• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Milton Brown , graduated Arlington Heights in 1925 , really was the person who first introduced Western Swing , he played at the Crystal Springs Dance Hall on white settlement road . I have a lot of info on him and his group and Sam Papa Cunningham . Just wondering if anyone has any info or photos of the band or the clubs they played in from that era .

#2 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Check out "San Antonio Rose:The Life and Times of Bob Wills" by Charles Townsend (I believe that was the book and the author's name). There are a few pics of Crystal Springs and some of the other venues those guys played in that book. Jesse Ashlock, Herman Arnspiger, bunch of guys that played with Bob Wills played with Milton Brown. Bob Wills played with him in the original Light Crust Doughboys. Those guys were all kinda interchangeable I think. Milton would have probably been known as the originator of Western Swing (or at least co-held the title with Bob Wills) if he hadn't died so prematurely. There are some good pictures of Milton & Durwood Brown in Mr. Townsend's book as well if I recall correctly.

#3 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thanks , I will get that book ASAP !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users