#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Yes, it is hard to believe.  However, if you do a little digging, there is quite a bit of evidence to support it.  It's unfortunate that I don't remember the old Biltmore Garage and the construction of the hotel on top of it.  I was actually already interested in architecture and construction when I was a kid. I was born in 1957, and I remember going to some of the stores and shops with my family when they were open before the buildings were demolished to build the Convention Center.   The center opened in 1968 and I do remember seeing the old buildings come down and the center go up.  However, I had to be driven downtown, and all of the retail was at the north end, so I can't say how often I had a chance to see the Convention Center construction.  The Hilton Annex also opened in 1968.  It might have been that the Convention Center construction was so impressive that I didn't pay any attention to the Hilton Annex going up on top of the old garage. 

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

At one time recently, I was going to start a thread about the buildings that were designed to have more floors added on top with a description of their current fate.  Maybe, I will do that soon.

Now, I'm getting back to finding historical information that the structure to the Biltmore Garage is under the Hilton Hotel Annex.  My first clue is that several references to the building had been made that it was built on top of an old garage.  Here's how I found out.  When a multi-story building is built, they obviously can't erect a column that is all one piece of steel or one pour of concrete.  The columns have to be spliced together in steel and each floor poured separately with concrete.  In both cases, the structure is spliced where the forces are the lowest.  In a multi-story building, that location is slightly above the beam or slab line of a floor.  Therefore, a building that is designed to have more floors added to it will have the structure of the building protruding above the roof line.  If you look at www.historicaerials.com, you can see buildings that have their structural grid extending beyond the roof.  Those buildings were designed to have more floors added on top. Over the course of history in Fort Worth, the buildings with concrete structure usually had the added floors framed in steel.  There are also a couple of other photos in the UTA Collection that give a view of the roof of the Biltmore Garage.  It was clearly designed to have more floors added on top.

The one unique thing about the Biltmore was that the interior circular ramp had columns around its sides that went entirely through the building.  When the developers released the renovation plans, they show the parking garage plans and the upper floor plans.  The column grid of the lower levels match up to the aerial photographs before the addition and the ramp is in the same location.  Another clue is to look at the historic photograph that I linked to earlier.  From along the street faces at the first floor you can count the column bays and they match up on both the Commerce Street side and on 8th Street.  It's pretty clear from the old photographs that the exterior columns go all the way up, but if you look at the south wall of the current building, after the first floor the column grid shifts.  If you look through the grille on the facade, you can see the columns on 8th Street actually are set inside the garage and they align with the ones on the first floor.  Also, if you look at the south elevation, you can see the upper floors of the garage are framed in steel, not concrete, like the first floor.  As for how many floors the garage was originally designed, it is hard to tell.  Automobiles weigh more than hotel furniture, so I'm sure they added more floors to the building than what was planned for a garage.  Another thing to consider is that back in the 1920's the concrete buildings tended to be over designed.  Also, it appears from the facade that the original building was built at three stories and a fourth floor was added sometime later, with more originally planned.  Ultimately, the building became five levels of garage with eight floors of hotel rooms above.

#53 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

That's a nice-looking parking garage! What a shame it was ruined.

- Dylan

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:16 PM

It was built in 1928 and it was designed by Fort Worth Architect, Wiley G. Clarkson.  Clarkson designed the Sinclair Building (1930), First Methodist Church (1930), and the Masonic Temple (1931), just to name a few. 

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

Golly, John, that building looks like it was used in one of the old B&W Superman serials!

/Jimmy Olsen

My blog: Doohickie

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Seems like this is finally moving forward. 

CsGBo__WAAAq653.jpg

Extra supports for the granite wall on the ground floor which had started to slide off

CsGBqJnWcAAv86b.jpg

#57 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

I had noticed the work at the Sinclair Building, but I did not see any activity when I was on Commerce Street earlier in the week.  It is good to know that they have started.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Some of the windows have been removed, so they are making progress on the building.

#59 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

The granite was coming off the walls???!!!  :eek:

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

Yes, it was starting to slip off.  Austin and I had noticed that back in May when we were walking around downtown together.  One of the Mid-Century Modern office buildings in Downtown Dallas had the same problems a few years back.

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

There is going to be a construction elevator in the center of the south wall.  It was being erected today.

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

Unfortunately, the annex bacame a hideous eyesore during its previous renovation, and will remain so after this renovation.

New rendering I had'nt seen, shows the upper floors a bit more and how they relate to the garage levels. It is a bit small though. You can also see the lighting strips at the top left. 

XQ9uuJc.jpg

Edit-Higher Res

TJTVC9G.jpg

"PAS, would you reconsider after seeing these renderings?"

#63 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

Nope. I'd say it's lipstick on a pig, but that'd be offensive to pigs.

- Dylan

#64 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

Considering the era it was built and what style that building is, I'd say there's no need to call it lipstick on a pig. This is the BEST they can do with the Annex as far as making it look "presentable". 2nd best option is demolition. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#65 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

It's going to look better than it does now, but that's a pretty low bar to get over.

df77532bbf05f4059dae477d65ea8a24.jpg

#66 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

I believe, when it is completed,  we will then have the chance to pronounce final judgement.  The garage treatment, as rendered,  already presents a better facade than Cowtown Park Plaza in my judgement.

#67 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:17 AM

I believe, when it is completed,  we will then have the chance to pronounce final judgement.  The garage treatment, as rendered,  already presents a better facade than Cowtown Park Plaza in my judgement.

As I said in the past. Are they going to follow through of the renderings ? Are the bottom five floors going to glow ? Or as in many cases, cutback what was planned to squeeze out every penny ? How will it look during daylight ? That is what I am waiting for.

#68 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

As I said in the past. Are they going to follow through of the renderings ? Are the bottom five floors going to glow ? Or as in many cases, cutback what was planned to squeeze out every penny ? How will it look during daylight ? That is what I am waiting for.

I hope that your concerns are found to be unwarranted. 

What I like about this rendering for the immediate area is that it will add additional "nighttime light" to a section of Downtown that is dark comparatively to the 7th - 3rd Streets section.  There are a number of sections within Downtown that are in need of nighttime light and additional pedestrian activity.

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:54 PM

The more I have looked into this project and the renderings I am starting to really like this projcect and what it will do for this area downtown. I like the fact that ground floor retail is being included and the pool and patio area will be good for the residents.

Now we just need some of the parking lots in the area to be repurposed.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Actually, this building has a nice pedigree.  After doing a little bit of research, I discovered that the addition of the top 9 floors from the previous 4 story garage was designed by Preston M. Geren Associates. They also did the redesign of the lower four floors to match the addition on top.  Geren's firm designed Farrington Field, Arlington Heights High School, the Oil & Gas Building, the Landmark Tower, the Oncor Building (Originally Fort Worth National Bank), and all of its annexes and garages, including the Ballroom Addition to the Hilton Hotel, and 777 Main's Garage at 7th and Commerce.  Geren was also one of the five architectural firms that designed the original Convention Center.

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

From Lancaster TIF meeting agenda. 

A. Discussion and consideration of a resolution authorizing Amendment No. 1 to the TIF Economic Development Program Agreement with Hotel Texas Annex, LLC for the extension of the Completion Deadline.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Redevelopment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users