16 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

Does the latest story coming out of Waco signals the beginning of yet another crisis that can threaten the survival of the conference?

#2 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Does the latest story coming out of Waco signals the beginning of yet another crisis that can threaten the survival of the conference?

As bad as that story is, I don't think that will have any bearing on the future of the conference.

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

I don't think it will even have much bearing on the future of Baylor.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

....I don't think that will have any bearing on the future of the conference.

I really hope that it will have no bearing.  I hope and pray that the Horned Frogs will not be abandoned by UT and OK supposing that BU gets the Penn State treatment. An outcome like that might give the Longhorns and Sooners to look elsewhere. An unofficial survey among the conference teams taken recently placed BU at the very bottom when it comes to favorability ratings.

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

Baylor isn't going to get the Penn State treatment, especially since most of the sanctions against Penn State were rescinded.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

Baylor isn't going to get the Penn State treatment, especially since most of the sanctions against Penn State were rescinded.

This story has quickly gone nationally.   To be honest, it does not rise to the level of Penn State, however I think it is way too soon to know what will happen to BU. 

It is possible and I do believe that it will lead to some stiff punishment, it could lead very likely to the coach and AD being asked to resign; and even the impeachment of Ken Starr. 

Of course, should it lead eventually to the unraveling of the Big 12, then it could put TCU in jeopardy once again.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

You have to fire Art Briles though right? Especcially if its proven that he knew what happened and covered it up to let the guy play. 

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

He never played a down of football for Baylor. Once he was indicted, there wasn't an effort to cover anything up to allow him to play. Briles will probably be safe unless direct evidence emerges that he tried to interfere with the university investigation. At worst, I think this gets painted as a poor investigation by the school itself.

If the balance of the Big 12 is so delicate that the woes of one school could bring the whole thing down, then the conference has far bigger problems than Baylor. And even if the conference did break up, TCU will land in another major conference in a heartbeat. If TCU's move to the Big 12 has proven anything, it's that they are a major player on the national stage.

#9 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

He never played a down of football for Baylor. Once he was indicted, there wasn't an effort to cover anything up to allow him to play. Briles will probably be safe unless direct evidence emerges that he tried to interfere with the university investigation. At worst, I think this gets painted as a poor investigation by the school itself

OK so technically he didn't play a down.  But did stay on scholarship for an additional ~13 months after the INDICTMENT.  This means that he was obviously still going to school for free, but it also means that he was working out with the team and effectively was still a member of the team.  And the defensive coordinator is on record only 2 months ago as saying that they expected him to play this Fall.  That absolutely falls on Briles.

I don't think Briles gets fired, but something smells really bad when a member of his team stayed on scholarship for over a year after the player was indicted for a violent crime, not to mention the incredibly inept initial investigation the school ran prior to the indictment.

#10 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

Too much history IMO for Baylor to not know the player's past.

I feel bad for the young lady who was raped, something that happens too frequently on college campuses (go hand and hand with binge drinking).

No trial would be needed if this happened to my daughter or one of my sons did something like this. :ninja:

Briles won't get fired, but the endowment is going to decrease by a couple of million.

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Okay, I didn't realize he stayed on scholarship following the indictment. Of course that's wrong, but as dirty as it sounds, I still don't think it changes my opinion on the outcome. Briles lives to fight another day and they whole thing gets chalked up to a shoddy investigation. And, hey, we're talking about college football, maybe the most corrupt institution in the country that isn't in and of itself illegal. Briles probably has bigger skeletons in his closet than this.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

....It is possible and I do believe that it will lead to some stiff punishment, it could lead very likely to the coach and AD being asked to resign; and even the impeachment of Ken Starr......Of course, should it lead eventually to the unraveling of the Big 12, then it could put TCU in jeopardy once again.

The Big 12 is very good for Fort Worth/North Texas.  It has got to hold together, particularly for TCU.  As previously stated, the news out of Waco is going from bad to worse; such that the situation really bares watching.

http://www.fortworth...3cc7910a3e.html

For certain, the Big 12 wants and needs a team in the Metroplex; and it could become necessary for the City and the hometown corporate forces (BNSF, AA, Lockheed, etc) to be active in stating the case for TCU.  It can be argued that a successful athletic program has generated momentum for TCU to expand its footprint within the city such as a Medical School and an expanding Berry Street Initiative.

This is really not a knock on Baylor; I really hate this for them. Its about the economic impact of major collegiate sports to a town.

#13 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

Re: Baylor - things didn't turn out the way many expected. My only heartbreak is for the victims.

Re: The Big XII - not convinced of it's long-term prospects. I don't think the administrations of either Texas or OU will put the interests of the conference or the other schools before what they see as what's best for their respective universities. The conference would not likely last without both of those teams.

Re: TCU - If they continue to play at the level they are now, I think they'll be invited to a relevant conference if the Big XII unravels. If that happens, where would you like to see them? Just keep winning, baby. #gofrogs.

Re: UT - looking forward to seeing what that young team does this year. Here's hoping the new offensive system gels quickly. I liked Coach Strong at Louisville and I hope he has years of success in Austin. I love the type of players he's brought in. #hookem

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

I can imagine technology will increase the way that viewers access entertainment and will reduce traditional tv/cable view numbers. Subsequently, there will be increase demand for an expansion of the CFP to get more teams/fans involved.

My hope is that the Big12 will just remain pat until the CFP expands from four team slots to 8 team slots.  At the end of current TV contracts, a new system will give each of the five power conferences a guaranteed slot and will give three non-power conferences or at large teams a slot.

#15 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Re: TCU - If they continue to play at the level they are now, I think they'll be invited to a relevant conference if the Big XII unravels. If that happens, where would you like to see them? Just keep winning, baby. #gofrogs.

I agree with this.  There have been many times when conference realignment talk has caused me stress, but now I firmly believe that TCU has put itself in a position to be part of the "haves" whenever the "have nots" are culled from the herd.  

#16 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

I watched BYUTV just today. I am a TCU fan for the record. But they had a sports program and they talked about how BYU fits the need for a expansion into the Big12. Several BYU pundits were beside themselves and salivating to join. One even said that "religion" may be the cause if they are not invited. BYU and TCU were in the same conference not long ago. They even said BYU may only get a football only invite. But BYU must understand the Big12 in my opinion is still on shaky ground. Big12 itself almost died not long ago. TCU joined the Big East for a few weeks before they also jumped into the Big 12. In my opinion I rather keep the conference from Texas to the upper plains. I also get "stress" as Jimmy says about conference adding or deleting schools.

I

#17 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

Texas should swallow some pride and promise to play nice with Nebraska & Colorado and ask them to come back with BYU & Houston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users