6 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

Might be reading too much into this one, but notice the cars on Belknap. It's shown as a 2-way street. Calming Belknap/Weatherford's vehicular traffic would do a lot to help pedestrians working their way north from Sundance into the park.ogUlce5.jpg

Yes.... I love it. I agree that the 2 way street will help slow the traffic down. That's a great idea.

I have been giving some thoughts to the favoritism being given to changing once 1-way streets into 2-way streets; and finds myself questioning whether this really makes sense in terms of efficiency.  I currently think that one way streets are more efficient in moving traffic than are two way streets.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

In 2011, Louisville converted two one-way streets near downtown, each a little more than a mile long, back to two-way traffic. In data that they gathered over the following three years, Gilderbloom and William Riggs found that traffic collisions dropped steeply — by 36 percent on one street and 60 percent on the other — after the conversion, even as the number of cars traveling these roads increased. Crime dropped too, by about a quarter, as crime in the rest of the city was rising. Property values rose, as did business revenue and pedestrian traffic, relative to before the change and to a pair of nearby comparison streets. The city, as a result, now stands to collect higher property tax revenues along these streets, and to spend less sending first-responders to accidents there.

https://www.washingt...m=.ed635b9684e3

Also keep in mind that Weatherford and Belknap's intersection with Henderson is one of the most accident prone in the entire region.

Also check out what AT&T asked of Dallas to keep thier HQ downtown - smaller and 2 way streets.

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Without attempting to discount the accident statistics, there are a handful of corridors that serve the added purpose of facilitating crosstown traffic routes.  Both Belknap and Weatherford Streets serve as alternatives to the freeway to connect east and west sectors of the city. 

The reduction in lanes will slow down traffic to allow right and left turns; and will create greater congestion and gridlock.

#4 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

The reduction in lanes will slow down traffic to allow right and left turns; and will create greater congestion and gridlock.

I kinda disagree that more congestion will be created. Once Belknap & Weatherford streets become 2 way streets they will serve the same purpose as a single one way street.

That is the problem I believe they are trying to solve. "How to slow down people who use one way streets downtown as a freeway going at freeway speeds."

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:05 AM

Didn't realize they were planning to make Belknap two ways.

As a pedestrian in downtown areas, I much prefer one way streets. That way, you only have to worry about cross traffic coming from one direction.

You know what you speak of.  

Add the "left turn" to that mixture and you have the perfect "witch's brew".

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

I think the one-way streets in downtown are about right.  I wouldn't mess with them, especially around the courthouse.

My blog: Doohickie

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

I don't think it would to be honest... I think flashing pedestrian lights embedded in the street has been the best solution that I have seen here. Dallas has a couple and it really helps to make drivers more conscious about crossing pedestrians.

Well they are meant to be noticed... they are not aesthetically pleasing but they sure look better than the lights of ambulances at the scene of a pedestrian/auto altercation.

I guess from the opposition on this forum to the solutions being proposed is to just keep things the way they are now on both streets and just put the onus on the pedestrian to take their safety and well-being into their own hands and hope for the best.

IMO people drive way to fast on both streets coming into and out of downtown and I have seen many cars run the red lights making this area feel very unsafe even when I'm in a vehicle. If Heritage Park is to become the meeting place we envision it to become then changes to the vehicular pattern needs to change. If not then I believe many tragedies that could have been avoided will occur.

Perhaps what is needed is the "Human Factor" aka motorcops and bicycle patrol to cover the 6 blocks encompassing Weatherford and Belknap Streets.  I'm old enough to remember the day when there were traffic cadets in Downtown intersections.  Even mounted police.  Nothing slowed down cars like the sight of law enforcement.

Traffic Cadet a top of a tower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users