This Streamline Moderne store was constructed in 1939 for the W.T. Grant Co., and was designed by Alfred S. Alschuler from Chicago. The building features a limestone facade that is curved at the corner, horizontal second floor windows and a metal canopy that runs the full length of the building on two sides. Limestone letters spelling "Grant's" adorn the top of the penthouse on Houston Street. Over the years, the building has been remodeled and the original interior has been destroyed. The original plate glass windows along both Houston and 6th Streets have been covered over. The lease spaces in the building are the home of two bars.
Art Deco/Streamline Moderne
Alfred S. Alschuler, Chicago