RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Fort Worth Alliance Airport (AFW) approves contract for runway extension:

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article30320979.html 

This project has been in preparation phases for many years. The main runway will be extended from 9600 to 11000 feet (2880 to 3300 m) in order to be able to handle the largest commercial cargo planes. This has been a pretty big project and has involved buying up lots of adjacent land and diverting a major rail line and a state highway, FM 156. There was also a lot of dirt moved around to build the base for the future runways, and more of that needs to be done before paving starts. There are the usual bureaucratic hitches for multi-year projects inevitable under our federal funding system, but the extension is slated to be ready in about 3 years. This should probably be good for business at Alliance, which still has space in the former AA maintenance facility to lease as well as plenty of vacant land with runway access available for new facilities.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

I'm curious what sort of planes and operators will be using the extended runway. Most of what Alliance handles is regional/general aviation planes. Alliance already handles some pretty large cargo planes, FedEx A300's, MD-11's, etc. It seems that a larger runway would really only be benefical to flying in only the largest of large planes, 777's and 747's mostly. I guess there's enough of a market to land things like Korean or Eva Air cargo jets out there, perhaps?

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

I'm curious what sort of planes and operators will be using the extended runway. Most of what Alliance handles is regional/general aviation planes. Alliance already handles some pretty large cargo planes, FedEx A300's, MD-11's, etc. It seems that a larger runway would really only be benefical to flying in only the largest of large planes, 777's and 747's mostly. I guess there's enough of a market to land things like Korean or Eva Air cargo jets out there, perhaps?

AN-124

an-124-100_06_of_54.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

It can already handle them and does from time to time.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hmmm, maybe the AN-225?  It's the 124's freakin' BIG brother.

My blog: Doohickie

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Runway extension project at Alliance Airport finally gets underway. Goal: 11,000 feet x 2 for $61 million

http://www.star-tele...le39072471.html

#7 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

I just wonder sometimes......Does Fort Worth ever see the viablility in having their own version of Love Field?  That is before McKinney National starts flying commercial airlines out of Collin County in the coming 5 years?  Meacham would be great as it's close in and would serve all the great development (tourism and business)_ that is coming in the Trinity basin and Stockyards area.  Jet Blue single-handedly resurected Long Beach Int'l airport some years back by opening up service there which had been absent for some time. With SW's endless push for total monopoly control of Love Field other carriers might want to help FW (and themselves) by giving us a third choice.  You guys are always wailing about how FW gets screwed over by Dallas all the time, here's the chance to change that.  I don't want to hear about the lame ass Wright Amendment anymore either.  It should have never been in place--it hurt everybody and it's a joke that DFW 'needed protection.'  No what was actually the real effect was to lock in American at DFW and SW at Love so there is virtually no competition at either airport and we pay some of the highest air fares in the nation as a result.  Just remember, the McKinney folks are still planning on opening up that airport to the big boys and have only temporarily delayed that decision.  Perot owns much of the land around that airport as of course he totally controls Alliance.  We have to think longer term here. Fort Worth will ultimately be larger in population than Dallas since we can annex abd with the estimated 10+ million people in the DFW area we will need tis additional capacity.   We are a region and other similar-sized areas in the U.S. have 3-5 major airports--greater Los Angeles (6 if you add Lindberg in San Diego)  and South Florida (Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Sarasota-Bradenton, Tampa-St. Petersburg and SW Florida in Fort Meyers.)  All I'm saying is the dynamics are there and if the 10 gates that were removed from Love (stupid and short-sighted) are not replaced than Love is already almost maxed out in the number of flights it can operate under current regulations and restricition s (as in late-night flights).  I know there are real obstacles to be overcome but the ultimate benefit to Fort Worth will be more than worth it.  If it takes half a decade to get this going than so be it.  Everytime I drive my Meacham I think "What a waste of one of the city's greatest assets."  Maybe this can change.  End of rant! lol

#8 Citygeek

Citygeek

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

Sorry.  I should probably have put this on the Meacham thread. 

#9 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

Sorry.  I should probably have put this on the Meacham thread.

Yes, you should have. ;)
Never-the-less, the largest obstacle for Meacham becoming a second Love Field is its longest runway being a relatively short 7501 feet, with the second runway being a really short 4006 feet long. FYI: Love Field's two main runways are 8800 feet and 7752 feet long.
Boeing does build 737s for short runways as short as 1500 meters (around 5,000 feet), but the 4,000 feet runway would be too short for them. And that is a reliability problem some airlines will find difficult.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

Alliance building two new hangar for private planes:

http://www.star-tele...medium=facebook

I saw some great aerial shots of their runway extension construction a few weeks ago. It looks like it should be completed soon.

#11 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

I would love to see the airport construct a large Doppler radar dome on top of their cone-shaped control tower, and then use LED lighting (a la Arlington's Skymark Tower) to shine appropriate colors on the dome (think mint chocolate chip, orange sherbet, Neapolitan, etc.).  Never mind whether or not it's practical or even necessary, it just sounds fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users