56 replies to this topic

#51 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

How about The Main Street Art Fest does it in less than a week?

You are going compare Main Street in Downtown where utilities and infrastructure is permanently in place to a public park where it is not?

#52 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

I disagree that the utility setup is significantly different.  The majority of Art Fest space is in the middle of the street where there's no infrastructure.  There are permanent electrical outlets all through the park.  I have no problem with fencing of specific sections to do some of the pre-work, but there's no reason the trail needs to be fenced off.

And since you seem to disagree with everything I say, it's time to put you on ignore for a while.  See ya.

My blog: Doohickie

#53 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

I find it ridiculous that they take the park offline for a full month every year.  Set up the week leading up to it and tear it down the following week.  They do it that way for the Main Street Art Fest, not sure why Mayfest needs all the extra time.

Here are the reasons they must close the park for that period of time.  For what it's worth, part of the funds from Mayfest go directly to the trails and parks that make this city great.

https://www.mayfest....ty-park-closure

I disagree that the utility setup is significantly different.  The majority of Art Fest space is in the middle of the street where there's no infrastructure.  There are permanent electrical outlets all through the park.  I have no problem with fencing of specific sections to do some of the pre-work, but there's no reason the trail needs to be fenced off.

And since you seem to disagree with everything I say, it's time to put you on ignore for a while.  See ya.

Perhaps you should take the time and read other people's posts on the Forum; you might be surprise what you can learn. - re: fw-a, 4/25/17

Seldom, if ever, is there anything said to disagree with;  when what is said is more or less inconsequential.

#54 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

The construction of the trail on the east side of the river is progressing steadily; I suspect the goal is to connect the new bridge (next to the Forest Park RR Bridge) to the Tilley Bridge prior to Mayfest.  Most of the construction under the freeway/railroad bridges is done; the remainder will be along the bank by the Pappa's restaurants and along Forest Park.

Someone who went to the Bicycle Advisory Council meeting reported to me that the trail on the east bank will *not* be ready for Mayfest 2018.  Instead, the city will make improvements on the packed gravel trail on the west side of Trinity Park this year to fix flooding problems on the trail, and by 2019 the trail along the east bank will be complete.

#55 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

I wouldn't mind the blocking of the Trail so much if the main pathway through the park was paved, not just adding another layer of gravel.

#56 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Same here, but at this point the end game is the trail on the east bank; the work on the stone path through the west side of the park is a bandaid for this year. 

And as it goes, I'll take it.  The trail isn't ideal for road bikes but it's okay for bikes with wide-ish tires.  If the temporary measures correct some of the deficiencies on that trail, it could result in long term benefits for all the different trails involved.

#57 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

I might consider the east bank trail once it's completed in this area.  Being a bit lazy and set in my biking ways, however, I would prefer a straight line to downtown (and home).  As it currently is, my early-morning commute during Mayfest time this past year was to trek north on University Boulevard to the first light and turn right back into the park at a point just north of the closed-off arts fair event, then back onto the trail.  Not too risky safety-wise because there's little traffic on University at 4:00 a.m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users