314 replies to this topic

#301 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

I almost wonder if they're resigning themselves to the fact that HQ2 isn't coming to this area and, in some warped way, by lumping the city in with Dallas, it becomes a loss for Dallas with Fort Worth not getting any of the blame.  I don't know.  And I use the word "blame" loosely.  I don't think that Fort Worth or Dallas or any other has "lost" by not getting HQ2.  This was an elaborate dog and pony show centered around giving a big hand out to one of the wealthiest companies in the world.  The criteria set out were so absurdly ideal that it's likely the whole thing hinges on the incentives.  Hell, if I were to believe some of what I've read, the decision was made long before the request for proposals went public.

#302 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

I think you may be right that Bezos and associates had a pre-conceived decision as to where to re-locate.  This "bidding process" struck me as being something like "the democratic thing to do since we're a major U.S. corporation and believe in good business practices."  You would think there's a law that exists requiring companies like Amazon to engage in the request-for-proposal (RFP) bidding process.  Nope, with the narrow exception of when you contract with the government.

Used to be only governments engaged in RFP bidding, which was an outcome of the "good government" movement that began at the turn of the 20th Century.  Regulations are on the books making this mandatory from the federal government down to states, counties, and cities.  Something about choosing on the basis of merit rather than political patronage.  So much for my philosophy on this.  But like you I could be incorrect.  Maybe Bezos is so democratically inclined as to give cities a chance to partake in his largesse.  Maybe he really will make his decision on the basis of "merit" in each of the the various individual city or regional profiles.  Of course, if he had already made his decision, we would know that for sure if the chosen location is not on the list of those who submitted bids.

#303 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Im sure he'd be smart and add the city hidden in the list. sadly we dont know which city.

#304 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

More insightful advocacy from the Star-Telegram, this time not merely for the "Dallas-Fort Worth region" but all of Texas.  Either Dallas or Austin is fine with our local (aka Dallas) newspaper.  Governor Abbott vowing that we won't give away the store.

http://www.star-tele...e196740929.html

#305 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

Governor Abbott vowing that we won't give away the store.

GIF-o-rly-really-skeptical-yeah-right-GI

#306 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

Lay offs at Amazon's Seattle headquarters:

https://techcrunch.c...o-a-new-report/

I'm starting to wonder if HQ2 is going to happen or if it was ever going to happen.

#307 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lay offs at Amazon's Seattle headquarters:

https://techcrunch.c...o-a-new-report/

I'm starting to wonder if HQ2 is going to happen or if it was ever going to happen.

Hmmm.  Costly over-expansion?  Or a portent of recession?

#308 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

Probably over-expansion.  I would imagine this was in the works well before the recent stock market blip.

It's all relative of course.  Amazon laying off a couple of hundred HQ employees is like me turning off a lamp in my living room while I'm watching TV at night because my electric bill was high last month.

I posted the article with that comment because something has not felt right about the whole HQ2 ordeal from the beginning.  The public call for proposals with vague and almost impossible to fulfill criteria has wreaked of an exercise to garner massive financial incentives.  I've read more than one article suggesting that Amazon already knew where they planned to build before the cattle call and I'm starting to wonder if it even happens at all.

#309 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Probably over-expansion.  I would imagine this was in the works well before the recent stock market blip.

It's all relative of course.  Amazon laying off a couple of hundred HQ employees is like me turning off a lamp in my living room while I'm watching TV at night because my electric bill was high last month.

I posted the article with that comment because something has not felt right about the whole HQ2 ordeal from the beginning.  The public call for proposals with vague and almost impossible to fulfill criteria has wreaked of an exercise to garner massive financial incentives.  I've read more than one article suggesting that Amazon already knew where they planned to build before the cattle call and I'm starting to wonder if it even happens at all.

I had that same feeling myself. if Texas *does* get selected, its more than likely Houston or Austin that will get it. we will never get it as it will either be in dallas or be considered dallas. 

#310 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Houston wasn't listed in Amazon's "top 20" list.

- Dylan

#311 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

Presented without comment

https://www.dallasne...time=1519127026

#312 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted Today, 12:08 PM

"Spineless!"

#313 tamtagon

tamtagon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted Today, 12:34 PM

"Spineless!"

...and it's from former Star-T mainstay Mitchell Schnurman.

#314 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted Today, 01:59 PM

I'm just amazed that a professional journalist with a pulse actually believes that Amazon cares about anything beyond the economic incentives.  All of their "criteria" are all easily discoverable to anyone with Internet access.  This whole dog and pony show is about who can give them the best handout.

#315 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted Today, 03:27 PM

The article is just clickbait, which seems to be what "journalism" has eroded into these days in many cases.  While his percentages might be correct, they are irrelevant to Amazon's calculations.  Carmel CA likely has an extremely high percentage of educated people, but you don't see small cities in the running because it's the raw numbers that matter...not the percentages.  Every educated worker in Fort Worth adds to Amazon's potential workforce.  Sadly, the article was clearly designed to generate the most publicity/views instead of presenting a coherent argument.  Schnurman is not actually an idiot, but this was a very poor effort.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users