#1 Akuhead

Akuhead

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Old Fort Worth, 1950s/60s Hawaii

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

I've been looking for a chrome postcard of the old Cowtown Inn on East Lancaster that is being demolished, and realized I don't think I've ever seen one on eBay. It looks like it would have been quite a cool hotel back in its heyday. Has anyone reading this thread seen a postcard of the Cowtown Inn? If anybody has one, could you post a scan? I'd love to see it! Thanks.

#2 FWbrownfields

FWbrownfields

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

Don't forget it wasn't originally called the Cowtown Inn. It was built in 1964 and called the Continental Inn.

Interesting bit of history - the site used to be owned by the Fort Worth ISD, and before that the Handley school district. A 14-room school was built on the site in 1903, and was called the East Ward School. Later the school was renamed East Handley Elementary (construction began on the new East Handley Elementary on Mims in 1958). The school district sold the site in 1963.

#3 Akuhead

Akuhead

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(FWbrownfields @ May 6 2006, 04:56 PM) View Post

Don't forget it wasn't originally called the Cowtown Inn. It was built in 1964 and called the Continental Inn.

Interesting bit of history - the site used to be owned by the Fort Worth ISD, and before that the Handley school district. A 14-room school was built on the site in 1903, and was called the East Ward School. Later the school was renamed East Handley Elementary (construction began on the new East Handley Elementary on Mims in 1958). The school district sold the site in 1963.

Thanks for that tip. I was able to find an old chrome card of the Continental Inn. Looks like it's from around the 1964 time frame judging from the cars visible.

IPB Image

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

Does the back of the card mention the Texas-shaped swimming pool?

#5 Akuhead

Akuhead

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Buck @ Aug 5 2006, 12:54 PM) View Post

Unfortunately, no mention of a Texas shaped pool, Buck. This is the caption on the back:
IPB Image

#6 FW_brownfields

FW_brownfields

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Buck @ Aug 5 2006, 12:54 PM) View Post

I wish I had a picture of the pool back in the motel's heyday. I swam in it a few times in the summer of 1967 when I was a kid. The texture on the bottom of the pool used to cut up my toes - really rough. Here, sadly, is a photo I took of that pool in 2001.

IPB Image

#7 FW_brownfields

FW_brownfields

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Akuhead @ Aug 4 2006, 03:16 PM) View Post

Thanks for that tip. I was able to find an old chrome card of the Continental Inn. Looks like it's from around the 1964 time frame judging from the cars visible.

You are welcome. I meant to thank you for posting this neat photo. It's incomprehensible that it fell to wrack and ruin in such a relatively short period of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users