12 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

Premiering November 2nd. I know my mom is excited!

http://www.hgtv.com/...flop-fort-worth

Curious how the show will portray FW, and how the show will influence the neighborhoods it is set in. The previews look like *really* run down areas.

#2 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

nothing that'll make us look 'city'. basically fields, cows, guns, and BBQs. 

#3 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Premiering November 2nd. I know my mom is excited!

http://www.hgtv.com/...flop-fort-worth

Curious how the show will portray FW, and how the show will influence the neighborhoods it is set in. The previews look like *really* run down areas.

No different from DIY network. Texas Flip N Move that started in 2014. I hear it is a hit show on that network. They make it very clear about it being in and around Fort Worth.  So I don't really expect any real different image about Fort Worth on this show. We will see I guess.

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm sure this will be good exposure for the city, but the thing to remember about these real estate and home renovation "reality" shows is that the final on air product is what the producers and networks want you to see and not necessarily reality.  I've had a friend and an acquaintance appear on different HGTV shows.

One appeared on House Hunters about 10 years ago.  They shopped for a home in the HEB area.  None of the 3 houses that they looked at were actually for sale (2 of them belong to close friends) and the house they "bought" on the show was not the house that they lived in.

I had an acquaintance that appeared on Fixer Upper last season.  They had already picked out the home they purchased on the show and never considered the other two that they looked at.  The dollar figures thrown out on the show for the final product are not terribly accurate.  I don't think it's much of a secret that the furnishings and some decor installed on the show are extra expenses, but there is also a service fee for the show talent that's not included in the advertised cost.

#5 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'm sure this will be good exposure for the city, but the thing to remember about these real estate and home renovation "reality" shows is that the final on air product is what the producers and networks want you to see and not necessarily reality.  I've had a friend and an acquaintance appear on different HGTV shows.

One appeared on House Hunters about 10 years ago.  They shopped for a home in the HEB area.  None of the 3 houses that they looked at were actually for sale (2 of them belong to close friends) and the house they "bought" on the show was not the house that they lived in.

I had an acquaintance that appeared on Fixer Upper last season.  They had already picked out the home they purchased on the show and never considered the other two that they looked at.  The dollar figures thrown out on the show for the final product are not terribly accurate.  I don't think it's much of a secret that the furnishings and some decor installed on the show are extra expenses, but there is also a service fee for the show talent that's not included in the advertised cost.

In other words, it's television. 

But the reality is that this is good exposure for Fort Worth.  I was actually happy to see a black couple as the two stars.  Not because I care about what race someone is, but because my assumption would have been that HGTV would select a white couple with a very thick Texas accent so they could play up the Fort Worth thing.  I like that it's portraying our diversity. 

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I thought the same thing and I left that last point out of my post. I didn't mean to belittle the point of it being great exposure regardless of the nuances of reality television. If the preview shots are any indication, we'll see plenty of b-roll of the daily cattle drive, people eating mediocre BBQ at Angelo's, and sweeping panoramas of AT&T Stadium and I'm good with that if it helps people remember the show was filmed in Fort Worth.

#7 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Did anybody else catch the premier?

#8 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

It was today? Oops.

EDIT: I'm recording the 11:00 rerun.

- Dylan

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

It was alright I guess.

#10 tamtagon

tamtagon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

I see Flip & Move all the time (my brother loves that show) and as far as "reality" shows go, whatever. I'll look at 10ish minutes of something like that with some interest, but a show like this loses me when the personalities of the participants become as much a part of the entertainment as the basic premise. Flip & Move is starting to make that transition a little, but now like Pawn Stars or Mythbusters or Pickers..... I want to see what the participants are doing, I don't want to get to know the participants!

I like how Fort Worth is central to Flip & Move, kinda neat to see the Bass Bros buildings on TV. The folks on Flip & Move sure do fit the personalities of rural and suburban types I've know from Denton and Tarrant counties, actually, these characters are much more true to what I've known than any of the "reality" personalities of shows based in Dallas -- the Dallas shows seems to have been built in the caricature of real people's antics from the beginning. I'm scared to watch Real Housewives of Dallas because I think it's probably the dumbest thing ever.

I know CMT(?) has a Fort Worth Cowgirl show, but I've never seen it. It's good enough exposure for the city until the stereotypes really start to twist and turn, then it' could easily show negative. 

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

I PRAY that we never see "Real Housewives of Fort Worth"   :( 

#12 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

I haven't seen the show but I know a good friend of mine posted screenshots that she is in the first episode - so that's cool.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#13 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

Finally watched tonight. It was overall, fair assessment of prices in area and good rehab. Scenes around town were all what I would consider heart of the city and not all cowboys. I will watch it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users