6 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

DFWI has posted a draft of the 2016 design guidelines. It's mostly boring but has some interesting notes. In particular, buildings on the highlighted streets must be 3 stories. 

HEIGHTLIMITS_zpsa3rua6fv.jpg

You can see the draft on DFWI

#2 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:13 AM

DFWI has posted a draft of the 2016 design guidelines. It's mostly boring but has some interesting notes. In particular, buildings on the highlighted streets must be 3 stories. 

HEIGHTLIMITS_zpsa3rua6fv.jpg

You can see the draft on DFWI

Read the Urban Design guidelines...building heights a "minimum" of 3 stories along the streets you have skillfully outlined here.

I would have preferred a kind of "declining scale" from center to periphery.  That is, declining minimum height standards from 12 floors near center of DT to 3 floors on periphery.  I've always fancily envisioned a downtown skyline as looking like a symmetrical pyramid...if not by design, then by market-driven development based on land scarcity, density, and other factors.  In other words, taller buildings in the center declining to smaller buildings toward the periphery.  Of course downtown skylines of many megalopolises today (e.g. Tokyo) look more like a massive gapped-tooth mouth rather than a symmetrical pyramid shape.

#3 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I wonder if that will change this design for the new bank on the northwest corner of 7th & Summit?

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

I wonder if that will change this design for the new bank on the northwest corner of 7th & Summit?

If I'm not mistaken that's already gone through the DDRB, but I'm not sure whether or not it was approved. 

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:20 AM

Here's an update (FW Business website) on the proposed expansion of the downtown district regarding building design standards.

http://www.fortworth...d185eeacda.html

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

Hers's another rendering. The building is 3 floors taller in this one than the last, and has some extra height on the top floor. It is 25 floors in this render. Also shown is a small night time view with the glass section at the top being illuminated. 

ZBnimom.jpg

Whats wrong with this picture?  Hint - It time to revisit DDRB signage policy.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

They could build this hotel without the top of building signage.  I still think that maybe the signs should be granted or denied on a case by case basis.  In this proposal, I see two top of building signs.  Another big question is, "Are there two more?"  I could easily see that the Residence Inn would want one on the east side that matched the west, so that it could be seen from I-35W.  I could also see they would want one on the north side, so that when you go southbound on Houston Street, you can see it, as well.  If you remember, I pointed out that Century Life had rooftop signs on all four sides of their soon to be demolished building, and it is only five stories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users