• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

...and for the first time, the word "Colonial" is not in the official name of the tournament.  For at least the next six years, it will be known as (although certainly never referred to locally) as the Dean & DeLuca Invitational.

Star Telegram: Colonial tournament lands Dean & DeLuca as title sponsor

Maybe you're as confused as I was initially.  Dean & DeLuca, apparently, is a Wichita based high-end grocery chain that currently does not have a location anywhere in Texas.

According to the FWST article, however, they do have plans to expand into Texas (and specifically, DFW, though a Fort Worth location was not specified).  

#2 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Expectations are that the Clearfork/Edwards Ranch development will have a Dean & DeLuca location.

#3 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

Nice!

#4 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

Jordan Spieth is confirmed for this year's event:

FWST: Spieth joins Colonial field, providing coup for new title sponsor 

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

Annnnnnd CUT!

https://account.star...esume=179696551

#6 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

It's sad that the tournament is loosing the sponsorship funds, and that the TV ratings are down. I wasn't very keen on the name change in the first place.

Erik France

#7 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

It's sad that the tournament is loosing the sponsorship funds, and that the TV ratings are down. I wasn't very keen on the name change in the first place.

I agree. I heard Colonial tried to get Toyota. But they said timing was not right. In other words no. You would think American Airlines would want to sponsor a hometown event like this ? I am not a big fan of golf. But the year before I watched on TV Spieth win the Colonial was exciting. 

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

One article I read earlier today implied that the sponsorship was set up through the PGA. I'm not sure what role that would play in local companies sponsoring local tournaments or how that would fit with the PGA's sponsorship agreement with United Airlines.

Purely an anecdotal observation, but I heard rumblings a couple of years ago that Toyota was reluctant to jump into sponsorships and partnerships in this area prior to their actual move here (Toyota Stadium naming happened a year before the HQ announcement). I know of at least one local partnership that hasn't been announced yet that was pushed back after the initial discussions a couple of years ago.

I feel like Colonial has little to worry about as long as a sponsor lines up. It's the oldest tournament on the tour still played on its original course. That has to count for something. It will be interesting to see what the Nelson's upcoming move does to that tournament and how moving a major into May changes the schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users