• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

From the Fort Worth Gazette blog...

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing. :smwink:

#3 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Great read, Pete! The Evans family had quite a presence along East Bluff street and until the modern redevelopment, the old Evans 2-story family home was still standing. (I have an old photo I took years ago)  Although the exterior had been denatured of its ornamental details and covered with green asbestos shingles, the opulent interior was largely intact. Scavengers stripped out the ornate staircase newel and balustrade, pocket doors, and mantels shortly before it was demolished but the house reflected the prosperity of the Evans family. All of the area near the vanished Cummings (named after early Judge C.C. Cummings whose home was lost to development) and East Bluff streets disappeared in clouds of demolition dust.  They Evanses also owned some 1890's rentals built along Peach street east of Samuels. I'm fairly certain one of these houses still stands. The now vanished Grant Street (east of Charles E. Nash elementary school) was originally named Evans after the Evans family. Now the Evans family legacy will only be remembered from archival sources. I appreciate you highlighting these lost pieces of Fort Worth history. Perhaps their loss will motivate the preservation of what little remains of Fort Worth's early days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users