3131 Sanguinet St. - 1990
Marty Leonard is the daughter of Marvin Leonard, one of the city's well known Leonard Brothers merchants. For many years, the brothers operated Leonard's Department Store in downtown Fort Worth. Marty Leonard gave much of her time to the Lena Pope Home and in the late 1980's, her friends raised part of the money to build a chapel on the Lena Pope Home campus, to be named in her honor. By 1990, the rest of the money was raised and the chapel opened. The architect for the chapel was E. Fay Jones, (1921-2004) who earned a reputation for designing chapels and residences set in wooded areas that appeared to rise out and become a part of the forest. Jones studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. The Chapel's primary purpose is to serve the youth and families of Lena Pope Home. A secondary function is to provide a setting for weddings and other community functions. The Chapel contains three levels, including a choir loft, sanctuary and lower level complete with a meeting room, dressing room (or other use), kitchen and office.