10 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

WELL since everyone else is doing this...

Here's #1. This is a 4 line light rail plan which runs almost entirely on existing tracks in order to not disrupt road traffic, with only 2 exceptions. This would also allow larger trains to be run. However, new tracks would ned to be layed in many places. The idea here was to connect some of the cities most important locations to each other, but also to run lines through underdeveloped and dilapidated areas to attempt to spur growth. Below is each line explained in more detail

The Red line runs west and is probably the least interesting and has the fewest stops, I'd imagine it may not be heavily trafficked and really would depend on the Success of Clear Fork. 

Red Line Stops-

-ITC
-T&P Station

-Midtown

-University Park

-Clearfork

The Purple line runs north to south is the only line to not connect to the ITC, but does offer several opportunities to transfer for downtown bound riders. It's primary stops are at TCU and the West 7th area (which I imagine would be highly trafficked by students). Except for an area on campus and about 1 mile where it would run on Berry St, the line completely follows tracks.

Purple Line Stops

-Campus Commons

-Bookstore

-Berry

-Cantey 

-Park Place

-Magnolia (Yellow Connector

-Midtown (Red Connector)

-Forest Park

-Montgomery Ward

-Panther Island

-N. Main

-Stockyards Station

The Green line completely follows existing tracks and runs East. This lines intention is to spur as much development and revitalization along the route as possible, as much of what as it runs through is rather dilapidated. More Stations could be added as desired.

Green line Stops

ITC
Near Eastside
Texas Wesleyan

Tierney & Rosedale

Handley 

The Yellow line Would probably be the most used line, running mostly north/south. Except for Magnolia, this line also completely follows existing tracks. Because of Baylor hospitals positioning at the end of Magnolia, I'm not sure the best way to connect this line to the purple line, perhaps a short quarter mile tunnel under the hospital. 

Yellow line stops

Baylor (Purple Transfer)

Magnolia & Hurley

Magnolia & Henderson

Magnolia & Hemphill

Magnolia & South Main

Rosedale

South Main

ITC

Sundance East

Rock Island

Samuals

Stockyards Station

Long & Grove

Meacham

Potential Issues

The Purple line would probably encroach on TexRail, but I basically designed this with the assumption that TexRail will never get past downtown and only serve as a downtown-DFWIA connector. 

It also bothers me that there is no direct connection between downtown and the Cultural district. This could be easily done with a streetcar down 7th or Camp Bowie. The Amon Carter is about 1 mile from the Montgomery Stop and is a pleasant walk or bike ride.

Further Expansion

The Yellow line could potentially run all the way to Dallas, passing through both downtown Arlington and Grand Prairie on the way. It runs very near by UTA, Arlington's entertainment district, The GM plant, Dallas Navy Station, and into Oak Cliff.

The Red and Purple lines could continue into Benbrook.

An extension of the Yellow line could run south to Crowley or Burleson

A new line could branch off the green line towards Mansfield

The Yellow or Purple lines could continue north, potentially connecting TMS, Alliance, and Denton

The all important map!

ySckwyv.png

#2 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

A few ideas for your long-range lines:

- Extend the red line to the JRB (there's an abandoned spur that goes north just past 183/SW Blvd).

- End the green line in Arlington. No need to have it go to Dallas since the TRE already does that.

- With your assumption of no TEX Rail southwest of downtown, spit the purple line in two at the red line, and have each of the two new lines start DT.

- Perhaps have the purple line go into Stockyards Station. People can't get to the Stockyards from your current Stockyards stop without a shuttle or massive bridge with lots of walking.

- Don't bother with TMS. It may be nice for fans like me to have an alternative to the traffic nightmare on race days, but unless you plan on building thousands of park and ride spots and running dozens of trains at the exact same time after the race, there's no way a line to TMS would be able to handle the capacity on race days. Keep in mind that TMS holds well over 100,000 people. Assuming only 10% take the train and 90% drive there, that's still over 10,000 people who will be heading there and back at the exact same time. Also, there are only three race weekends a year.

As far as the yellow line, the only way that will work is if you close Magnolia to vehicle traffic. Streetcars can't run on freight lines, and commuter rail trains don't run down streets.

- Dylan

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:58 PM

WELL since everyone else is doing this...

Here's #1. This is a 4 line light rail plan which runs almost entirely on existing tracks in order to not disrupt road traffic, with only 2 exceptions. This would also allow larger trains to be run. However, new tracks would ned to be layed in many places. The idea here was to connect some of the cities most important locations to each other, but also to run lines through underdeveloped and dilapidated areas to attempt to spur growth. Below is each line explained in more detail

The Red line runs west and is probably the least interesting and has the fewest stops, I'd imagine it may not be heavily trafficked and really would depend on the Success of Clear Fork. 

Red Line Stops-

-ITC
-T&P Station

-Midtown

-University Park

-Clearfork

The Purple line runs north to south is the only line to not connect to the ITC, but does offer several opportunities to transfer for downtown bound riders. It's primary stops are at TCU and the West 7th area (which I imagine would be highly trafficked by students). Except for an area on campus and about 1 mile where it would run on Berry St, the line completely follows tracks.

Purple Line Stops

-Campus Commons

-Bookstore

-Berry

-Cantey 

-Park Place

-Magnolia (Yellow Connector

-Midtown (Red Connector)

-Forest Park

-Montgomery Ward

-Panther Island

-N. Main

-Stockyards Station

The Green line completely follows existing tracks and runs East. This lines intention is to spur as much development and revitalization along the route as possible, as much of what as it runs through is rather dilapidated. More Stations could be added as desired.

Green line Stops

ITC
Near Eastside
Texas Wesleyan

Tierney & Rosedale

Handley 

The Yellow line Would probably be the most used line, running mostly north/south. Except for Magnolia, this line also completely follows existing tracks. Because of Baylor hospitals positioning at the end of Magnolia, I'm not sure the best way to connect this line to the purple line, perhaps a short quarter mile tunnel under the hospital. 

Yellow line stops

Baylor (Purple Transfer)

Magnolia & Hurley

Magnolia & Henderson

Magnolia & Hemphill

Magnolia & South Main

Rosedale

South Main

ITC

Sundance East

Rock Island

Samuals

Stockyards Station

Long & Grove

Meacham

Potential Issues

The Purple line would probably encroach on TexRail, but I basically designed this with the assumption that TexRail will never get past downtown and only serve as a downtown-DFWIA connector. 

It also bothers me that there is no direct connection between downtown and the Cultural district. This could be easily done with a streetcar down 7th or Camp Bowie. The Amon Carter is about 1 mile from the Montgomery Stop and is a pleasant walk or bike ride.

Further Expansion

The Yellow line could potentially run all the way to Dallas, passing through both downtown Arlington and Grand Prairie on the way. It runs very near by UTA, Arlington's entertainment district, The GM plant, Dallas Navy Station, and into Oak Cliff.

The Red and Purple lines could continue into Benbrook.

An extension of the Yellow line could run south to Crowley or Burleson

A new line could branch off the green line towards Mansfield

The Yellow or Purple lines could continue north, potentially connecting TMS, Alliance, and Denton

The all important map!

ySckwyv.png

Another good, thought out idea. 

Connects well to neighborhoods I didn't even think about. I do like how some of the lines are following already existing rail lines... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

^Jeriat-I wanted to make sure that cars would be disrupted as little as possible, in a car dominate city like FW I feel that is important, especially from the general publics perspective. It would also seem to me that these mostly empty freight corridors would be cheaper and much less disruptive to build on. 

A few ideas for your long-range lines:

- Extend the red line to the JRB (there's an abandoned spur that goes north just past 183/SW Blvd).

- End the green line in Arlington. No need to have it go to Dallas since the TRE already does that.

- With your assumption of no TEX Rail southwest of downtown, spit the purple line in two at the red line, and have each of the two new lines start DT.

- Perhaps have the purple line go into Stockyards Station. People can't get to the Stockyards from your current Stockyards stop without a shuttle or massive bridge with lots of walking.

- Don't bother with TMS.

As far as the yellow line, the only way that will work is if you close Magnolia to vehicle traffic. Streetcars can't run on freight lines, and commuter rail trains don't run down streets.

-I've made a mock-up of what that could look like below. I do wonder if using that line would ever happen as it passes through many residential areas, the residents would probably object. 

-The Green lines potential to go to Dallas is that it could also connect places like UTA and the entertainment district to Downtown Dallas. Such a thing would probably be better off as heavy rail. It wouldn't really overlap TRE coverage as it would mostly serve commuters in Arlington, the only overlap would be the Downtown Dallas-Downtown FW ride.  Either way I don't think that'd be needed served as light rail. I'll go further into this in a future post. 

-Where would the splits go?

-With the he way it is set up, the end of Exchange is about 1,000 feet away, and Main about half a mile. Not to far, but TexRail having a stockyards stop could be an issue, shown here, (The red shaded areas are areas where TOD could potentiall be developed)
QW94dLR.jpg

-Your point about Magnolia is something I wasn't sure about. I know very little about gauges and whatnot, but I wanted to follow existing corridors rather than existing tracks. I could see Magnolia being one of the few streets where no road traffic could actually be embraced, most of the parking access is of perpendicular streets anyway. On Berry, however it could be an issue. I was thinking something similar to the CapMetro station on 4th street in Austin. It also could pose an issue for another expansion, shown below.

Updated map

Here is something a newer one, with three additions, As PeopleAreStrange suggested, extending the red line to JRB/Lockheed and an extension I've made of the green line. It now goes straight West into the T&P station, goes behind the T&P warehouse and merges onto Lancaster from there, where it would continue on the roadway into the Museum District. This route is pretty much a tourist one, but could still serve UNT and parts of W7. Thirdly, A Blue line which would run from the ITC to La Gran Plaza.

5hVlBKi.png

#5 claxton

claxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Looks good. My only suggestions would be to first, use the purple line to extend up to Meacham Airport. Then, take the yellow line and have it cross over to the east of 35 at some point. I think it would be a big benefit to folks that work in the Mercantile Plaza development at 35 and Meacham.

#6 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

Your stockyards idea may create TOD, but that's a very long walk for those headed to the stockyards. I was thinking this spur:

https://maps.google....021136&t=h&z=16

As far as splitting the purple line at the red line, I meant create two new lines, and have each of the lines fillow the red line to downtown.

Looking better.

- Dylan

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:32 AM

All that said, I could see a streetcar line "snaking" from Downtown west along 5th, crossing the Trinity in a dedicated bridge connecting to westside 5th St. at the Left Bank Project and continuing across the Montgomery Plaza development and on to Currie St., where it would turn south through the new developments there, and then west onto Lancaster just west of the Trinity bridge approach. There is plenty of room on the south south side of Lancaster to widen the street to allow for safe streetcar/LR ROW all the way to Camp Bowie, where the line could run down the median all the way to Ridglea. 

A branch line could depart at Gendy Street and head south a few blocks to provide weekend service to gun shows, concerts and whizbangs at WRMC, Stock Show season attractions, and future events at the future Bass-Rogers Rodeo Show Arena. 

OK, so my idea doesn't go down 7th St. But it also doesn't screw up the traffic there much, other than crossing 7th at Currie. 7th Street is a major west-side artery, and traffic there into and out of downtown can be testy as it is; more development in the area is going to only add to the congestion. "Completing the grid" wherever possible will help local traffic by providing alternative routes, and better facilities for pedestrians and bikes will go a step further in this regard. I think the main thing is that streetcars are not tying up traffic at the Camp Bowie/University/7th intersection using this alignment, and the trains would help to encourage dense development along under-developed blocks of 5th St. while serving new dense development along Currie. 

RD-Took your ideas and illustrated them, with a couple of my own ideas. 

-Instead of Currie- I snaked the line down Foch. This street may be less dense ,but a streetcar could come underneath the Lancaster Ave. Bridge and not have any impact of Lancaster traffic at all. 

-Instead of 5th in downtown I used 4th, for two reasons. 1, the open side of Sundance Plaza is on 4th, and transit could use the plaza as a launchpad 2, 4th does'nt dead end into 287 and can be used to continue the line NE, as I've done below. This connects Hillside and the large area between 35 and the Trinity which is ripe for a Left bank style development.

elvdYXU.jpg

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

Got bored on the plane back from Portland, loved the rail there so much made a map for my system from post #4

8SoJUvD.jpg

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

Subway map where all the stations are subway restaurants. 

Cu68vLVUkAA8v2t.jpg

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

The fact that you could ride that stretch of 7th and Camp Bowie for 3 and a half miles without seeing a Subway is pretty unbelievable.  

#11 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:26 PM

The fact that you could ride that stretch of 7th and Camp Bowie for 3 and a half miles without seeing a Subway is pretty unbelievable.  

I consider it a plus.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users