• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

For those of you who subscribe to the History Channel a local historic preservation advocate will be presenting an 8-part series on "Lone Star Restoration."  The FWB article below gives details.

http://www.fortworth...59181f37f4.html

#2 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

Hopefully, I'll remember to watch.

- Dylan

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

I hope this pushes Fort Worth's reputation as being a city that embraces it's past and preserves history. 

#4 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

There have been several shots of the Fort Worth skyline, but no mention of Fort Worth so far.

Somewhat interesting show so far. Right now, the restoration guy is touring a historic home and is considering buying it. Before this, he was trying to figure how how to put together a cut up column from a different house.

EDIT: A Fort Worth water tower was just shown.

- Dylan

#5 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

Brent Hull seemed at ease in the show. I was not aware that he dabbled in (historic) real estate but given his specific business, the addition of  buying and rehabbing older homes make sense. I wasn't exactly sure what brick house he looked at (Southside?) that appeared to be from c. 1910, but the interior was time capsule-like inside which is pretty rare to find anywhere these days. It appears that a deal with the family owners to acquire that property was made and its restoration will appear in a future episode. I was personally in charge of a 21 column remove and rebuild on a 1901 Classical Revival mansion in St. Joseph, MO back in 2005 and three of the columns were broken down into individual staves so they had to be re-glued and pieced back together. Some wood rot occurred at the base of two of these columns but by using an epoxy consolidant (Abatron's Liquid Wood) as well as using an admix of Wood Epox by the same firm the structural integrity was restored adequately for the rebuilt column to return to a support function. The months long project won a local preservation award in 2006 for the property owner. Thankfully, the columns I dealt with there were about half the size of the colossal Classic Palestine, TX column.  Mr. Hull and his crew were lucky no one was injured in trying to put the repaired column back in place. If it had been my project, I would have created a sling harness and used a block and tackle to pull it up into place with guide ropes off to the sides for sway control. Better would have been to use a temporary crane/lift with a harness sling to pick up and bring the column into alignment with the base. But all's well that ends well.  It was refreshing to see a show that demonstrated a preservation friendly approach to repairing old structures in stark contrast to the rehab/flip shows on other channels which take a gut and replace everything approach. Romeo, Brent Hull's friendly canine companion, almost stole the show. I look forward to watching future episodes as the show promotes historic preservation in a positive way.

#6 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

This is a great show. The Willing House (in Ryan Place) is going to be a season-long project and then each show has another 1-2 shorter projects that will be highlighted. Pretty amazing such a show comes out of Fort Worth given our track record. 

Brent Hull will be the guest speaker for the Oakhurst Neighborhood this Thursday evening at our regular monthly meeting. I plan to be there!

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

Watching for the first time tonight. Love it so far. Some cool establishing shots of the city. Been to Thistle Hill and Thompson's and an old house in what looked like Ryan Place.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Is this show even still on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users