14 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

The New Isis Theater on Main Street just south of Exchange has been sold. It has sat vacant for many years while restoration and redevelopment has gone on all around it. The new owner probably has the wherewithal to make a quality restoration of this 1936 building. The building next door was also sold, so hopefully there is going to be a spate of redevelopment happening in that area real soon:

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

It will be interesting to see if this comes about.   Art Weinman did some drawings for the restoration of the theater for Klaas Talsma.  I don't know if Mr. White will utilize that design or not. 

#3 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

I've seen Art's renderings of the ISIS.  I think that he use of the building next door would be necessary.  As I remember the presentation, his ideas for reuse made a lot of sense.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#4 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Mr. Klaas Talsma filed for bankruptcy in 2013. The deed (to the Isis) was transferred to his daughter.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Does anyone knkw her by chance? I'd like to see and photograph the inside lf the theater before the renovations begin.

#6 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

I just noticed, this week, as I was driving down North Main that the front of the New Isis (the area around the ticket booth where you can drink beer and urinate) has been sealed off with sheets of wood.  Does this mean that we can expect to see some renovation soon, or were they just looking to stop people from drinking and urinating there?

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

I'm guessing the latter.

My blog: Doohickie

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

I'm guessing the same.  I don't know of any definite plans for the building.  In the meantime, it will just continue to deteriorate.

#9 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

Beyond the facade, is there really much left to deteriorate?   If you do a google image search for the terms Isis Theater and stockyards you will find several photos of what is left of the inside of the theater: very little.  

Here's a page where many of the images in the search come from:  http://flickrhivemin...sis/Interesting

The projection booth seems to be more or less intact.  The auditorium is a complete loss.   The mental seat frames at the ends of the rows look like they were ornate and could perhaps be salvaged and reused.  Everything else is little more than debris.  The roof is completely shot and daylight shines through in many areas.

Any reuse of this building would require completely gutting whats left of the interior and essentially putting in a brand new building inside the shell.  It is way beyond remodeling or repairing.

The current controversy over the Lakewood Theater in Dallas is the proposal to chop the interior portion into restaurants.   Too bad the situation is not reversed.  The Lakewood has a lot of nice original details still intact and seeing it chopped up would be a shame.  Based on what I can see of the New Isis what was left after its last remodel was anything but spectacular.  It would be neat if someone could bring it back as a theater or performance space - but if someone simply kept the facade and reconfigured the interior as something else I think that would be nice too.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:11 PM

Dismuke, there is really not much left to deteriorate.  However, the roof could continue to rot away, which might lead to an eventual structural failure of the exterior walls.  Look at what happened in October to the old New Worth Hotel/Stockyards Lodge 1244.  That building's roof had finally deteriorated that it was removed and the structure was left in place.  A big wind came along and blew the rear wall down.  You think that masonry walls are stable enough to support themselves, but most of the time, they rely on a sound structural system and an intact roofing system in place to remain upright in all weather conditions.  I'm afraid that if the building is not made more sound, a wall collapse could trigger total demolition of the building.

#11 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

I don't think anyone will touch this building. The name is bad voodoo.

- Dylan

#12 claxton

claxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

Those pictures make me sad, because I know I'm looking at Fort Worth's answer to the Granada Theater. 

#13 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Or perhaps Fort Worth's answer to the Kessler Theater?   It was heavily damaged by the 1957 Oak Cliff tornado and repaired.  Then it was gutted by fire. The structure was just an empty shell and hadn't been used as a theater in years when it was brought back as what is now a successful music venue.  Very little, if anything, is left of the original interior and it has been reconfigured to suit its current purpose.  But it is still nice inside - and its distinctive facade is the same as it has always been.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

It would be a neat venue for country music and dancing. 

#15 claxton

claxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:29 AM

Or perhaps Fort Worth's answer to the Kessler Theater?   It was heavily damaged by the 1957 Oak Cliff tornado and repaired.  Then it was gutted by fire. The structure was just an empty shell and hadn't been used as a theater in years when it was brought back as what is now a successful music venue.  Very little, if anything, is left of the original interior and it has been reconfigured to suit its current purpose.  But it is still nice inside - and its distinctive facade is the same as it has always been.

I think a place like the Grand is more along the lines of the Kessler: smaller and more intimate. The layout of the Isis is practically identical to the Granada in regards to the large floor space and walk-up to the balcony. The location is great with it being in the middle of an established entertainment district and the close proximity to downtown. I'd imagine they could pull in some great numbers by booking popular regional acts, some known national/international ones, and other special events (maybe a weekly Cowboys watch party on the big screen, a la the Granada).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users