4 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

Sounds like FUMC downtown has some big plans. There are 4 phases, the biggest parts of which include expansion space on the existing parking lot NE of the building which will include children areas and other church related facilities, demolition of the existing church foundation building to the East which would be replaced by a multilevel garage and church offices. 

These plans seem to be a year old now, but you can read much more about everything on the church's website here. http://www.fumcfortw...rg/masterplan1/

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Been slow on the forum so figure I'd post some thoughts and maybe some discussion going. 

I perhaps worry that it will form a bit of a superblock, there's not much of a north-south option from Macon to Cherry street, but perhaps not a big deal. 

The garage should be a nice addition, the church plans on leasing out spaces during the week so that is nice. I wish they'd be able to sell off or further develop some more of the empty blocks, which the garage could perhaps compensate for. As the Upper West side grows and the western part of the downtown core moves Westward (Such as Frost tower) the church is right in the middle of all that. They basically have 8 blocks (one of the largest landowners in downtown). The campus has a bit of a barrier feel to expansion of downtown. 

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

I have a hard time getting terribly concerned about the danger of the superblock since they're not expanding beyond the property they already own and they aren't asking for existing street right-of-ways to be abandoned. I sure wish they would vacate the surface lots south of 5th when the garage is complete. That's prime real estate.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,790 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

Over the years, the church really hasn't combined very many blocks into superblocks.  They did abandon Florence Street between 5th and 7th to combine those two blocks of parking into one, and Florence was abandoned on the west side of the sanctuary to provide safe access from the parking lot on the west.  The church property has always been in the middle of the street grid shift in downtown and several larger blocks have been a result of the two grids intersecting.

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

I just wish they would just build a bigger Mission right on 3rd & Henderson next to the church and just give the other lots up. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, first united Methodist church

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users