• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:32 AM

When I was growing up in FW in the 50-'s my grandmother had a nice book of photos of FW homes. The book was probably published in the late 1930's. It was about 4"x8" in size with a plastic-like ring binding and contained maybe 60 or 80 sepia tinted photos of swanky FW homes, one to a page. It may have been some kind of vanity edition put out by a local organization such as the Women's Club. I would love to locate a copy of this book. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

#2 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

Have you had any luck? I would love to have one as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:55 PM

The book you're looking for is "Fort Worth In Pictures."

It's fairly common and often turns up on eBay.

#4 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:21 AM

The book you're looking for is "Fort Worth In Pictures."

It's fairly common and often turns up on eBay.

View Post

Thanks, Buck, That title does seem familiar. Where would I go on e-bay to look for it? I have not really used that site.

#5 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:44 AM

austlar, you can search for the book from ebay's main page (http://www.ebay.com). the search form is on the left under the big "1 Find" label.

i searched and didn't find a copy available today.

however, i did find one at GoodwillBooks: http://www.goodwillb...si/7353278.html. i've never bought anything from that site so i can't tell you how it works.

#6 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:21 AM

austlar, you can search for the book from ebay's main page (http://www.ebay.com). the search form is on the left under the big "1 Find" label.

i searched and didn't find a copy available today.

however, i did find one at GoodwillBooks: http://www.goodwillb...si/7353278.html. i've never bought anything from that site so i can't tell you how it works.

View Post

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help.

#7 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:15 AM

When I was growing up in FW in the 50-'s my grandmother had a nice book of photos of FW homes.  The book was probably published in the late 1930's.  It was about 4"x8" in size with a plastic-like ring binding and contained maybe 60 or 80 sepia tinted photos of swanky FW homes, one to a page.  It may have been some kind of vanity edition put out by a local organization such as the Women's Club.  I would love to locate a copy of this book.  Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

View Post

Another great book is one called "Gracious Ladies", written by Georgette McGar. It is spiral bound and was published in about 1985. It is the result of many years of research by Mrs. McGar about the fancy homes that once lined Penn, Summit, and Pennsylvania. It consists of old photos, photos from the newspaper (typically when the Star-Telegram was running an article about one of the houses set to be demolished), title deed information, and interviews with people who once lived in the houses (usually people who were kids in the early part of the 20th Century; by the time of the interview they were elderly). I recently obtained from Mrs. McGar the last copy she had; it was $45. Historic Fort Worth (Edleman-McFarland house) has a copy in their library; you could at least go see what the book looks like.

In almost all cases she includes a floorplan along with a detailed description of the interior design and materials used. This information is gleaned from the newspaper articles and the interviews.

I have not tried on ebay, but likely you could find a copy there eventually.

-Jim

#8 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:16 AM

Well, I ordered this book (FW in Pictures) Monday night online and got it in the mail today from Oregon. It does not have any publication date, which is strange, but based on information gleaned form some of the photos is was probably published in 1940. It is full of pictures of residential and commmercial Fort Worth, including several aerial shots. It was interesting to note that (probably because of WWII) the city looked much the same in 1940 as when I was growing up in the early 1950's. Downtown Fort Worth back then was still a vital place, filled with real activity, as opposed to the kind of theme park downtown that exists today.

Does anybody know if there was more than one edition of this book, perhaps published in another year? The book I remember from my childhood is this book, but somehow different and more focused on residential Fort Worth. Of course, my memory isn't all that sharp, so who knows? Anyway, It was a treat to locate this book, a true blast from the past. So, to those of you who helped me locate it, I offer my thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users