Architecture in Fort Worth

Mary Couts Burnett Library

2905 S. University Dr. - 1927; c.1960; 1981; 2014


The Mary Couts Burnett Library was the first TCU building constructed on the east side of University Drive.  It opened in 1927 and was funded by the widow of Samuel Burk Burnett, a wealthy cattle and oil entrepreneur.  Mr. Burnett's will dictated that is money was not to go to his wife or an educational institution.  However, Mrs. Burnett fought the will in court and won the case.  After the settlement, she gave the money to construct this library building and it was named in her honor.  Wiley G. Clarkson was the architect. Over the course of its history, the building has been added to and remodeled several times.  Although the building sits back from University Drive, the original 1927 structure sat even further from the street.  Only the north and south facades of this original building remain exposed.  These two facades feature two story arched windows.  In the late 1950's or early 1960's, an addition was placed on the front of the building.  This addition featured the main entrance on University Drive.  This addition featured louvers on the front of the building, used as sun screens.  In 1981, another addition was constructed, this time to the rear of the library.  This work moved the main entrance to the rear of the building.  The front facade along University Drive was remodeled at this time to remove the entrance and the louvers and place smaller windows in horizontal bands across this facade. In 2014, the library was remodeled and expanded again. The main entry was returned to the University Drive facade with a portico and a grand stairway to the second floor. The project was designed by Hahnfeld Hoffer Stanford, of Fort Worth.  The 1981 addition was also radically remodeled and expanded. A connection was also made into the new Rees-Jones Hall, immediately to the east of the library.

Photographs by Jonathan Mosteiro:
1981 Front Facade
Remaining portion of original facade visible
1981 Addition Before Remodeling and Expansion


From the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photos, University of Texas at Arlington:
Original front Facade of Library

 


 

 

2014 Front Facade


At Night: