• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 David_H

David_H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

Quite the makeover. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished, with the two residential units next door.

#52 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

I'm a little disappointed, it would've been cool to see 3 different eras of architecture on one block. But it's is definitely an improvement.

#53 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

I think it is actually reducing the number of rooms (just a little bit) but no doubt will be an improvement over the previous form and function. 

What's the latest on the thin high rise hotel that someone (I think Austin 55?) posted?  Want to say it is around 8th & Houston Streets.   Had a Marriott (Residence?) flag on it. 

WE NEED MORE GOOD (AND ESPECIALLY INTERESTING) HOTEL ROOMS DOWNTOWN AND IN THE CULTURAL DISTRICT. 

• JBB likes this

#54 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

I think it is actually reducing the number of rooms (just a little bit) but no doubt will be an improvement over the previous form and function. 

What's the latest on the thin high rise hotel that someone (I think Austin 55?) posted?  Want to say it is around 8th & Houston Streets.   Had a Marriott (Residence?) flag on it. 

WE NEED MORE GOOD (AND ESPECIALLY INTERESTING) HOTEL ROOMS DOWNTOWN AND IN THE CULTURAL DISTRICT. 

The new skinny Marriott is still just a drawing on paper at this point. No real announcements yet.

As for the hotels in the Cultural District, you still have that unused land (being used as a parking lot now, but still...) that West 7th is supposed to use as one and that strip mall on the main intersection that could be replaced... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#55 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Here is a handy guide to all known (and some unkown) hotel proposals for downtown. 

https://docs.google....66qVLOU/pubhtml

#56 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

Here is a handy guide to all known (and some unkown) hotel proposals for downtown.

Excellent production.  Thanks for making it much easier to follow all of the exciting hospitality developments. :)  :)

#57 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:31 PM

Excellent work, Austin.  However, you have a misspelled word.  The word "relevant" has the "e" and the "a" transposed.

#58 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

The old Park Central motel is fenced off and undergoing renovations now, so its status can be changed to "construction."

- Dylan

#59 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

Just thinking.  The latest count for boutique hotels is now four:  Stockyards Hotel (existing); Museum Place (in planning/design); Near South/Magnolia (in planning/design) and Sundance Square (proposed).

How very exciting. :wub:

Excuse my oversight, the Ashton (existing)  should be included among this group of hotels.

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

Rumor is on the street that the Fairfield Inn & Suites will open in about two weeks.  Below is a photograph of the renovation, and nearly finished product.

37269409055_552be1328d_h.jpgparkcentral2 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#61 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

The architecture has very nice textural face.  Its as though there are multiple buildings to the block.  The Butch Cassidy Statue will become an instant photo shop.

#62 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

The architecture has very nice textural face.  Its as though there are multiple buildings to the block.  The Butch Cassidy Statue will become an instant photo shop.

I agree. I had some friends in town and we stopped by the Wild Bunch statue and they were in instagram heaven. I wish there was some way to incorporate the plaza on 9th & Throckmorton better so that it becomes a gathering place. Does anyone know if Fairfield will have a restaurant on the plaza?

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

I tried looking in the windows today, and I couldn't see much.  I did notice the doors on Houston appear to align with the doors (or windows) on Throckmorton.  There is some kind of open space on that Throckmorton end of the building, but I really couldn't tell about the function.

#64 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yesterday, after the walking tour, I went inside to take a look.  The interior is a big improvement over the incredibly small lobby of the old Park Central.  The restaurant dining room is still there on the west side of the building, but they are only serving continental breakfasts.  The lobby does have a nice bar taking up the middle of the first floor.

#65 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

This property owned by the City could make a nice boutique hotel/residence. Its located just two blocks west of the Convention Center. Check out its lobby!

http://www.fortworth...ure.com/lsg.jpg

http://www.fortworth...m/lsg-lobby.jpg

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Where would you propose to move the Water Department and the other offices that are in the building?  There is also a movement to restore the sign, which is landmarked along with the building.

#67 A_Random_Username

A_Random_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

Where would you propose to move the Water Department and the other offices that are in the building?  There is also a movement to restore the sign, which is landmarked along with the building.

the T & P warehouse.

I jest. Im sure there is ample places the depts could move into and use. theres a building down the block from my employer thats not use. its an unused building thats 2-3 stories (cant get in, tresspassing and all...) right across from the The Houston Lofts, 9th and houston. 

#68 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

I need help recalling the decision, but I thought that the GSA Service Center was offered to the City to build support facilities?

Move the Water Department and many other departments to the Felix-Hemphill-James Street Yard. 

The City holding onto property within Downtown which can be supplied to free market development is a much better use of these properties than public use.

The 908 Monroe is just too valuable to be use for the City's bureaucracy.

#69 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

This property owned by the City could make a nice boutique hotel/residence. Its located just two blocks west of the Convention Center. Check out its lobby!

http://www.fortworth...ure.com/lsg.jpg

http://www.fortworth...m/lsg-lobby.jpg

Wow I have not been inside in over 30 years. Stunning to say the least. But I say why not just leave well enough alone. Why can't office workers enjoy working at a lovely place like this ? Even if most people pay the water bill online or by phone nowadays . At least the general public can still enjoy this place if they have water business. Who says office workers have to be confined to cubicles ? I'm thinking like the 1999 comedy "Office Space"   

#70 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

....(1) Even if most people pay the water bill online or by phone nowadays . At least the general public can still enjoy this place if they have water business.

(2) Who says office workers have to be confined to cubicles ?

Technology is replacing "in person"  customer service demand; and sure the general public will enjoy the place for its beauty; but these are more arguments for the building to be used to generate private sector jobs in the hospitality-restaurant-convention business that would generate a 5:1 ratio of jobs created as oppose to the 1:1 job created by a public servant.

I appreciate the work of public employees; I think that where there are instances when the local economy can be boosted, accommodating the public sector ought to be secondary when feasible.

I would venture that if 908 Monroe was offered for redevelopment as a potential hotel or residential property, it would be quickly -  no light-speed sold.

#71 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

If they moved anywhere, I'd hope they wouldn't leave downtown. I definitely don't support the blanket removal of city offices from downtown for private redevelopment opportunities. Maintaining civic function in the walkable heart of the city is important, IMHO.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#72 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

I'd rather the city sell off the parking lot(s) immediately to the south.

#73 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

I'd rather the city sell off the parking lot(s) immediately to the south.

Yeah, but there is already a surplus of parking lots in Downtown; and these City Hall parking lots would not be that attractive as they are not currently in a hotly sought of area of Downtown. In the defense of these surface parking lots, they do provide the parking for those doing business in City Hall.

908 Monroe is city owned real estate that would attract development from the hotel/residential industry.  Many hotel developers have indicated that they are looking for opportunities in Downtown but are finding those opportunities to be difficult to come by.  

It would seem to me that the City could cash in on this demand for its treasury and while also helping the local economy with new private service jobs, hotel taxes and tourism dollars.

#74 tcecil

tcecil

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:09 AM

By the way, I'm not around it frequently enough to know if this is normal activity, but I noticed two utility trucks outside the T&P warehouse on Monday afternoon.  A couple of the loading dock doors on the Lancaster side were open.  I saw maybe three workers attending to assorted industrial tasks, none of which I could identify.  But I wonder if some activity is better than no activity.

#75 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

There is a specific thread on the T&P Warehouse.  It can be found here: http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=4259

The city is forcing the owner to bring the building up to minimum building standards for a vacant structure.  They have taken their time in doing this and the city has extended their deadline to complete this work.  My guess is that once the work is complete, and the city is satisfied, the workers will disappear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users