea of more neon & electric signs downtown. Kudos to 95.9 the Ranch for their fabulous downtown sign! I also love the idea of a dime store with a lunch counter. I grew up in Weatherford and for years City Pharmacy on the square had a lunch counter with the best food in town and great prices, run by the wonderful Annie Hoese. Oh, how I miss those days! The counter is still there, but I'm unsure if it is still open for lunch, and if so, I know it is no longer run by Annie and thus I'm unsure about the quality of the food.

I do have to disagree on White Castle, although my husband would be the first in line backing you up on that!

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:42 PM

This is not in order of preference

1. Major corporate relocation (>2,000 jobs) or several smaller relocations.
2. Five star hotel
3. Five star restaurant
4. Transport Life and Landmark Tower projects actually happen
5. New 20,000 seat arena
6. Large 4-star convention hotel
7. Large specialty grocery store - more organics than Central Market and less green hair and tatoos than Whole Foods
8. Bring back the Caravan of Dreams
9. To have the tower that John designed built in the center of downtown.
10. A major, urban research university - The University of Fort Worth

Peace

#8 Sam B Stone

Sam B Stone
  • Guests

Good to see you posting again, CJ. It seems like it's been awhile. I'd definitely like to see all those things happen.

So where's everyone else? I was really hoping for more lists. Or critiques of ours.

#9 cjyoung

cjyoung
  • Guests

Times are tough in the IT industry.

Long hours and flat wages.

Peace

#10 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:59 AM

INPO

Used book store with ample lounge areas…

Containers Store.

More trees, fast growing American Sycamores and long life Red or White Oaks.

Street food / drink vendors…

Dry cleaner laundry services.

DVD / Video store.

Convenient reliable pharmacy.

Foot and / or Mounted Patrols to ensure panhandlers, vagrants, etc… don’t take up residence.

Eclectic food selection with a shared seating area.

Lofts for purchase NOT for rent.

#11 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

#1 - Affordable loft apartments for us recent TCU young professionals! (anybody seen the lofts in downtown waco? They're huge and cheep!)
#2 - Pete's dueling piano bar (opens July 30th!)
#3 - More mainstream concerts at the convention center (as opposed to Smirnoff or Next Stage)
#4 - Pei Wei rules
#5 - More TCU basketball games at the Convention Center
#6 - Legit produce / farmers market
#7 - The Convention Center Hotel / Ramada Project
#8 - Skyline High-Rise resaurant or two
#9 - Enough downtown residents to support a Tom Thumb
#10 - First Class Tom Thumb store

#12 pyrrhusmj

pyrrhusmj

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:07 AM

Everything I want has been covered, mainly better restaurants and entertainment to include indie film venues.

The one thing I do wish there was more of: Grass!!!!!! Downtown needs more parks with grass. I want to move downtown, but wife won't let me until there are more conveinent palces to walk the dogs.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:25 PM

a.) More balconies
b.) Covered/canopied sidewalks with overhead fans;
c.) Pipes that spray fine mists of water from above along every sidewalk downtown
d.) A mural on the north elevation of the Kress Building
e.) The "Olde" Arlington Stadium's Jumbotron perched above the
North Portal of the Convention Center Arena
f.) The Fed's deed the Olde Main Post Office Building to the city and converted it
into the new city aquarium

Six down and four to go.

g.) Luminary lights in every tree bounded by Belknap St to the north; Vickery Blvd. to the south; Jones St to the east; and Henderson St. to the west.

h.) a media center where live programming and studio audiences can participate

Eight down and two to go.

And oh yeah, move b. and c. to the top of the list; Its hot in Fort Worth in July!!!

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy!"

#14 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:47 AM

I've been visualizing the Post offic and TP (offices portion) as being the new City Hall. The connecting structure could be modified to a parking garage for employees and visitors. All bill paying & general public areas & maybe the council chambers could be in PO with the old main hallway restored -- removing the ugly drop flourscent fixtures with more appropriate recessed fixtures. The office building could house all departmental offices. A City Hall on the new Lancaster with entrances from Vickery or Lancaster.

#15 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

I like the idea of having the city hall in the post office building.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

Yes. Great idea to put City Hall in the Old Main Post Office. The building and the Texas and Pacific Warehouse could be the a stately civic complex for the next 100 years.

Deed the current Civic Center to Tarrant County College District.

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy- and Historically Correct"

#17 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

Does Fort Worth have a landmark that "defines Fort Worth?"

I'm referring to a single building or structure that when you see it, Fort Worth comes immediately to mind. Most major cities have a building or two that easily fit that description.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:13 PM

The answer is really no. However, if I had to put a landmark building on that list, I think I would have to say the Tarrant County Courthouse.

#19 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:13 AM

I agree with John that the courthouse is probably the most recognized building associated with Fort Worth, but I think the spaceship is a close second.

As for the rest of this thread, I live downtown and think that the grocery issue is overblown. Are you really going to walk and carry your groceries?? I lived in a very dense urban envirmonment (Cambridge, MA, about two blocks from Harvard) and still drove to do major grocery shopping. Would I really want to walk carrying a twenty pound box of kitty litter?? I would suggest that a very nice old timey market with fresh meat and produce and maybe flowers would be a different story---like Eatzies, or better yet the place they copied---Sutton Place Gourmet in Bethesda, MD. More RTE (ready to eat) type food which is the trend anyway...

I agree with most of Sam's ideas. We do need service sector industries, drycleaners-or better yet full service laundry, where they pick up and do wash/dry/fold...had that before and it's easy to get spoiled! Better choice of hair/nail salons and definitely some hip clothing boutiques. We desperately need a few restaurants that serve food after nine, and I'd add a Thai one to the mix. (Someone said we need sushi, and there is a good suhi/hibachi right next to the Tower---I eat there once a week and can't recall the name. It's under the Pour House.)

As for all of the "green" fans, I agree. It's tough to have a dog in town with the small amount of green space, and the trees are PATHETIC!!! We need agressive deciduous trees that will have broad canopies before everyone in this forum (except Johnny, of course) is dead!! The oaks just won't do it...Charlotte started later than FW did in their downtown and they already have fabulous SHADY tree-lined streets!

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:14 AM

Hmmm, courthouse maybe,

But I would add the "Flying Saucer" Downtown Arena!

And to make the short list longer, how about the Will Rogers Center and the Kimbell, or the Amon Carter facade for that matter. Um, and the Northside Coliseum.

Pup

#21 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

Hey, Pup, I think we are referring to the same thing. I just called it a "spaceship" and you called it a "flying saucer.." What about the new Modern Art Museum? Maybe over time that is the building that defines Fort Worth. It's certainly gottten more national coverage than the courthouse or the spaceship!

#22 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hyde Park and the Central Plaza (if THAT ever happens) should help with green space. I wish the Will Rogers tower had an observation deck, that would be a pretty cool landmark for the city.

#23 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 08:00 PM

The're off to a good start with downtown, but here is my wish list:

1. A few more skyscrapers including a FW-specific landmark that is more than 800 feet tall and redefines the skyline. Of course, it would be well lit at night and have a restaraunt/bar at the top. And, of course, the corp. relocations and white collar jobs to fill them up.
2. More lights on signature structures, including more neon signs.
3. If the're going to destroy the Tandy Center, I'd like to see them preserve the skating rink in a Rockerfeller Center sort of way. Create outdoor space overlooking the rink and of course inclose it so it doesn't turn into a wading pool in the summer. The green space could also double as a great outdoor music venue... maybe an ampitheater that is also shaded and is an inviting place to eat meals from the new food vendors when it's not being used for concerts.
4. Safe Water Gardens that are not visually raped by guard rails and safety equipment. Maybe even add a new pool/fountain that draws attention and people to the Southern end of downtown. Hey, here is an idea - if they had a pool that was actually designed for wading/splashing, maybe people wouldn't be so tempted to get in the pools that aren't designed for wading/swimming. Maybe a giant gieser spraying water spouts that could be seen from I-30.
5. An indie/art film movie theater. And, since Sundance is getting a little dense, I'd like to see some more developments start moving South.
6. The T&P Warehouse converted to include: big box retailers and trendy boutiques on the bottom levels, a small and exclusive hotel, some large lofts, and a rooftop club/bar/restaurant.
7. A unique public market - maybe at the T&P Warehouse - that rivals Pike Market Place in Seattle. I think the Rail Market is a nice idea... but the city couldn't have picked out a worse location for something like that.
8. A new, architectually significant City Hall. Ours is simply embarassing.
9. Some cool outdoor giant screen TV's like the one's that wrap around buildings in Times Square in New York. Of course, we'd need to build the new modern skyscapers to put them on since we wouldn't want to put those on any of our historyic buildings. Maybe those can go on all the new high rises that are *going* to be build between the Pier 1 building and the core downtown area. <_<
10. A professional Sports Team (Maybe the FW Cowboys - lol) with a big stadium overlooking the new Trinity River Vision site and downtown.

Bonus: More horse back cops. I like the bikes, but the horses really add a cool element.

#24 jubjubking

jubjubking

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 07:40 PM

1: Great mid-upper tier retail establishments (Urban Outfitters, Diesel, Gap)

2: Late Night Dining...Maybe a real chinese resturant(no buffets),all night pizzerias and maybe a great,non-chain sandwich shop. Man cannot live by subway alone.

3: Better ad signage on buildings,similar to great billboards and signs you'd find in NYC or London,as well as putting back the icons such as the CNB clock.

4: A complete renewal and redesign of the water gardens. Something thats safe for splashing around in for the kids and kids at heart, while also catching the artistic eye as well.

5: A true indie/art movie theater, Angelka has done some great work in this and should see about buying the AMC sundance. Its still a great theater and it could be converted to this use. Also, a "cinema grill/tavern" concept would be great for this location as well.

6: More affordable(Read: Not Section 8) loft/apartment properties in downtown and/or the surrounding areas. Something for us blue collar folks who make 30-40k a year who dont get food stamps.

7: Light Rail, plain and simple

8: More FWPD units downtown,esp. after closing time on weekends. Rent-a-bike cops cant keep up.

9: Greenspace. We could use alot more trees and urban parks.

10: Establishment of a total homeless ban,with enforcement, downtown. Its worked in other major cities,namely houston, and it can work here. Dont take this as a slam to the homeless, but the city should invest,along with private sector and the religious community to help control and assist in job retraining, substance and medical treatment.

#25 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:40 AM

Ditto

#26 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:15 AM

There is good stuff in this old post, since things have changed and new projects announced, its time to ammend...

#1 - Affordable apartments for me and jubjub (but as a student I qualify for section 8)
#2 - More mainstream concerts at the Convention Center (as opposed to Smirnoff or Next Stage)
#3 - More TCU basketball games at the Convention Center
#4 - New high visibility, unique, and lit skyscrapper to redifine the downtown look from the interstates not the river!
#5 - Good Lord somebody do something about Lancaster & the Train buildings!!!!
#6 - Late night restaurant, how about a famous non-franchised breakfast/deli joint for 3:00 AM pancakes?

PS. I'm surprised you guys list the Courthouse over Bass Hall as the signature fort worth structure!

#27 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

#2 - More mainstream concerts at the Convention Center (as opposed to Smirnoff or Next Stage)
#3 - More TCU basketball games at the Convention Center

Or better yet, a new arena altogether and demolishment of the CC Arena. I think that would be the best option for attracting concerts and sporting events (heck, maybe even an actual franchise.)

#28 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:46 AM

SAVE THE SPACESHIP! Fort Worth's TRUE Signature Building!

Woof!
Pup

#29 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:21 AM

How about 10,000 jobs? :?:

#30 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:26 PM

I'm thinking more along the lines of 50,000...so we can get up to 100,000 in total downtown employment.

#31 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:03 AM

I'm thinking more along the lines of 50,000...so we can get up to 100,000 in total downtown employment.

View Post

Maybe by the time you finish at Duke or Stanford, we'll be talking about job growth in the same way we talk about population growth on the Far Northside. :D

#32 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

A lot of larger cities throughout the U.S. and the world are making it easier for people to get online while they are in the downtown area. Fort Worth should talk to SBC and/or Charter about getting wireless internet setup in the downtown area. This is a very popular idea which cities in the U.S. such as Austin and Seattle, for example, have begun to acquire and cities abroad such as Seoul, South Korea have also embraced in a big way. Wanting people to spend time in the downtown area does not mean just shopping or riding a bike or eating, people who enjoy surfing the internet or checking and writing e-mails don't necessarily want to do so within the confines of the walls of their house. Even starting out with just a Sundance Square Wi-Fi access would encourage people to spend more time in the area and bring in more money. Also with the advent of a new downtown TCC campus this kind of access to the internet could be really beneficial to students as well as workers and families living in the area.

FW S-T article: http://www.dfw.com/m...10345440.htm?1c

#33 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:45 PM

That is one of the best ideas I've heard yet! Brilliant!

Any idea how much something like that costs?

#34 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:22 PM

I found an article on muniwireless.com that might help understand how it works but no real info on size of network vs. cost. That would have to be a case study done by the city of Fort Worth or Sundance Square management possibly. Here's a link to the article I read and don't forget to read some of the comments below the article(interesting):

http://www.muniwirel...ves/000452.html

Whether these access points are paid for by the city or paid for by charging the customer a low fee, the option to access the internet is still there and I believe that there are a lot of people that would find that idea to be exciting.

This is a slightly different situation, but let me tell you that on my way to Korea I stopped at Seattle for approximately 7 hours and sat in the airport with just my laptop. The internet access wasn't free, but I was willing to pay for it based on a one-day charge of, I believe, $6. Also available was the one week charge and the monthly charge set up by the ISP that implemented the network, depending on how long you needed access. With the amount of business that is being brought into downtown, I don't see why something couldn't be done. Heck, last time I was in Billy Miner's, which was about a year ago, they had signs up saying that they would be getting X-Box games and wireless internet in their restaurant ;) .

Anyway, just a thought.

#35 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:37 PM

Billy Miners is now a hotspot and it works well.. Same with Zoë and Zolon (and I would expect the entire first floor of the new Bank One bldg since they have two wireless access points on both sides of the building.. I'll have to try it from PFChangs and see ;) )

Anyway, the phenomenon you're talking about is called a WIRELESS CLOUD, and it's already in place in Athens Georgia .. here's a neat article about it from the old days of 2002

http://archives.cnn....wireless.cloud/

"They're building a 'cloud' over several blocks of the downtown area where anyone with the right equipment can have free Internet access. " .. That'd be so easy to have in place here in our downtown.

#36 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 02:35 PM

I'm going to amend my initial list and switch video store with wifi. I just ran across this article:
http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/10414855.htm

and it made me think of someone's earlier post (scanned them but didn't find it) remarking how Blockbuster didn't envision itself being in existence ten years from now. Their new "no late fee" policy looks like they're trying to divest themselves of their inventory and cover themselves from lawsuits.

From the look of those websites, free downtown wifi access is catching on. This is an occasion where Fort Worth could be ahead of the local curve or behind it. I think those of us with access to the policymakers (you know who you are) should take advantage of those relationships and push this issue.

#37 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

From the look of those websites, free downtown wifi access is catching on.  This is an occasion where Fort Worth could be ahead of the local curve or behind it.  I think those of us with access to the policymakers (you know who you are) should take advantage of those relationships and push this issue.

View Post

As someone who designs and installs enterprise wireless networks, I hope money isn't waisted implementing some type of unsecure, problematic, and Internet clogging wireless network downtown.

#38 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:05 PM

I would like to add African/Black Art Museum to my list.

#39 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

As someone who designs and installs enterprise wireless networks, I hope money isn't waisted implementing some type of unsecure, problematic, and Internet clogging wireless network downtown.

If Fort Worth really wants to be cutting edge, they should consider skipping WiFi and go directly to WiMAX, 802.16.

Actually, WiFi will probably still be used for internal building distribution or pockets of access.

#40 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

Philly has an ambitious plan for citywide wifi:
http://www.nytimes.c...l?hp&oref=login

Don't we have some elections coming up? I would like to see a candidate support a project like this.

#41 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:34 PM

In light of recent events I'd like to add a few items to my wish list...

1. The new XTO Tower to be built and to have a spired top making it over 800 ft tall.

2. At least one other 50+ story building in downtown.

3. I have always loved the idea of having an outdoor movie theater - not a drive-in, but a theater that projects movies on to the side of a building... It would have comfortable theater seats and serve good food...

4. A revolving tower restaraunt that give the city a landmark tower... FW's answer to Reunion Tower, The Space Needle, Tower of the Americas, etc.

5. An actual rebirth of the T&P Warehouse building...

6. A large water feature - something dramatic and sizeable... Maybe as part of the Lancaster redo...

7. More large scale neon signs and art.

8. A really fantastic river walk and town lake... one's that put San Antonio and Austin to shame. ;-)

9. LIGHT RAIL!!!!

10. Lights on all the #$%& buildings!!!

I'm done. :huh:

#42 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:16 AM

Will the town lake idea affect any downstream communities in C. and S. Texas? Just curious.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#43 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

1. More green space
2. A lot more trees (EVERY parking lot should have at a MINUMUM trees planted along the sidewalk around the entire perimeter). Should also have them throughout each surface lot: will lower the surface tempurature, look MUCH better, and be great for the air.
3. Restore the riparian coridor along the Trinity River
4. Bike race through/ around Downtown. Either a professional one or an amateur one like a cycling version of the Cowtown.
5. Hunters to harvest the birds. Enough with the sensitive approach already.

#44 Rusty45398

Rusty45398

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

OK here is my list... its really only a top seven

24 Hour Fitness
Fast Food (along Belknap/Weatherford to replace the older buildings)
Private Bar/Restaraunt (i.e. Sence, Candle Room in Dallas)
Upscale clothing store(s)
Dry Cleaners
Donut Shop
..... and most important for the TRINITY PROJECT to go from concept to realization!!!!

#45 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:18 AM

(AP) - PHOENIX-Great views - and plenty of goosebumps for those afraid of heights. An American Indian tribe with land along the Grand Canyon is planning to build a glass-bottomed walkway that will jut out 70 feet from the canyon's edge.

How about one of these between the top floors of the Bass Towers? Or the Tandy Center towers? Great views in all six directions.

#46 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

if it were glass bottomed...skirts and dresses would not be allowed.....how creepy..i wouldnt be able to walk on glass and see through the bottom..nooo way..

#47 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

I imagine this to be rather high up... I suspect one's modesty would be preserved by distance so the skirts and dresses would be OK.

But it does recall to mind something I read about Fort Worth having (some time back) a saloon that featured a glass floor between the first and second story. The claim was that "ladies" would stroll across said floor, sans undergarments, for the entertainment of the patrons below.

#48 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:06 PM

[quote name='Rusty45398' date='Jun 19 2005, 04:40 PM']
OK here is my list... its really only a top seven

24 Hour Fitness
Fast Food (along Belknap/Weatherford to replace the older buildings)
Donut Shop

Hmmmmm......Yea Workout and eat a donut at the same time the American way. No wonder Clinton was our president :cheez:

#49 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:23 PM

hey Greg, when I was MUCH younger, I went to a bar/club in NYC that had suspended glass dance floors...for encouraging the peep shows. It was WILD. But that was the "love the one you're with" generation. We've gotten much wiser with our years....well, some of us anyway.

#50 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

I imagine this to be rather high up...  I suspect one's modesty would be preserved by distance so the skirts and dresses would be OK.

But it does recall to mind something I read about Fort Worth having (some time back) a saloon that featured a glass floor between the first and second story. The claim was that "ladies" would stroll across said floor, sans undergarments, for the entertainment of the patrons below.

View Post

LUCKY!
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users