Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:16 AM

Zetna, that is the house.

#52 qmcgown

qmcgown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

The Cobb-Burney House at 1598 Sunset Terrace is likely the first Prairie Style residence built in Fort Worth. At this point, it's the earliest documented example. I spoke with the listing agent the other day who said he'd welcome any help in getting the word out about the property. So far, it has been marketed for the commercial dirt value, with little attention paid to the wide variety of uses that could work there. I think that is more a result of the agent's inexperience with historic and residential properties than any willful disregard for the wider potential.

The house, named West Cliff, was built for Lyman and Emma Cobb. Cobb was one of the brothers behind the Cobb Brick Company and Glen Garden Country Club, and he and his wife developed Sunset Terrace in its first phase starting in 1905. The research notes for the State marker include a reference that the house may have been built or adapted from plans published in an early sourcebook of the Prairie style. The house was owned later by Judge and Mrs. Ivey Burney and preservation architect Milton Mosely before being acquired as part of a gift of property for the All-Church Home. The house also served for a time as the home for the Goodrich Center for the Deaf. Its last residential use was as the home for a former All-Churtch Home director and his family. It served as an office space for various ACH affiliated programs until vacated in anticupation of the move to the former Masonic Home and School property.

The house needs more attention than it is currently getting. I think Historic Fort Worth would be welcomed as a helping hand, given the fact that neither the agent nor the owner are aware of the incentives available for adaptive reuse of the house and property. They are both new to working with historic structures. Whether or not the house returns to residential use or finds new life as a neighborhood compatible commercial facility, nothing can happen without wider exposure. Loss of this house would be a very sad one, indeed.

#53 jnewhart

jnewhart

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Preservation of historic architecture

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Quentin -

Do you have any contact information for the listing agent so that we at Historic Fort Worth can get in touch him?

Thanks!

Justin

#54 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

A tower crane went up today.

#55 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,674 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

I was going to post the same information when I got home.  Thanks for the update. 

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

C3MaklbUMAUvg8V.jpg

#57 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

This one is starting to peak over the trees and other buildings.  I'm curious to see what the finished product looks like from the west.

#58 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

JBB... I noticed the other night that it will have a decent impact on adding some height to Sunset terrace adding a decent impact. I think it will look better at night.

#59 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

This project is starting to be quite visible from the east as well.  Looking west from the intersection of S. Main and Vickery, for instance, the garage really looms large over I-30.

#60 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

The elevator overruns appear to be the tallest part of the buildings, but only barely. When the entire structure is up it will really be quite large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users