Architecture in Fort Worth

Amon G. Carter Stadium

2850 Stadium Drive - 1930; 1947; 1948; 1956; 2012


Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick designed both the east and west stands for the school in 1930, but only the west side was constructed that year.  Butcher & Sweeney were the General Contractors for the work.  In 1947, the east stands were constructed.  Enlargement of the stadium was completed in 1948.  In 1951, the stadium was named in honor of Amon G. Carter, local businessman, philanthropist, and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.  In 1956, an addition was constructed above the original west stands that dwarfed them. and there was some expansion of the east stands.  Since that time, numerous renovations and remodel projects have occurred at the stadium. In 2008, TCU announced plans to renovate the stadium and demolish all of the west stands that were above grade.  In July of 2010, more detailed plans were released.  On December 5, 2010, the west stands were imploded in front of many TCU students and alumni.  The 2011 season was played at home with a reduced capacity.   When the new west stands were nearly complete, the university announced that the east stands above grade would be demolished and new stands would be built.  After completion in 2012, the stadium seats approximately 45,000.  The renovated stadium features suites and a club level.  The renovated stadium was designed by HKS.

 

Demolished East Stands
Demolished West Stands

 

From the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photos, University of Texas at Arlington:
Clark Field and Early Amon Carter Stadium

 






East Stands:
East Stands Carter Stadium

West Stands:
West Stands Carter Stadium