#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,786 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Hometown by Handlebar has a very nice blog on the history of the buildings that comprise Reata, or the Caravan of Dreams.  He has put together some interesting reading, documents, Sanborn Maps, and historic photographs.  I think all of you will enjoy this.

http://hometownbyhan...ar.com/?p=24205

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

From Howard  W. Peak's 'A Ranger of Commerce', circa 1929... 

"...Fort Worth is named the Panther City, from the tradition that a panther laid down in one opf its streets.  The origin of this rather confusing term seems to bother some minds, so I will describe how the term happened to be applied, I having been a witness to its parentage.   At the time, Fort Worth had but a few designated streets, and the one wherein the panther "laid down", was then known as the Weatherford Road, now, Weatherford street. As a boy, my father's horse and cow lot were about fifty feet south of this road, the residence facing the "Dallas Road", now known as Houston street.

One spring morning while I was in the lot feeding the horses and milking the cows, I was called for by an old Baptist preacher, named Fitzgerald, who occupied the second story of a building located on the corner adjoining our residence.

"Howard, come here quick, I want to show you something."  I alertly responded, and was shown by this man of highly imaginative mind the outlines of a 'panther' described in the dusty roadway."

Was that this group of wooden structures he mentions?

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,786 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Probably not because there were many wooden buildings present in the city about that time and he also stated they were about fifty feet south of Weatherford, these buildings are more than fifty feet south.  Each block is 200 feet square and streets are either 60 or 80 feet wide.  The Reata buildings are between 2nd and 3rd Streets.  That would put them around 500 feet from Weatherford Street.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users