3 replies to this topic

#1 since63

since63

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when this shopping center opened and what some of its tenants were.

#2 stevee

stevee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

I attended the grand opening I was very young it must have been around 1963-64. The Wilburn Brothers and Johnny Weissmuller were there. The stores I remember were Montgomery Ward, Firestone, Ashburn's Ice Cream (I think it was called) and Panchos which opened a little later I think. There was a discount store across from Panchos but I don't remember it's name. I remember looking at the new Beatles LP Revolver there.  

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,663 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

There was definitely a Montgomery Ward there.  I remember the store.

#4 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

I grew up in Richland Hills during this time and I remember the mall opening in the early 60's. We used to ride our bicycles up there all the time. I remember hearing this mall was the second one to be opened in the Fort Worth area.(Seminary South was the first) Montgomery Ward, Bonds,Carnation(not Ashburn's)Kresge's(Which later would become K-Mart) Ward's Cut Rate Drug Store,Buddie's Supermarket,Firestone,Pancho's,barber shop,and several small specialty stores catering to women's fashions. Also out in the parking lot were a movie theatre,KFC,and a minature golf course at one time.

My understanding is that the building of Northeast Mall brought about the demise of this mall even though it has rebounded quite well now with the tenants it has now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users