National Register Historic District
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
City of Fort Worth Demolition Delay
Set on axis with Circle Park Boulevard, Oakwood Cemetery began when John Peter Smith donated 20 acres of land in 1879 for a cemetery. Over the years, Oakwood's site has expanded to include more than 100 acres of land that stretches from the curving Grand Avenue down to the banks of the Trinity River. Many of Fort Worth's pioneer businessmen and other notables are buried here, including: Samuel Burk Burnett, W.T. Waggoner, John Peter Smith, Major K.M. Van Zandt, Luke Short, and Jim Courtright. Although the cemetery itself is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, many of the individual graves have also received state historic markers, as well. In 1912, a group of local women raised funds to construct the Oakwood Cemetery Chapel.