8 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

Appropriate location for this event, as there was certainly a lot of cannabis consumed there during concerts over the years.

http://www.star-tele...le58107188.html

A few years ago I was a delegate for one of the political parties that has a state convention in Fort Worth at the same venue, and I visited a couple of booths put in by organizations whose purpose was to advocate for the decriminalization of cannabis. I thought the arguments were cogent, and subsequently several states have adopted medical use and Colorado has decriminalized possession and use. Dallas is issuing the equivalent of traffic tickets for small quantity possession. As I was listening to a news story the other day on arrests made in connection with sales of K2 ("synthetic marijuana") and the dangers associated with its use it occurred to me that if pot was legal probably no one would use K2; what would be the point. The war against marijuana moves along, most likely as a jobs-retention project for over-specialized law enforcement personnel and as a reliable income stream for lawyers and the bloated "justice" and incarceration industries.

#2 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Had to chuckle reading about this "event". Strange thoughts swirled around in my mind that if such conventions were to become regular local fare, Fort Worth would henceforth be known as the city of "Cowboys, Culture...and Cannabis" (gasp!) Perhaps that's not so far-fetched when Texas Country Music legend Willie Nelson has his personal brand/strain of cannabis sold legally in Colorado. His own legal problems surrounding his championing of the illegal weed are well documented. As a disclaimer, I'll reluctantly admit during my wild and woolly days of youth in the early 1970's I did take a toke or two but doubtful such an admission will excuse or preclude me from upcoming Jury Duty.

It also poignantly reminds me of the shock I felt during my childhood after finding out that some of my otherwise pious Protestant families members (among them even Church Deacons) had clandestine stashes of liquors hidden in ingenious places in their homes. At least I was spared the horrors of actually seeing them consume alcoholic beverages; that would have just been too much for my impressionable young mind to accept. But the ability to present a public image of virtuous propriety while having some secret vices has long been part of our Texas culture. I recall our now grown son bringing home a flyer handed out by some fringe religious group standing at the Tarrant County courthouse extolling the use of Marijuana as a sacrament of their faith. Might have worked to proselytize in some places but even here the definition of religious freedom has limits. Among the other handed-down tidbits of Cannabis related lore, I recall seeing an old newspaper clipping from the early 1950's when my then Police officer Dad was praised for busting some poor soul who had a single Marijuana joint found in a pants pocket. I don't recall the sentence handed down, but I do remember that until Texas laws were changed in the early 1970's possession of any measurable amount of pot when convicted, carried up to a 99 year sentence in state prison. Small wonder that expecting a more relaxed attitude by our State is unrealistic despite the fact that the K-2, which was legally sold for a while, is prevalent and arguably far more harmful to users than Cannabis. But at least in Texas, it's less of a health or scientific argument and more about overcoming old attitudes and cultural stigmas associated with it.  At age 65, I seriously doubt Cannabis will be made legal in Texas during my lifetime. Perhaps the best and most enlightened development that could be hoped for is allowing a limited medical use under strict supervision. Our drug of choice in Texas is and will probably always be liquor (we still have dry counties and cities) despite the lives lost to DWI's as well as wrecked families and careers because of its legal use. I could make an argument that as State revenue coffers are dwindling due to low Oil prices, making Cannabis legal and heavily taxed in our state might make up for some of the revenue shortfall but again, it's more of a cultural-moral issue with a stigma from the past standing in the way of a more relaxed attitude from state legislators. It will take far more than a few "Cannabis" conventions to change that in my opinion.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Not just Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska are 100% in on legal marijuana. I would like to see Fort Worth follow in Dallas's footsteps and decriminalize it as well. I'd assume it would eventually be legal everywhere, and even though Texas falls quite conservative, there is still the "keep the government out of my business" ideals behind a lot of things. I wish it were legal, it would be a great boost to the economy. I'll never mess with it though. I'm scared I'd like it. 

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Dallas didn't decriminalize it. The charge for possession is exactly the same as before. They just issue a ticket tied to a court date instead of arresting the offender.

#5 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

Fort Worth would henceforth be known as the city of "Cowboys, Culture...and Cannabis"

I hope this catches on!

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hopefully we'll get a POTUS that will remove it from the Federal level of law and allow each state to deal with it how they see fit. It would cut our criminal expenditures, at all levels, in half. Take money away from drug cartels, stop the flow of hard cash out of this country and redirect it back to our tax base. 

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

I predict Texas will have legalized cannabis in 10 years or less.  Too much tax money left on the table and the demographics of the state will force the issue as the state turns more purple.

#8 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Too much tax money left on the table 

This- plus legal marijuana would put a major dent in the power of the Mexican cartels.

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Legalization rally in Downtown Fort Worth:

http://www.star-tele...le76350597.html

I was in Washington DC on business recently and took a lunch-time stroll over to the White House. On the plaza in front was another cannabis demonstration, appearing to be mainly military veterans asking for legalized medical usage. There were about 20-30 demonstrators and about as many onlookers. Shortly after the end of the action someone jumped over the fence into the White House grounds... unrelated. The President was away in Europe at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users