John Peter Smith Hospital
1500 S. Main St. - 1939 to present
By 1939, the City-County Hospital had outgrown its original building in Downtown Fort Worth. The Tarrant County Commissioners Court, the Fort Worth City Council, and the City-County Hospital Board recommended that a new city-county hospital was to be constructed on land that John Peter Smith, a pioneer Fort Worth leader, had donated to the city for the construction of a hospital for indigent patients. Wiley G. Clarkson was chosen as the architect and Gurley Construction Company was chosen as the general contractor. The three story building was "E" shaped and featured a mix of several Art Deco styles, including Classical Moderne and Streamline Moderne. In 1965, a major expansion was begun that eventually included almost completely surrounding the original building. A 12 story tower was added at that time. The hospital was expanded again in each subsequent decade.