Architecture in Fort Worth

 

 

Southside Preservation Hall

1519 Lipscomb St. - 1907; 1922; 1923; 1954; 1955 (NRHD, CFWHD)

Formerly:
Panther Boys Club
Central Methodist Church

 

The Tudor Gothic Central Methodist Church sanctuary opened in 1910.  It was designed by Architect W.C. Meador, and the contractor was Butcher & Sweeney.  The main roof of the sanctuary is gabled with an extremely large, red brick tower centered on the west facade.  The plan of the sanctuary is similar to the Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church in downtown.  When you enter through the main doors on Lipscomb Street, you are facing the congregation.  In 1922, a gymnasium was added on the northeast corner of the site.  An education building that connected the sanctuary to the gymnasium was added in 1923.  This eduation building has a basement and three floors above grade.  The Maddox Street facade of the education building matches the sanctuary's detailing and style.  In 1954, a two story administration wing was added to the west of the gymnasium and education building.  One year later, the Martha Nored Chapel was completed.  The administration wing and the chapel were designed by C.O. Chromaster.  The Central Methodist Church left the building in 1969, due to the decline of the neighborhood and its membership.  In 1972, the congregation sold the building to the Panther Boys Club. They built a boxing ring in the sanctuary.  The gymnasium was utilized as a small gym.  The chapel and education building were used for storage, while the administration wing was used for offices.  In 1995, Panther Boys Club requested permission to demolish the church.  Members of the Fairmount Neighborhood and the preservation community banded together to save the building by forming the Southside Preservation Association.  They persuaded the Boys Club to donate the property to them.  The association has been working to restore the church.  The gymnasium now serves as a ballroom for weekly dances and has been renamed Porter Hall.  The chapel is used for weddings and has been renamed the Rose Chapel.

 

Southside Preservation Hall Website