• JBB likes this

#52 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Dallas' Big D NYE is cancelled for the second year in a row, and CBS 11 is not covering Sundance Square this year.

New Orleans says they're hosting CNN and ABC for national coverage of the central time countdown. MSNBC and FOX News won't be doing anything for the central time zone.

Central time countdowns:

FOX 4: Miami (Pit Bull) - one hour delay

NBC 5: Chicago - LIVE

WFAA-8: New Orleans - LIVE

CBS 11: Not covering New Year's Eve this year.

-------

CNN: New Orleans - LIVE

WFAA (ABC) and NBC 5 will have New York City at 11:00.

http://www.star-tele...e123538629.html

http://www.nola.com/...w_years_ev.html

• JBB likes this

- Dylan

#53 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

No Big D NYE, but Reunion Tower is hosting a fireworks display and promoting places around downtown to watch. No live TV coverage that I've heard about. You can watch it on their Facebook page.

#54 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

No one's covering FW? Disappointing.

#55 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

I don't blame them. I can't imagine that the ratings and the advertising revenue makes the local broadcasts worth the production costs, especially without a big name sponsor.  There's just too much competition.  

#56 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

No one's covering FW? Disappointing.

I don't blame them. I can't imagine that the ratings and the advertising revenue makes the local broadcasts worth the production costs, especially without a big name sponsor. .... 

Yes it is disappointing.  I should think that it is newsworthy.

I also wonder why DFWInc. is not willing to be a sponsor; it is, after all, a commercial success for lots of downtown businesses.

#57 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

Seemed like the crowd was definitely more well attended this year. I didn't go last year but more people than 14/15 for sure. The fireworks show seemed a bit longer which was nice. Traffic was pretty insane, I don't know how much it would help to have busses and TRE running but it was crowded with cars and people. Fun times.

#58 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

I've never heard as much gunfire as I did last night around midnight. Went on for around an hour. Easily distinguished from fireworks. FWPD had tweeted earlier in the day about the prohibition on discharging firearms. Obviously no capability to enforce these laws.

#59 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Many people with guns are insanely irresponsible.

#60 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

We made it home just a few minutes after midnight (the get together we went to was a mile or so away) and this is the first time in years that we haven't heard an abundance of fireworks in our neighborhood.  None, actually.  Which is strange because we typically experience far more illegal fireworks on NYE than July 4th.

#61 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I did like CBS11 coverage last year in Sundance. But I hated that BigD NYE was shown over Dick Clark's in past years. But now I watch CNN NYE coverage the best. Poor Anderson Cooper lol.

Victory park is so darn boring and the layout is not something that is inviting especially on TV. Time Square coverage looks fun just to watch even from home. I hope maybe when the north end of the Convention Center is redone. Some sort of Iconic tower or spear to bookend that end of Main street. And maybe make a ball drop of our own every new year ? You can have several music venues up and down Main street like they have during the Arts festival.

I think people would love a Main Street NYE party. As ESPN said it best. They notice that there was people and activity on a normal weekday evening when they were looking for a coverage site for the Super Bowl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users