Calder's "Eagle"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:A FW native who is happy to be back home finally!

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

Looking for folks who might have a little more history on the Calder stabile "Eagle" that used to be in front of the Fort Worth National Bank building.

I've done various bits of research on this over the years but still don't have a good grasp on how Fort Worth came to acquire the Calder. I do know the sad story of how it was sold and ripped up in the middle of the night and shipped to Pennsylvania in 1999 and now resides in a private collection in Seattle.

Eagle has to be my favorite piece of art because it was my first "love affair" with metal sculpture as a child. I've since traveled to see Calders on exhibit on four continents and have begun my own private collection of his work and various memorabilia (including various advertising pieces from his promotional stint w/ Braniff).

One of the more detailed accounts of Calder and his history with Dallas/Fort Worth (including Braniff) can be found here: http://www.braniffpa...der/calder.html

If anyone else has anything they can share about Calder in Fort Worth, I would love to see it!

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:51 PM

'A Comprensive Guide to Outdoor Sculpture in Texas', by Carol Morris Little, 1996 edition, says the Calder Eagle was originally purchased by the Fort Worth National Bank and Texas American Bancshares, Inc.

#3 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

Awe... I remember The Eagle downtown very fondly. My dad worked downtown, and when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, there wasn't much of a reason to go downtown unless you were a business person working down there. Except for goinig downtown to see the big christmas tree every year. I remember The Eagle though - it was really the only memorable downtown piece of public art. And, it was certainly the most significant piece of public art in FW at the time. I wish it had just been moved somewhere else in downtown for the people of FW to continue enjoying. I loved the red-orange color of it and the way it sort of grabbed your attention. It was a sight to see.... and it's the sort of thing that dowtown needs now. I would love to see a great big piece of art like the Eagle adorning the new Lancaster plan... Or it would also be a great item to place along the banks of the new Trinity River plan.... I miss the Eagle.

On a similar note, I hope that when the redevelopment begins along the 7th street/University corner, that the developers somehow incorporate the bent billboard girders that were bent by the wind during the 2000 tornado. I think they could paint them a brilliant color and make them into a very interesting piece of public art. I think it's an amazing testiment to what the neighborhood survived when you look at solid steel bent like rubber the way those steel beams are. I'd even like to see them place a little plaque explaining that the beams were bent by the tornado with a little seating area and uplights.... Maybe leaving them beams there as a center piece to a water feature in that spot or something like that.

To me, those are the little sorts of things that add up to give a city character. For example, a big tornado hit downtown Lubbock in 1970 and did extensive damage to the city. When they ended up taking the debris from the twister and piling it up outside one of the museums and covering it with dirt and grass... now the museum is surrounded by giant grass covered hills that are baiscally buried debris from the tornado... it's not as cool as the steel beams, but it's a bit of interesting history that people still talk about.

#4 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

'A Comprensive Guide to Outdoor Sculpture in Texas', by Carol Morris Little, 1996 edition, says the Calder Eagle was originally purchased by the Fort Worth National Bank and Texas American Bancshares, Inc.

View Post

Yeah, I did know that much - but some of the reading I've done (I've actually amassed a library of Calder books) suggests that this was a commissioned piece vs. a purchase of a completed work - so was curious if there was a history behind the commission that anyone here might know some of the "behind the scenes" history. A lot of Calder's work in that period (late 60s to early 70s) before his death was accompanied by his visits to various cities to supervise the installation.

#5 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

Hey Willy1. How about that interesting piece of art out in W. Texas with all the cars buried nose first into the ground. Amazing stuff, sure to wake up any snoozing driver headin through that part of Texas.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#6 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

You know what??? Where the hole in front of Montgomery Plaza going to be, instead of a drive thru, it could of been a walkway with that sculpture right in front of the opening basically "greeting" people into the place. that would of been so cool ;)

#7 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

Hey Willy1. How about that interesting piece of art out in W. Texas with all the cars buried nose first into the ground. Amazing stuff, sure to wake up any snoozing driver headin through that part of Texas.

View Post

CARHENGE!!!! I LOVE IT. LOL... At first I thought you were talking about the Will Rogers statue on the Texas Tech Main Campus... It is only one of three in the world... one of them is somewhere in Oklahoma and the other one sits in front of the Will Rogers complex here in FW.... When I arrived in Lubbock as a Freshman at Tech I saw the WR Statue and was like "hey, we have one of those at home". It always sort of made me a little homesick when I walked by it on campus. Now, when I drive by the one in FW, it reminds me of my college days and makes me a little home sick for Lubbock - if anyone can believe that!

#8 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

You know what??? Where the hole in front of Montgomery Plaza going to be, instead of a drive thru, it could of been a walkway with that sculpture right in front of the opening basically "greeting" people into the place. that would of been so cool  ;)

View Post

That would be very cool... I suggest that the sculpture pay hommage to the 2000 tonado that basically destroyed the rear end of the MW building and eventually led to the redevelopment that is underway today.

#9 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

Now, when I drive by the one in FW, it reminds me of my college days and makes me a little home sick for Lubbock - if anyone can believe that!

View Post

Yeah, but to make it complete for me, it would have to be wrapped in red and black streamers by the Midnight Raiders. Hmmmm... might make for a fun FW Alum activity. ;)

#10 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

You know what??? Where the hole in front of Montgomery Plaza going to be, instead of a drive thru, it could of been a walkway with that sculpture right in front of the opening basically "greeting" people into the place. that would of been so cool  ;)

View Post

That might kill me. I already spent my formative years as a FW teen dreaming of how cool it would be to live in a loft in the MW building. If you put the Calder there, I would have a heart attack and never live to enjoy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users