38 replies to this topic

#1 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:09 PM

Lucky for me, for the next few months I get to drive to DTFW from Dallas once a week for work. Since I take I-30 I go past Eastchase Parkway. What do you guys think of the new developments going up there. I for one am very disappointed, and get more so everytime something new is built. I stopped at the Target on my way home today. That "new" shopping cener is already looking very aged and worn out. Even when they built it before I moved from FW, I thought it was unimaginative and cheap looking. The same goes for the rest of the retail which is typical strip centers and big box retailers swimming in a sea of parking lots. The new housing being built in the area is very surburban and umimaginative also. I remember when little retail was in the area and I used to think that was an area ripe for good developement and could serve as such an impressive entryway into FW. It's so sad to see what has been allowed to happen in an area that had so much potential.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:06 PM

I wouldn't call the center anchored by Target "new". I believe the center anchored by Target is nearly 10 years old. I know the theater opened in '97 and it came a couple of years after the shopping center. I drove by there last week and I agree it is in pretty bad shape for something that isn't really all that old. There's already some large portions of it that are empty and the Target is one of the few in the area that doesn't sell groceries.

#3 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:44 PM

I agree that the center isn't taking well to age. It is one of the worst looking shopping centers in my opinion... and the dirty, worn facade with bullet holes from the signs of tenants that have come and gone do not help one bit. Toys R Us, M.J. Designs, and Old Navy come to mind as a few of the anchors that have left.

The Target does not sell groceries because it was built before there was such a thing as "Super Targets".

It's a shame that a shopping center can look so hideous after only 10 or so years. It's definitely time for an exterior renovation.

#4 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:54 PM

I have not driven by there in about a year but I heard a Lowe's was going in at 30 @ Eastchase (I presume on the northeast side). Also, this morning I saw in the paper that the Home Depot Floor Store was opening on Eastchase so maybe they are taking up space left by Michael's. I think there are only two HDFS's right now... One in Plano and one in Florida.

#5 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Home Depot floor store is taking up the Old Navy space. Michaels will still be vacant I believe.

#6 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

The problem with new residential development in that area is that the existing residential is not too fancy. The median price for property between Sandy Lane and Morrison is only a little over 100K on houses that are about 40 years old. The apartment complexes aren't very nice. The smattering of retail is all pretty run-down.

The property from Morrison to Eastchase is a little better, but I wouldn't bet on any new developments in the >175K range. The school district is mediocre.

The exception to this is there are a handful of 2+ Million homes south of Eastchase at the Wells Fargo. There is also a little gated development for $500K+ homes just north of Division in that same general area. But that's about the extent of it.

The funny thing is, it's very easy to get around the metroplex from there. I lived there for five years (until about 3 months ago). Everything is very convenient, but the development gods seem to think a 30 minute drive from Saginaw, Burleson or Aledo makes more sense.

#7 JOHNFINLEY

JOHNFINLEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

[size=5][size=5][quote name='cberen1' date='Mar 20 2005, 06:24 PM' post='10146']
The problem with new residential development in that area is that the existing residential is not too fancy. The median price for property between Sandy Lane and Morrison is only a little over 100K on houses that are about 40 years old. The apartment complexes aren't very nice. The smattering of retail is all pretty run-down.

I took offense to that. I bought my first home in this neighborhood, and I hate to brag, the best looking house. I do agree that the retail is not all that, and the new homes aren't great either. However, I give high marks for the Ryanwood Homeowners Association for how proactive they are in keeping everything in tip top shape and how friendly everyone in this part of the area is. I can't talk much, because I work for a major engineering company that has developed much of the new homes in this neighborhood. I'd say over 95% of the homes between Sandy, Handley, Brentwood, and Meadowbrook are in excelent shape and worth becoming a historic district within the next ten years because of the outstanding original condition most of the homes are in. Yes, the median home price here is around $120k, but they are climbing and are worth more than they are selling for. Most of the homes are 100% brick and over 2,000 square feet.

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:37 PM

Mr. Finley…I agree with your comments. This area has a lot to offer and the fact that it is not inundated with commercial development is not a bad thing either. Some things worth mentioning are: minimal stoplights, nearby grocery and home improvement stores, well-lit streets, residents who take care of their yards, active neighborhood associations and the presence of many long-time homeowners. Not to mention relatively low traffic, train and airplane noise, very little industrial businesses and many alternative less-busy roads such as Randol Mill, Meadowbrook, E. Rosedale, Lancaster/Division, Green Oaks Blvd/Dottie Lynn, Brentwood Stair, Ederville and John T White, which make this part of Fort Worth very easy to get in and around. And yes, the T actually makes several stop here as well.

Compared to other parts of the Metroplex and practically all of the U.S., $50/sqft for post-1960 brick with mature trees and quiet, winding streets is nothing to complain about. I think that many of the people who choose to continue living in this area opposed to newer, out-lying suburbs do so because it is affordable, close to work and God-forbid, might actually allow them to retire with a decent savings or pay their kids' tuition.

#9 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(JOHNFINLEY @ Nov 29 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

I took offense to that. I bought my first home in this neighborhood, and I hate to brag, the best looking house.

No offense intended. I lived near Meadowbrook and Sandy for over five years (until 2004). And I enjoyed it, but the neighborhood slipped even in the short time I was there. As older residents moved out, a lot of their houses were bought as rental units. Beautiful yards decayed. And the schools were not overwhelming.

But then again I miss my $750 motgage payment too.

The shame of it is that it's a great location geographically and topographically.

#10 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

The S-T reported the Eastchase Market shopping center has been purchased by a Michigan investment group. It also mentioned the vacancies from PetSmart, Toys R US, and MJD Designs. I can't believe those vacanies haven't been filled yet. Those stores have been gone for years!!!

The last few times, I've been to FW, I haven't taken I-30, but I remember from the last time I saw Eastchase there were several new retail outlets going up. Ever notice how I30 and Cockrell Hill in Dallas and I30 and Eastchase in FW almost mirror one another in poor development? Many of the same stores, horrible, cheap strip centers and parking lots everywhere. The Cockrell Hill development is a little newer and has more retail, but I can't help but think that in 15 years (or less) both areas will be total dumps.

#11 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Feb 2 2007, 11:21 AM) View Post

The Cockrell Hill development is a little newer and has more retail, but I can't help but think that in 15 years (or less) both areas will be total dumps.

Maybe. I've been pretty disappointed in the develoment too. But there is also some decent residential development scattered in the Eastchase area too. It may not be enough to make a difference, but there is some there. The stuff right next to the freeway is junk. A little to the North and a little to the south gets better.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

I bet the shopping center on the south side of the freeway would benefit from Target expanding that location to a full Super Target with groceries. It would at least help funnel more traffic that direction.

#13 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:47 AM

Eastchase has came a long way.No where near where most of us would like to see.I remember when it was a few apartments and a liquor store hear and there.
Are there liquor stores scattered around at 30 and Cockrell Hill?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#14 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Feb 2 2007, 09:21 AM) View Post

The S-T reported the Eastchase Market shopping center has been purchased by a Michigan investment group.

I hope they have plans to spruce up the place and revive it.

#15 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Mar 16 2005, 10:06 PM) View Post

I wouldn't call the center anchored by Target "new". I believe the center anchored by Target is nearly 10 years old. I know the theater opened in '97 and it came a couple of years after the shopping center. I drove by there last week and I agree it is in pretty bad shape for something that isn't really all that old. There's already some large portions of it that are empty and the Target is one of the few in the area that doesn't sell groceries.

It's just plain sad, in my opinion, that a building just 10 years old isn't considered new. And is showing age in a negative way already, for that matter.

Why, oh why, don't companies want to build structures they can be truly proud of anymore?

The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#16 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(texastrill @ Feb 2 2007, 01:47 PM) View Post

Eastchase has came a long way.No where near where most of us would like to see.I remember when it was a few apartments and a liquor store hear and there.
Are there liquor stores scattered around at 30 and Cockrell Hill?

I could be wrong, but I think that area of Dallas is dry.
QUOTE(DrkLts @ Feb 2 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post

QUOTE(vjackson @ Feb 2 2007, 09:21 AM) View Post

The S-T reported the Eastchase Market shopping center has been purchased by a Michigan investment group.

I hope they have plans to spruce up the place and revive it.

That center needs more than sprucing up. It needs an entirely new facade. That place is sooo generic. There's a DFW surburb that I swear has that exact same center. Speaking off that, anyone seen the shopping center in Southlake that's a dead ringer of the "Commons" shopping center on Hulen, or the Kroger Shopping center in Arlington at 30 and Lamar that has an identical center when you enter Houston on I45? These developers are getting really lazy.

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

The part of Eastchase Market that has remained vacant is the west end and that could be attributed to the lack of frontage roads on I-30. Last time I was through there, the retail fronting Eastchase had gone through some turnover, but it didn't look as rundown as the other end.

#18 edperc

edperc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:classical music, art, philosophy, eastern religion, biking, raquetball, gardening.

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Feb 2 2007, 01:18 PM) View Post

The part of Eastchase Market that has remained vacant is the west end and that could be attributed to the lack of frontage roads on I-30. Last time I was through there, the retail fronting Eastchase had gone through some turnover, but it didn't look as rundown as the other end.

Absolutely agree. My wife and I live on the east side, White Lake Hills area, and stopped going to eastchase a long time ago because of the problems with access and traffic. We would have gladly continued giving business to that PetsMart if only access from the highway didn't require navigating to the far side of the shopping center and around just to reach the west side.

As far as a Super Target on that location is concerned, I'm certain that the current structure would have to be removed and a whole new one built to accomodate. There's simply no way to expand the existing structure into a Super Target.

#19 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

That shopping center was designed to draw shoppers from north Arlington.

But north Arlington declined. Now, it's rebounding. But Arlington also is attracting new development of its own that will eclipse Eastchase.

It's just a bad location -- poor access, not enough rooftops, poorly patrolled.

#20 eastchaseclean

eastchaseclean

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

I've been away from the Forum for awhile, but was excited to see a string about Eastchase...

As a resident of the area, I am obviously a huge advocate of positive development around here. The big box stores have left the Eastchase Marketplace and headed east, and it's a little bit alarming. I think the City of Fort Worth needs to take note and give it some attention. The population of the metroplex east of Eastchase Parkway has more incentive to keep their attention and sales tax dollars over there. The move of the Petsmart from Eastchase Marketplace to Lincoln Square is a not so suttle example. (and incidently, the access to Lincoln Square is not better than Eastchase Marketplace)

The draw of the new stadium development in Arlington will suck this economy eastward even more.

Eastchase Parkway is the eastern gateway of Fort Worth. We need to beautify our doorway, and become more inviting! I'm talking about public landscaping updates, Maybe not as elaborate as Bush Turnpike, Dallas' Central Expressway, or Southlake Town Center, but Nice. I'm talking about a spotless neighborhood (no tolerance for litter of any kind). I'm talking about a public art project (why not... The cheezy Lincoln Square Horse Fountain works for North Arlington). I'm also talking about incentives for bringing in "destination-type" retailers. Go to the Central Market on Hulen or Southlake and you know what I'm talking about. I believe this would easily draw the vast residences of North and Southwest Arlington, which has more roofs than Hulen or Southlake. (I'm guessing that a Central Market Store requires the square footage of approximately 3 empty big box retailers.....hmmmm).

So Fort Worth Council, Chamber, and Development Groups....Don't neglect our eastern tip, and help turn the traffic westbound again.

#21 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

there is a reason that central market has the locations that it does; they want to be in the highest income demographic areas that they can find. putting a central market in the middle of a slum (sadly what i feel the eastchase area has been reduced to) doesn't fit that target. their target clientele lives in westover, southlake, etc. other than the dozen or so homes tucked back behind the wells fargo, there isn't that type of demographic within 10 miles of eastchase. you'd be better off with a niche walmart grocer, except that walmart is already across 30.

i'd also argue that the access to lincoln square is far better than eastchase. trying to get out of that parking lot on a saturday is like trying to get out of TMS after a race. you can sit at the only exit traffic light for half an hour when it gets crowded. at lincoln square, there are exits in front of every store that feed onto major roads.

#22 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(eastchaseclean @ Feb 11 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post

(and incidently, the access to Lincoln Square is not better than Eastchase Marketplace)

Sorry, not so at all. sad.gif

The access to the Eastchase Shopping Center on the southside of I-30 was a nightmare of poor design from the get-go. Originally, on the far north end where PetSmart was located, there was no entrance nor exit: all traffic that drove back that way to where the large stores were had to come back out the same way. Eventually, a small access road was cut in and paved on the north side of the PetSmart, but few people knew about it, and by the time it was in place, shopping habits had changed, and the big stores had left.

I'm surprised Target hangs in there; it's practically a ghost town. When Target does finally pull out, they should bulldoze the entire center from ROSS northward, and put in a nice multi-family living complex. It would be a much better use of that wasted space.

Just my Two cents, but worth every penny of it. smile.gif

#23 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(edperc @ Feb 3 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

Absolutely agree. My wife and I live on the east side, White Lake Hills area, and stopped going to eastchase a long time ago because of the problems with access and traffic. We would have gladly continued giving business to that PetsMart if only access from the highway didn't require navigating to the far side of the shopping center and around just to reach the west side.

Isn't freeway accessibilty a problem for most of East FW...especially from I-30?? Maybe because of the old turnpike, but, IMO, the eastern neighborhoods like Woodhaven, Meadowbrook, White Lake, etc have all suffered, especially retail-wise because of the horrible freeway access. I know several people that live in East FW and they all have complained that the Eastside is underserved in just about every way.

#24 eastchaseclean

eastchaseclean

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Your observations are duly and respectfully noted....

I will still not give up on the desire to turn this part of FW into something great, just because of a poorly conceived strip center in its midst.

With some of the best topography in the Metroplex, Trinity River frontage, a top-rated golf course, central access to all attractions of the DFW area, and a relatively clean slate to make it what it deserves to be, I think it deserves attention.

And with residences who include one of the most popular authors in the U.S., the highest-rated radio personality in the southern U.S., and the former homes of an All Pro NFL football player and perhaps the greatest MLB pitcher of all time, this isn't exactly a slum.

And about the access. . . Try this....
- Drive along I-30 and take any of the exits and circuitous routes to the new PetsMart at Lincoln Square, then take any of the equally maze-like routes back out onto I-30 . . .

- Now drive along I-30 and take any of the very direct routes to the old PetsMart site at Eastchase Marketplace. The return to I-30 is equally direct. Yea, if it's crowded, there is the new back road next to the old PetsMart that goes direct to Cooks Lane, right to I-30.

- Of course, there are back roads in and out of Lincoln Square too, but Ooops, that takes another looping cluster via Cooper, or a mile long drag down Copeland.

Again, I agree that access is not great at these Centers, but I still contend that Lincoln Squares' is not better.

smilewink.gif

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

Access to Lincoln Square will be improved before long.

#26 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(eastchaseclean @ Feb 12 2007, 09:07 PM) View Post

And with residences who include one of the most popular authors in the U.S., the highest-rated radio personality in the southern U.S., and the former homes of an All Pro NFL football player and perhaps the greatest MLB pitcher of all time, this isn't exactly a slum.

I mentioned that other than a pocket of a dozen or so homes, the area was a slum. i still stand by that statement. no doubt the homes on meadowbrook are very nice (although the author no longer lives back there, that home has been turned into a religious retreat compound and pays no property taxes as it is exempt. also, if you are counting former residents, you might also mention a former manager of the rangers). however, the apartments in the immediate area are far from even modest. they are as close to subsidized housing as you can get. i think the area has potential, but with arlington discussing redevelopment of the slummy areas near the ballpark (both north and south of I30), where do you think those residents are going to move? my best guess would be east fort worth. again, nothing against the area, i agree it has a lot of potential and the new development around waterchase is a step in the right direction, but i think that center and several around it (walmart, carmax) have set a precedent that the shopping around eastchase is targeting low-income shoppers using big box concepts.

to address the I30 access, i don't disagree that freeway access is far superior at eastchase (for now). but if you are a north arlington resident, how important is access to the freeway really going to be? chances are, you live within 2 or 3 miles of the collins exit and then 2 or 3 miles north or south of the freeway. why not just take surface roads. my point is that as a draw for north arlington consumers, I30 access is probably less important than it appears (i would contend that the success of lincoln square proves that statement to be true).

#27 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(eastchaseclean @ Feb 12 2007, 11:07 PM) View Post

Again, I agree that access is not great at these Centers, but I still contend that Lincoln Squares' is not better.

Lincoln Sq. is better in that it offers a better mix of retail and restaurants. So much that is most likely draws a lot of customers that live in FW near Eastchase. I work with someone who live near Cooks Lane. He's said before that he never goes to FW and one of the reasons he moved to that particular area is because not only is it close to Dallas for work, but close to Arlington for shopping and eating.

QUOTE(PLS @ Feb 13 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

i agree it has a lot of potential and the new development around waterchase is a step in the right direction, but i think that center and several around it (walmart, carmax) have set a precedent that the shopping around eastchase is targeting low-income shoppers using big box concepts.

The retail mix at Montgomery plaza, with the exception of restaurants, isn't that much more upscale than that around Eastchase. And like MP, it's not the retail that's the problem, it's the design of the buildings. Although I would love urban, mixed use designs in that area, realistically, I've come to expect the retail centers around Eastchase to be surburban designed centers sitting in huge parking lots. But it seems like the centers there and the big box retailers are using the cheapest and most generic looking designs. MP's design is disappointing because of its location, but put its surburban component there at Eastchase were the Target-anchored center is, and it doesn't look half-bad...IMO

#28 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(PLS @ Feb 13 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post

I mentioned that other than a pocket of a dozen or so homes, the area was a slum. i still stand by that statement.

It's a shame to be wrong, twice, for the same statement.

Granted, there are a lot of $100K homes all around there, but it's pretty far from being a slum.

South of I-30
From Sandy Lane to Morrison is hit and miss. Mostly 1960's ranch style construction around $100K with a couple fo apartment complexes next to the freeway.

Morrison to Cooks Lane is a mix of 1980's ($150K - $250K) and 2000's construction ($100K - $120K).

Between Cooks Lane and Eastchase/Dottie Lynn is also mixed. Some new construction in the $115K - $135K range, also pockets of ranchettes $300K to $500K. There is a gated community near Cooks and Division (the name escapes me) of $1M homes.

There is also the aforementioned pocket south of Eastchase and Ederville of $700K to $3M homes.

Well within "10 miles" of the Target is the Westwood area, not very slummy.

The roughest parts of that area are around Meadowbrook and 820, which is a hike from the Eastchase development. The area is not Westover Hills, but it's a far cry from East Berry.

It sounds to me like PLS really has not spent any time in the area, or he/she would not make such ignorant statements.

#29 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Feb 13 2007, 12:44 PM) View Post

It sounds to me like PLS really has not spent any time in the area, or he/she would not make such ignorant statements.

I don't find PLS's statements ingnorant at all. (A ghetto being different things to differenct people, PLS is definitley not the first person I've heard refer to the area as such) The majority of the homes in the area, are near the average or low end of home prices. With lower-end retail, numerous cheap, aging, high-crime apartment complexes, and the "stigma" that many FWorthians have about the area (and the Eastside in general), this area could easily go very bad, very quickly. I find the area's topography beautiful and full of potential. And although, I don't think the area is a "ghetto" now by any means, I think PLS's observation that the area could easily go that way isn't far off.

#30 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

the immediate area surrounding the center is most definitely a slum. the 10 mile trade area (which i never mentioned), while maybe not a slum, is certainly low-income on the fort worth side (arlington is a different story, but as has been discussed, this center failed to draw n. arlington shoppers). i'm not sure what definition of low income demos you are using, but a sprinkling of $300k+ homes among a majority of $100k homes is not what i would call middle income. First move-up housing is typically in the $200k-$250k+ range, which i would consider to be modest income level trade demographics. regardless of your definitions, i would find it difficult to imagine many other people on the board agreeing with your assertion that the eastchase market is something other than low income. twice wrong, i think not.

#31 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Feb 12 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post

Isn't freeway accessibilty a problem for most of East FW...especially from I-30?? Maybe because of the old turnpike, but, IMO, the eastern neighborhoods like Woodhaven, Meadowbrook, White Lake, etc have all suffered, especially retail-wise because of the horrible freeway access. I know several people that live in East FW and they all have complained that the Eastside is underserved in just about every way.

Correct,vjackson!

But from the rest of the Eastside ghetto's I know,Eastchase is far from ghetto.A few apartment complexes have some elements,but we feel comfortable while shopping and eating in the area.We are more cautious at Meadowbrook and Handley,while grocery shopping.I wouldnt call this part of Eastside ghetto either,but it's close. cry.gif
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#32 eastchaseclean

eastchaseclean

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thank you all for your input....

Although I don't want to admit to the "negative" parts of Eastchase, I do know they exist. With the history of east Fort Worth (Woodhaven), I too am fully aware that Eastchase could really go bad, really quick.

Your input has given me a gauge of how daunting my personal crusade will be to improve Eastchase. But I'm not going to give up.

And about that access thing. . . . . . smile.gif

#33 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(PLS @ Feb 13 2007, 02:32 PM) View Post

but a sprinkling of $300k+ homes among a majority of $100k homes is not what i would call middle income.

It's more than a sprinking. But I want to be clear here, I'm not saying it's a great area. I wouldn't raise my kids there. That's why I moved away from east FW a few years ago. By the same token, it's not a slum.

Here are some dictionary definitions of "slum"

a thickly populated, run-down, squalid part of a city, inhabited by poor people.

A heavily populated urban area characterized by substandard housing and squalor

a district of a city marked by poverty and inferior living conditions

a group of houses, blocks of flats, street etc where the conditions are dirty and overcrowded and the building(s) usually in a bad state

The place just doesn't qualify under standard definitions of the word "slum". A lot of it may be lower middle class, but these people are not impoverished. "Poor", "Poverty", "squalor", "overcrowded" - These words just don't apply. Slum is a poor choice of words for the area.

Now let's look at the word "ignorant"

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Now this is a word that was correctly used.

QUOTE(PLS @ Feb 13 2007, 02:32 PM) View Post

regardless of your definitions, i would find it difficult to imagine many other people on the board agreeing with your assertion that the eastchase market is something other than low income.

Yeah, 8 posts into it and you're an expert on what people on this forum think...

#34 PLS

PLS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

i'm not sure how my post degenerated into a personal attack; perhaps your way of welcoming new members to the forum? conf.gif clearly you are the expert on the eastchase area, so name me an apartment complex in immediate proximity to the center that isn't "marked by poverty and inferior living conditions" or "where the conditions are dirty and overcrowded and the building(s) usually in a bad state." the houses 1-3 miles away are, for the most part, not slummy. i never claimed they were (if you took the tie to go back and read my posts). i realize you lived in the area for some period of time, but detach your personal feelings from the situation. the fact is that the demographics aren't great.

now to address the name-calling. nothing i've said has been misinformed. we may disagree on the relative prosperity of the area, or the condition of the housing available nearby; however, i have shown to have a fairly knowledgeable understanding of both retail development and demographic analysis.

now if we can examine another definition:

"know-it-all" - noun - a person who acts as though he or she knows everything and who dismisses the opinion, suggestions, or comments of others.

sleepgo.gif

#35 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(PLS @ Feb 15 2007, 08:05 PM) View Post

"know-it-all" - noun - a person who acts as though he or she knows everything and who dismisses the opinion, suggestions, or comments of others.

Fair enough. I was probably a little personal in my statements.

What I don't get is this. If Eastchase is a slum, what do you call stop six and south Oak Cliff, East St. Louis or Compton for that matter? What's worse in your mind than a slum?

To me, and based on the dictionary definitions, slum is at or near the bottom on the socioeconomic spectrum. You clearly equated big box retail with the low-income people who live around Eastchase, which you have repeatedly called a slum. So, if Walmart, Target and Lowe's are the slum indicators, what do you[u] call an area where people stand around a 55 Gallon barrel burning trash to stay warm, where gunshots ring out at night, where cops are scared to arrest people? To me, that's a slum.

#36 Nitixope

Nitixope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

Some potential big news about this area (that I report only as a rumor) is that Target is seriously considering closing its location South of I-30 and building a SuperTarget along Anderson Blvd. north of the freeway. I don’t suspect it will be the newly developed plot between Lowes and I-30 but perhaps towards Cooks Ln.

Pantego Bible Church is a major asset to the Eastchase area. They have an extraordinary plot of land have used their resources wisely, especially integrating their buildings with the surrounding landscape. If you have a chance to attend a service or go to a recital in their main building, I think you will be pleasantly surprised of both the interior and exterior.

On a side note, when driving along Green Oaks Blvd from I-30 to Greenbelt I have always wondered why people continue to build beautiful hillside homes yards away from the sewage treatment plant. The stench can be overwhelming!

#37 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Nitixope @ Feb 16 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
On a side note, when driving along Green Oaks Blvd from I-30 to Greenbelt I have always wondered why people continue to build beautiful hillside homes yards away from the sewage treatment plant. The stench can be overwhelming!

Me Too!!

I guess this is one of life's mysteries never to be solved in this lifetime. Several years ago, I lived at about the intersection of Lamar and Fielder, and the smell of the sewage plant was at times quite pungent even that far away. I cannot imagine what it must be like living right across the street. . . . And people pay big bucks for the privilege. blink.gif blink.gif

#38 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

EASTCHASE is GHETTO!!!

??? sad.gif

Come on, let's keep the childish arguments going. I figure since SHAKE and BAKE are not actually driving in the D500, then ANYTHING else is something better to do or watch.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#39 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

I came to Fort Worth on Saturday and noticed the "new?" LaQuinta off Eastchase looked like it was closed and a construction crew seemed to be stripping it from the inside. Anyone know what's going on. That place isn't very old.

(Had a great time in FW, but didn't have time to check out the new development on W7th like I had plannned. Maybe next time!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users