Architecture in Fort Worth

Jarvis Hall

2820 S. University Drive - 1911

 

This is the only building remaining from the original 1911 campus that has not been significantly altered.  It was designed by Waller and Field, the campus architects and planners.  As in most of the early TCU buildings, it was designed in the Classical Revival Style.  The entrance is marked by a pedimented portico with Ionic columns.  It served as a women's dormitory and was named after Major J.J. Jarvis and his wife Ida Van Zandt Jarvis.  Major Jarvis was the first chairman of the board of trustees of TCU.  In 2008, the building was restored and has been converted into administrative offices.  Gideon Toal, now Bennett Benner Partners, was the architect for the restoration. 

 

From the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photos, University of Texas at Arlington:
Jarvis and Dave Reed Halls