Cassata High School
1400 Hemphill St. - 1921
John B. Laneri, a Fort Worth Businessman built this building in 1921 as a school for boys. In the early years, it served grades 5 through 9. It soon became the city's first Catholic High School. It served those purposed from 1928 until 1962. In 1975, Cassata High School was established in the building by the Catholic Diocese to offer GED and other classes to assist high school age kids where this might be their last chance for an education. The high school was named after John J. Cassata (1908-1989), the first bishop of the Fort Worth Diocese. Extensive modifications have been made to the building over the years, including painting of the brick and cast stone. The interior has been completely altered. Halbach-Dietz Architects performed some of the later architectural work on the building which included reopening the closed windows and remodeling the basement. The firm also repainted the building to be gray instead of the dark brown paint that had been used in a previous remodeling project.