Photo
- - - - -

Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Downtown Office New Construction Bennett Benner Partnership Frost Tower 640 Taylor

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#451 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

This is my latest photograph of the Frost Tower construction.  It was taken on Saturday, September 16, 2017.  The form work will contain the pour of the main roof slab.  The building is near full height with only the 26th Mechanical floor to go.

36958777190_12647bf2ca_h.jpgfrostconst-23 by jtrobert, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the skyline taken today showing the columns going up on the 26th level and you can see its height in relationship to 500 W. 7th (Bank of America).  That building is the light colored one just to the right of the Frost Tower in the photo.  You can see that it is clearly taller than the 273' tall building.

36958962090_ef267e1614_h.jpgpenn-skyline by jtrobert, on Flickr

#452 rriojas71

rriojas71

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

I believe I am referring to the 18-story brown-brick building at the northeast corner of Lamar and 7th Street.  When I line the two buildings up at a vantage point farther south on Lamar it appears that they are on a level plane at their tops.  I suppose this is more an optical ilusion, but the point made about floor-to-height differences is well taken.

Clearly an optical illusion. Frost tower is definitely much taller from almost every angle than the BOA building and the electrical building was is dwarfed as you get to an angle that show them equidistant from each other.

#453 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

This may not be the best angle, but it's pretty obvious from the Amon Carter Museum how tall the Frost Tower is currently.  Even though the forms are there for the main roof deck, there is still one more level to go.  Here's that view from the Carter, and you can see the building is taller than Bank of America and even the Electric Building, even though that one is mostly hidden.

37099427536_a40e6b5054_h.jpgskyline-09-16-17 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#454 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

From my viewpoint on Daggett, about directly due south of Frost tower, only the top three floors stick out above the Bank of America building. It also blocks everything west of the crane tower. It has been interesting watching it climb up.

Erik France

#455 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Glass installation has moved one floor up and they have installed most of the glass on the 2nd office level.  However, since my last photograph from Penn Street showed the forms in place to pour three columns on the 26th level, I decided to take this construction photo from 3rd Street.  You can clearly see the form for one of the exterior columns above the main roof line.  This photograph was taken on September 23, 2017.

37225788746_7d3d931b8f_h.jpgfrostconst-24 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#456 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

That adds a nice bit of height to cap it off. 

#457 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

I don't know if any of you noticed this, but the west side of the 26th floor/roof screen aligns with the cantilever floor slab on the north wall.

#458 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

The columns are up mostly around the perimeter of the roof screen.  The more I'm looking at these columns, the more I am realizing that there will not be a concrete roof slab poured on top.  I'm now beginning to think this is just a roof screen.  I did get out far enough from downtown today to see that the elevator core has been poured for a short level on top of the roof.  I can't tell if this is the top of the elevator overrun, or there will be a machine room on top of this.  Here's another view of the building from the northwest showing the columns on top.  More of the forms have been removed on the parapet.  The photo was taken on September 30, 2017.

37390111242_3501ed866f_h.jpgfrostconst-25 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#459 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

A couple I shot over the weekend

DLA9M6lUQAAgmTA.jpg

DLA9KClVYAAoug9.jpg

#460 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

I was attending a meeting at Historic Fort Worth, Inc. (1110 Penn St.) at lunch and while coming in on I-30, I happened to notice that the Frost Tower definitely has an elevator overrun sitting on the roof.  This penthouse also has a stair run up to the roof, as well.  This is required by the building code.

#461 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

This is the latest construction photograph taken from the northwest, again.  I took this photo on October 7, 2017.  The curtain wall installation has moved one floor up since last week.

37582415601_53fa3a503c_h.jpgfrostconst-26 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#462 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

One more floor of curtain wall has been installed and the rooftop mechanical unit has been put in place.  I took a poor photograph with my cell phone yesterday from the east that caught the rooftop equipment, but I decided to go back this afternoon to take one from the northwest.  I am not far enough back to catch the rooftop equipment.

37722294441_0fc440b27e_h.jpgfrostconst-27 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#463 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Here's this weekend's photograph of the Frost Tower.  The curtain wall is continuing to move up and the parking garage screen is being installed on the north side of the building.  The most important thing is that beams have been installed between the columns that are on the roof.  Also, some vertical supports for the curtain wall have been installed at the edge of the roof parapet.  These minor columns have been braced back to the main structural concrete columns.  It appears that this building is now at full height.  Still not seen from this close up is the actual rooftop penthouse that houses the core elements. As the building now has its final form and a lot of the curtain wall has been installed, does anyone have any impressions?  I always like to wait until the building is complete before I express my opinions, but if anyone wants to talk about the appearance, you are welcome to reply.

37819419206_8a17779d8e_h.jpgfrostconst-28 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#464 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I think this is going to be a very nice addition to downtown once complete. I really like how the glass installed so far takes on a different look depending on the angle you're viewing it from or the lighting conditions. For lack of a better term, I like the "context" of the building. It blends in well in the skyline without being hidden. It makes an impact from the different angles that I've seen it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it interacts with its surroundings on the street level.

#465 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

I just took a photo 

DM_oTZyVwAAePPn.jpg

#466 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,749 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Over the last week, or so, I had a cold.  I missed last weekend taking progress photos of the Frost Tower construction.  However, I did make it back downtown for a few minutes this afternoon.  Here is the current photo of the construction.  The picture was taken on November 5, 2017.

37486348764_cc9f2b294b_h.jpgfrostconst-29 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#467 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

Skyline view from the northside

DN59A2kVoAAMs3L.jpg

#468 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

Just about two months after glass hit the office levels, it has now reached the roof.

GQfw2DQ.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Office, New Construction, Bennett Benner Partnership, Frost Tower, 640 Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users