• Please log in to reply
1001 replies to this topic

#851 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:44 AM

Just noted on my way to work this morning that on I-30 east-bound to downtown an over-highway sign reading "Dickie's Arena" and identifying the Exit Number, meaning the Montgomery Street exit.

#852 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

Just noted on my way to work this morning that on I-30 east-bound to downtown an over-highway sign reading "Dickie's Arena" and identifying the Exit Number, meaning the Montgomery Street exit.

I think the Dickie's Arena sign on east-bound I-30 lists exist 12A which is the University exit. My wife and I were discussing the oddity of that yesterday.

#853 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

I also noticed that. I guess they want people to come through the back to get to the arena for some reason.

#854 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

The crown on the Pioneer Tower is on full display and it looks at sharp! Ill try and snap some photos tomorrow. Anybody know when the rest of the scaffolding is set to come down?

#855 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

I think the Dickie's Arena sign on east-bound I-30 lists exist 12A which is the University exit. My wife and I were discussing the oddity of that yesterday.

The sign for Dickies Arena is also at the University exit on westbound (southbound) Chisholm Trail Parkway, rather than at the Montgomery exit.

#856 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Wait, there's an exit for University Drive on SB Chisholm Trail Parkway?!

I wish I had known that when I took the exit for University Drive on WB I-30 a few months ago.

(I knew it would be a tight turn, but I didn't realize you're supposed to practically come to a complete stop in the middle of a fast moving freeway before taking the exit.)

Someone (TXDOT?) ought to shut down the dangerous exit for University on WB I-30, and make people take the exit for University on SB Chisholm Trail Parkway instead.

-Dylan

#857 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:08 AM

I wish I had known that when I took the exit for University Drive on WB I-30 a few months ago.

(I knew it would be a tight turn, but I didn't realize you're supposed to practically come to a complete stop in the middle of a fast moving freeway before taking the exit.)

Someone (TXDOT?) ought to shut down the dangerous exit for University on WB I-30, and make people take the exit for University on SB Chisholm Trail Parkway instead.

Yes.  It's very clearly marked as the last free exit. And yes, the exit from WB I-30 isn't the best, but I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of an accident there.

My blog: Doohickie

#858 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:41 AM

The exit from I-30 is ridiculous, especially since the Montgomery exit is just a few feet away. Whoever designed that wasnt thinking at all.

#859 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

And yes, the exit from WB I-30 isn't the best, but I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of an accident there.

Traffic backs up from the signal onto the freeway when there are events in the area: TCU game days, Stock Show, school field trip season, I'm sure it will happen more often when people use University to get to the arena.  Expansion of I-30 west of downtown is in the very early planning stages and I've heard that eliminating that cloverleaf ramp in favor of the ramp from CTP is being considered.  

#860 chmartin79

chmartin79

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:20 AM

Yes.  It's very clearly marked as the last free exit. And yes, the exit from WB I-30 isn't the best, but I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of an accident there.

About two years ago I was about to exit Montgomery to go home and noticed a tragic accident had just occurred at that University exit turn.  The driver had overshot the exit and plowed straight into the light poll(that has happened multiple times actually as you can see all the marks on that base).  Those light polls off that exit have a cement base that is about 3 feet high and easily 6 feet in circumference.  I, and a few others, immediately pulled over to help.  The car was a 4 door sedan and the driver and passenger luckily were seat belted in.  The passenger was knocked out cold from the air bag impact. Upon first arrival, we thought she had passed.  The driver had lost all his front teeth in the impact.  The people in the back seat weren't buckled in.  One was ejected thru the windshield and had a compound fracture in his leg and a huge gash on his head from the windshield.  The other occupant in the back fared the best, as she had broken ankle and that was about it.  That exit is one of the most accident prone ones out there as people continually don't make that turn in time and slide into something.

#861 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

Wrecks happen there almost weekly--it is a high accident area for the FWPD

#862 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Now that we have discussed all that, it is probably exactly why they are directing the traffic to the other exit, to avoid the backups and the dangerous situations they cause.

#863 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Dairy Queen closed officially and sold for development. Anyone know who the developer is or what they plan to build? Prime location, Ive been waiting for when this DQ would close.

#864 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

The owners address is the same office as Mazur Capital. If paired with the empty former condos block to the immediate West of DQ there's a fairly big site there.

Mazur also owns the entire block in West 7th bound by University, Morton, Bledsoe and Norwood where a Westin hotel was once proposed. 

Edit: Mazur has owned the property since 2018 anyway. IDK if they sold it again.

#865 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

Mazur Capital looks in every way to produce exciting results;  I suspect that it will set a high bar for other developments along Montgomery.  I would be surprised if Mazur Capital disappoints us.

#866 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

John posted in another thread that Dickies Arena is hosting a grand opening celebration on Saturday, October 26.

The ribbon cutting will be at 10:00am, and those who reserve a tour through Ticketmaster will be able to tour the arena.

https://dickiesarena...ity-open-house/

-Dylan

#867 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

On another note, I walked around the arena after watching the Amon Carter play last night. The arena and its lights are absolutely beautiful in person.

-Dylan

#868 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

I forgot to mention on here a couple of weeks back that I was not aware of the spires that are on the entrance columns.  I think they add a really nice finishing touch that was a pleasant surprise.  

#869 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

Pioneer Tower is Fort Worth's iconic "Eiffel Tower".

I wish that DMS would cease putting his own interpretation of the tower on multiple projects that he is involved with across America;  and most notably in the WRMC where it is least appropriate.  IMO there is no need to insult the original tower by juxtaposing it with a pair of cheap reproductions. 

How iconic is the tower?

http://problogic.wor...merican-cities/

I forgot to mention on here a couple of weeks back that I was not aware of the spires that are on the entrance columns.  I think they add a really nice finishing touch that was a pleasant surprise.  

As one can read, my feelings about Pioneer Tower was made clear more than 5 years ago.

I would not think that it is appropriate to throw in two xeroxes of PT for adornment to the new arena.  The twin towers stand a chance of being judged unkindly by critics for falling far short of the majesty of the PT. What really is the utility of the towers?  And yes,  I would have found it equally inappropriate had Renzo xeroxed the Kimball Arch in his design of the Kimball Museum addition. Wisely, Renzo understood the perils of copying something so recognizable as the Kimball.

Unfortunately, David M Schwarz has taken our Pioneer Tower and included cheap replications of it in his design of buildings in Las Vegas and elsewhere which has the effect making it mundane.  DMSA does routinely like a to employ a cookie cutter template in his designs.  I think brilliant architecture should thrive to be original.   

Beyond the inclusion of the mini towers as a pair of trinkets, Dickies Arena is already a remarkable addition for the City.

#870 pilgrim

pilgrim

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

For me I don't care so much about the inside baseball of architectural innovation as much as I do about lasting styles.  Pioneer Tower and Dickies Arena are lasting styles.  I like the compliment -whether borrowed or overly derivative- of mini-echoed Pioneer Towers on Dickies.  But more than that, what I'd like to see is a signature tower in America's severely under-rated downtown that dad-gum near copies the existing Pioneer tower, with its brick, stone, metal, and glass glory, to shine even more among the 450 plus towers of mirrors around it (assuming it's placed on John Roberts' preferred signature tower location).  :-)

#871 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

Dickie's Arena really is an attractive building.

It appears to be contemporary with the Will Rogers complex which makes it kind of timeless. 

#872 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

John posted in another thread that Dickies Arena is hosting a grand opening celebration on Saturday, October 26.

The ribbon cutting will be at 10:00am, and those who reserve a tour through Ticketmaster will be able to tour the arena.

https://dickiesarena...ity-open-house/

Just booked my tickets for 10:30.

If anyone see a couple pushing an almost 2yr old in a stroller and you wanna say hi, feel free to flag us down.

#873 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

I booked mine for 10:30 too!

Also, Dickies just announced a Kpop concert. I guess that's kinda becoming our thing here in Fort Worth now.

#874 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

Booked for 10:30 as well.   Will look out for your stroller Viking

#875 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

You can be sure that will be the last ticket you buy for Dickies arena thru Ticketmaster that doesn't extort you for ridiculous fees.

#876 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

I bought 4 $20 tickets for a show at Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie last fall and the fees added up to $60.  That's a 75% markup for those playing along at home.

#877 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

I wanted to attend the Black Keys show in November but the fees were madding! 

Two $100 tickets came to $255 after fees. (25% markup on fees alone)

Two $150 tickets came to $385 after fees. (28% markup on fees alone)

at that point, what would have been a splurge simply became unstomachable. :cry:

#878 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

We went to a show at Toyota Music Factory in June and found similar fees.  I thought there was a big effort years ago to include all fees in the total ticket price like airlines.

#879 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

I wanted to attend the Black Keys show in November but the fees were madding! 

Two $100 tickets came to $255 after fees. (25% markup on fees alone)

Two $150 tickets came to $385 after fees. (28% markup on fees alone)

at that point, what would have been a splurge simply became unstomachable. :cry:

Same thing happened to me.  I like both groups but I don't like them that much

#880 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Looks like we all booked the 10:30 slot. :) I booked the 10:30 slot since I intend to record the 10:00am opening speeches and ribbon cutting.

We should have a forum meetup for this grand opening... perhaps a forum lunch at noon.

-Dylan

#881 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:48 PM

Dylan, you should organize this event!  I will be there at the ribbon cutting and I will hang around until my 10:30 entry time.  I am also willing to meet other forum members for lunch.

#882 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

The website says they will be offering "food and beverage options" at a "discounted rate."

I'm wondering if there's a time limit to explore the arena (since entry times are staggered). If not, perhaps lunch could be concession food.

Would y'all rather eat at the arena or at a nearby restaurant?

-Dylan

#883 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:44 AM

We really don't know how they are going to handle the event.  I would hope there would not be a time limit to take a look at the facility.  As for lunch, I'm flexible.

#884 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

How about Taco Heads?

#885 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:54 AM

Exterior murals unveiled: https://dfw.cbslocal...unveils-murals/

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

#886 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:28 AM

They look very nice.

#887 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

Signs being installed today. With a helicopter. 

Final touches!

#888 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

I'm going to be at a meeting, but I don't know if I will have enough time to stop by to take photographs.  I'm on some deadlines at work, and I will not have much spare time until after the end of the month.

#889 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

A very nice article about the architecture and interior design at the arena, featuring an interview with our very own John Roberts. Cool to see how well the designers thought out all the details.

https://www.star-tel...e236211493.html

#890 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for posting the article.  Even if I had not been interviewed, I would have commented that it was well done.

#891 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Apparently, Dickies Arena is going to have smoked barbeque and a bunch of other food besides standard concession food.

Since I'm going to want to stay for a while and get lots of footage (there appears to be no time limit), and they're offering a bunch of unusual food options, I'm thinking we should have lunch there.

https://www.star-tel...e236496703.html

---------------

Fort Worth Forum Meeting at Dickies Arena: Saturday, October 26 at Noon.

We'll meet at the lower level of the Reliant Club (South Club), since it appears they have seating with tables there.

If the above location is not open to the public, the upper rows of Section 125 will be the backup.

-Dylan

#892 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

I got to tour the building yesterday. It's really quite great. I'm sure there will be plenty more media coverage. 

Here's some thoughts that I don't think will be talked about much,

The patio space is interesting. I hope they do a lot to activate it frequently. It will be dead 90% of the time, since it's elevated and walled and perhaps won't even be open to the public outside events. Nice view of the skyline though. 

Love the size of the concourses. Always my biggest AAC complaint was that it gets really crowded. Dickies is also designed to have security vestibules, which AAC does not have. 

Speaking of AAC, it's very familiar. I actually got to go to both arenas yesterday (Dickies in morning, AAC for Stars game at night) so it was fun to compare. Dickies is notably smaller but fit and finish are likely better. 

I am saddened that the experience outside the arena will not be as good as the AAC. I usually arrive by train and there's always big crowds which is fun. And the surrounding restaurants and bars in the Victory Park area are a great addition. Again, the plaza area has potential but will be very temporary.

The hallways have short cut out sections that allow guests to see into the bowl while walking around the building which I think is a great touch. I expect it will feel very "alive" during events

The screen is great. They did mention it's 2nd to Little Ceasers in size as a continues board, but I'd argue we could be #1 as Little Ceasers is not truly continuous and has 90 degree angles at the corners that read as 4 separate but bezeless screens

The roof steals the show. If the building had a flat roof above the top row of seats, the building would probably feel pretty small. Instead, the top row of seats is barely halfway up the entire building. It's absolutely huge and is an awesome homage to the original coliseum.

Also, there's a new park being built S of the Cowgirl HoF. Nice little extra bit of greenspace. I think it was mentioned that it's named for Alice Walton who lives in the area.

#893 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

2020 U.S. gymnastics Championship was just announced. Big get.

#894 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

My wife and kid will be ecstatic.  They went to the NCAA championship at the convention center last year and loved it.  This will be the last tune up event prior to the Olympic trials, so I would expect the big names like Simone Biles to show up.

#895 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

2020 U.S. gymnastics Championship was just announced. Big get.

This is exactly what DA can become; not a home for professional sports, but a place where Fort Worth can bid for all kinds of events without being limited by the needs of a professional sporting season.

And yes, it will be such a thrill for the young girls and boys around town.

#896 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

I agree.  As upset as some people are about the arena being under sized for a longshot major professional sports tenant, there are any number of events that can keep the building filled and that is only helped by having flexible availability.

The gymnastics championship will likely get network prime time play on NBC since it's in the run up to the Olympics, although some of it would likely be on tape delay if I'm reading the schedule right.  Senior level women go on Sunday afternoon and that might get live coverage since they are the big draw.

#897 chmartin79

chmartin79

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

With all of these events coming, surely some eateries and other things would be coming to Montgomery soon?

#898 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,453 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

The FW Weekly has a review of the building in this week's issue.  It is available online, and the review was written by James Russell.

https://www.fwweekly...-dickies-arena/

#899 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

With all of these events coming, surely some eateries and other things would be coming to Montgomery soon?

I expect that once the construction on Montgomery is complete, they will come.

#900 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

Book ended at either end of Montgomery, there already exists a McDonald and Whataburger/Taco Bell.  I hope what comes is not more chain eateries. Chains of $500k to $1,000,000 franchisees continue to smother entrepreneurial energy.

It would be interesting if the City incentivized the incubation of Fort Worth start up of creative local eateries and coffee (cafes) over conglomerates so that Montgomery could be a corridor where local foods are highlighted.

A kind of linear food court of local eateries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users