Photo
- - - - -

MLS is looking to expand, should Fort Worth be interested?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

Earlier this week the 21st MLS franchise was awarded to Orlando. Looking to expand to 24 teams by 2020, MLS could fill 3 more spots. Currently, Miami, San Antonio, Atlanta, and Minneapolis/ St. Paul are the top contenders. Should Fort Worth be in this mix?

Despite there being another franchise in the Metroplex, FC Dallas, I think there could easily be an existing fanbase for a sport. Toyota Stadium is 41 miles away from DTFW, I don't imagine there being much crossover in fanbases. 

A soccer-specific stadium would need to be built to attract a team(though many are mixed use and can serve as football and concert venues as well) probably would be looking at a cost of between 80-200k, depinding on size and features. Perhaps Amon Carter could be used aswell.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

....MLS... Looking to expand to 24 teams by 2020, MLS could fill 3 more spots. Currently, Miami, San Antonio, Atlanta, and Minneapolis/ St. Paul are the top contenders. Should Fort Worth be in this mix?

.....I think there could easily be an existing fanbase for a sport.... I don't imagine there being much crossover in fanbases. 

A soccer-specific stadium would need to be built to attract a team(though many are mixed use and can serve as football and concert venues as well) probably would be looking at a cost of between 80-200k, depinding on size and features....

I would say “Yes” to being in the mix because of the large and ever increasing Hispanic population in both San Antonio and Fort Worth; and further agree with your thinking that there is an existing fan base in the Fort Worth area. 

I suspect that the MLS franchise in Dallas/Frisco is located relatively remote from the vast amount of this particular population in the Dallas area; and that it would and could have done better remaining in the Cotton Bowl.

Instead of minor league baseball in TRV, I suspect that “football (soccer)” would have excellent attendance at this site because of its centrality to the largest of its fan base.  That being said, I am not for using public funds to construct a stadium for any professional sports organization.

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'd love to have MLS here, obviously, since I did an entire thread on possible sights for Soccer Specific Stadiums here last year. 

But that's something we may have to wait on, because I guarantee, those last three spots are going to either of the following cities first:

- Atlanta

- Minnesota

- San Antonio

- Miami

- St. Louis

- Edmonton

- Detroit (yes, even Detroit) 

- San Diego (if Chivas U.S.A. doesn't move there, first) 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

I truly wish Fort Worth would get this MLS franchise.  But, alas, the brilliancy of the Dallas lights has forever blinded the sports intelligentsia of our beloved country.

#5 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

well, the brightness of the Dallas lights didn't stop Frisco from getting a soccer team... Seriously though, the London metro area is only a bit bigger than the Dallas-FW-Arlington metro; and they've got 6 premier-league soccer teams: http://en.wikipedia....i/London#Sports  There's no reason DFW can't support two teams.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Comparing the fandom surrounding soccer in Britain to potential in the US is like comparing peas to bowling balls.  MLS is gaining popularity, but it has a long way to go.  That being said, I think there's potential to have a team in Fort Worth be a big draw.  If you can have an ownership group build up a culture surrounding the team like they've done in Seattle, anything is possible. 

#7 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think if there were a team in Fort Worth, both it and FC Dallas would benefit from the cross-metro rivalry.  Peas, bowling balls, you have to start somewhere. 

#8 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

I wonder why Austin isn't on those lists?  Largest MSA in the country with no professional sports team. 

I actually think MLB should look at Austin if they ever expand or need to move a team.  No reason we shouldn't have 3 MLB teams in Texas when California has 5.  NBA makes less sense because tons of Austinites are Spurs fans, and the NFL is probably a long shot because the Longhorns have such a pull in football.  But I think Austin could be a good baseball town, and fans of all sports would likely flock to the one pro team in town.  All that to say that I think there are much better options for MLS in Texas, much less elsewhere...  Which sucks because I'd like to believe that we would do well with a team.

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

I wonder why Austin isn't on those lists?  Largest MSA in the country with no professional sports team. 

I actually think MLB should look at Austin if they ever expand or need to move a team.  No reason we shouldn't have 3 MLB teams in Texas when California has 5.  NBA makes less sense because tons of Austinites are Spurs fans, and the NFL is probably a long shot because the Longhorns have such a pull in football.  But I think Austin could be a good baseball town, and fans of all sports would likely flock to the one pro team in town.  All that to say that I think there are much better options for MLS in Texas, much less elsewhere...  Which sucks because I'd like to believe that we would do well with a team.

UT athletics OWN Austin. 

Besides, from my experiences and Austinites I've spoken to, the city doesn't seem to even want major pro sports teams. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#10 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

UT athletics OWN Austin. 

Besides, from my experiences and Austinites I've spoken to, the city doesn't seem to even want major pro sports teams. 

There probably is an anti-pro sports mentality at some level, but there are enough transplants in Austin nowadays that I think the average person down there would love the idea of a pro team.  The Austin MSA has doubled in population over the past 20 years, so the potential money involved assures us that it's going to happen...just a matter of when.

#11 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well, technically it's not. Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario MSA is 2.5x the size of Austin-Round Rock.  :swg:

#12 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Technically true, CJ, but from the standpoint of a league trying to place teams they're considered to be served by the LA teams in that adjacent MSA. There's enough population to potentially support more teams, but the Austin market is altogether untapped. There's no adjacent MSA there.

But Austin is also a great example of how a city/region can market itself successfully without a pro sports franchise. They've had no trouble attracting the companies and demographics many cities are vying for. Getting a team now might be a nice addition, but it won't suddenly make them more competitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users