#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:29 PM

A new book is to be published on Fort Worth History. It is expected to be released in the fall. I'm providing a link to the author's home page and he has links within to the Table of Contents, the Introduction, and a Sample Chapter. Please be sure to look at the very interesting historic photographs the author has discovered.

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_rtc/

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

Amazing pics. I can't wait to get this one.

#3 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:21 PM

I love the picture of the 6 point intersection. Looks like a good read, adding to my Christmas List now..

#4 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:49 PM

i cant see anything on that site (pics that is) besides text, either on my computer or the one at work! what gives??? :wink:

#5 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

Well, I reckon I'll have a copy. Can't pre-order it on Amazon yet. I heard Professor Cashion is related to the great (former?) NFL ref Red "First Down!" Cashion, so the book gets an extra point for that.

Drk, the pictures are in the previews. These are PDF files. If you followed the links to those PDFs but could not see the images, then maybe it's an Adobe problem. They show up in mine (Adobe Reader v7).

The sample sections from the book:
http://www.shsu.edu/...bleContents.pdf
http://www.shsu.edu/...tc/FW-Intro.pdf
http://www.shsu.edu/...chapter 30s.pdf

#6 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:49 AM

That DOES look like a wonderful book! Can't wait until it comes out.

#7 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Drk, the pictures are in the previews. These are PDF files. If you followed the links to those PDFs but could not see the images, then maybe it's an Adobe problem. They show up in mine (Adobe Reader v7).

View Post

Thanks, I'll update the software :)

#8 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like a great book. Anything with a picture of Icky Twerp in it has got to be good. However, I am a little confused with the title. What exactly is contemporary history?

#9 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Wow...that one pic showing the West Fwy heading into downtown with the skyline in the backround makes the skyline look AWESOME! It was so compact and balanced back then. Hell's Half Acre made a great foreground to the skyline too, and would have made an excellent entertainment district had the short-sighted planners of the 1960's not demolished it for the CC...

Definately going to put this on my X-mas list.

#10 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:40 PM

Looks like I'll have a book to thumb thru at Barns and Noble :z:

#11 jatherton

jatherton

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

According to the author's website, publication of this book has been postponed until April.

In the meantime, he has posted the entire thing to the web in pdf:

http://www.shsu.edu/...BookByChaps.htm

While the book is rich in history and engaging anecdote, it's probably more interesting for its presentation of photographs from throughout Fort Worth's history, including a few contempory ones by the estimable John T. Roberts.

I particularly enjoy a shot on page 115. It shows the demolition of a hotel on Main St. between 13th and 14th streets, a site now occupied by the south end of the convention center. The rich texture of this building - it looks like a bay window in every room - is something that we only lately realize that we miss. It reminds me of the half-million dollar condos proposed for Chamberlain Heights:

http://www.chamberlainheights.com/

For that matter, the recent remodeling of the south end of the convention center itself seems like an attempt to recover this kind of urban texture.

#12 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the link to this book. Most helpful. biggrin.gif

#13 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

Nice collection of photos! smile.gif

#14 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

The picture of the mule-drawn streetcar on page 19 is a "fake". The photograph dates from about the early 1920s and is a reproduction car built by the shops from old electric car parts probably for parade use or other publicity staging. Fort Worth's mule lines were electrified in 1890 and the original (probably Stephenson) horse cars were long gone by the time this photo was taken. Interestingly, Fort Worth was electrified shortly after Boston and remained a leader in transportation technology for many decades to follow.

I have been researching for a book on Fort Worth transit history, but that is on hold for the time being.

AN
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users