3 replies to this topic

#1 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Photography, Architecture, Cycling, Broadcasting, Art

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:23 PM

I just watched the documentary film, My Architect: A Son's Journey. It is a documentary about the life and work of architect Louis I. Kahn (architect of the Kimbell Museum). It was directed by his son, Nathaniel Kahn. Louis Kahn had 3 separate families that were kept secret from one another; part of the film is about his son's reconciliation of these secret lives. There is also significant discussions of Louis Kahn's work including interviews with Philip Johnson, I.M.Pei, and Frank Gehry.

There is a section in the film about the Kimbell, with some beautiful film of it (both new and old).

I really enjoyed this film. I primarily enjoyed it for the discussion of Kahn's architecture, but the rest of the story of Kahn's personal life was very interesting, too.

here's a link to the DVD of My Architect at Amazon.com

#2 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

I saw the film at the Modern. It was excellent. He was a very enigmatic guy.

#3 Nitixope

Nitixope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:41 AM

Great documentary. Don't bother buying from Amazon; the Central Library has it on DVD and Riverside has it on VHS. Fort Worth is fortunate to have a one of Kahn's original buildings.

#4 1849

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

I can say this is one of the best documentary films I have seen. It helps being interested in the subject of architecture, but the show produces some very interesting questions and answers about the designer of one of Fort Worth's most impressive structures.

If you have not seen this movie, do so. One viewing is not enough, there are so many interesting facts throughout the documentary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users