175 replies to this topic

#151 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

They need to get a new stock photo for the bike share though.  Brian moved to Chicago a year ago.

ECObikeshareridership.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#152 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

They posted on FB that 2016 had 55,841 rides and 286,149 miles ridden. That's what, 33% more rides this year?  

#153 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Absolutely appalled that during the Stock Show, the Bcycle system shuts down the station closest to the SS. This apparently is done at the request (demand?) of SS management. I suppose they want to assure that no one gets into the Show without the paid parking extortion. IMO this is precisely the event where alternative transportation like Bcycle should be encouraged.

From the B-Cycle Newsletter:

At the request of the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, the Gendy and Lansford station will be closed beginning Friday, January 13th and will reopen Sunday, February 5th.

#154 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Their thought process is probably more along the lines of lots of traffic in the area, both motor and pedestrian, and they would prefer not to deal with people not from the area creating more traffic confusion on bikes.

#155 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

The same station is open during the Cowtown marathon weekend, with many times more pedestrians in the area (and within a few dozen yards of the finish line), and no problems. In fact it's the best way to get to/from the Cowtown Marathon.

#156 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

The same station is open during the Cowtown marathon weekend, with many times more pedestrians in the area (and within a few dozen yards of the finish line), and no problems. In fact it's the best way to get to/from the Cowtown Marathon.

I don't see the marathon attracting a whole lot of articulated livestock trailers and other large vehicles driven by people who don't live in the city.

#157 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

None of which are in any proximity to the station that is being closed. This station is directly adjacent to the beloved City built parking garage, which during the SS generates 100% of it's revenue exclusively for the SS. If we wish to protect bikers from livestock trailers and the like, best to shut down the stations in Trinity Park.

#158 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

IMO this is precisely the event where alternative transportation like Bcycle should be encouraged.

You've obviously never tried to ride a bike wearing cowboy boots.

#159 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

None of which are in any proximity to the station that is being closed. This station is directly adjacent to the beloved City built parking garage, which during the SS generates 100% of it's revenue exclusively for the SS. If we wish to protect bikers from livestock trailers and the like, best to shut down the stations in Trinity Park.

I'm not saying I agree with the reasoning, just speculating what their reasoning is.

#160 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

I asked about this on Facebook and they said it's got to do with horses.

edit - The official response 

Any area that is open to horse traffic is closed to bicycles and skateboards during the stock show.

#161 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Huh?  Are they using the B-cycle stands as hitching posts?  And are they taking measures to keep non-rental bicycles out for safety reasons?

#162 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

Any area that is open to horse traffic is closed to bicycles and skateboards during the stock show.

So I guess the entirety of Trinity Park and the Trinity Trails is now closed to bicycles?

This is a public street that goes North/South between the Science Museum and the WRMC parking lots.

BS excuse IMHO.

• JBB likes this

#163 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I was at the stock show on Monday, and Gendy St. was closed to normal traffic.  We paid to get into the show in the little space between the Science Museum and the National Cow Girl Museum, and once we passed though there, we were "inside."  Looks to me like if they kept that B-Cycle station open, then people would have to bring the bikes through one of the entrances to the stock show.

#164 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

The age old civil war waged by equines against the horseless carriage or similar (etal bicycles).

"The horses win; daaahhhh horses win!

#165 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Actually, you are historically correct.  The bicycle rivaled the horse long before the invention of the horseless carriage.  I believe as far back as 1817.  But bicycling was mainly an urban form of transportation for "dandies."

I don't know why everyone is making such a fuss over the closing of two bike-sharing stations.  Heck, there are a whole lot of other area stations available in and around downtown and the Trails.  In  answer to the question in Post#162, the Trails are still open.

#166 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

I've seen a similar concern in D.C. right now where many bike share stations are closing due to the inauguration. 

#167 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

I don't know why everyone is making such a fuss over the closing of two bike-sharing stations.  Heck, there are a whole lot of other area stations available in and around downtown and the Trails.  In  answer to the question in Post#162, the Trails are still open.

Because our elected officials like to talk about transportation alternatives, but then when there's a 3 week long event that's a known pain-in-the-... to park at, we close down the closest best way to get there!

Look at those brand new equestrian barns and where they are located and tell me this has anything at all to do with horses. This is about revenue.

#168 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

This wonderful FW Magazine article talks a bit about two new potential ideas for bike sharing in FW. Smart bikes, which don't require stations (perhaps similar to MoBike in China), and bikes with electric assist motors.

#169 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

Vbikes invade Fort Worth: 

http://www.star-tele...e156950244.html

But it's not all goodness and light:

https://www.citylab....utm_source=SFFB

#170 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

A friend tried out one of the bikes and he said it was pretty awful.  They have features meant to reduce maintenance (such as air-less tires) that hamper ride quality.  And it's not much of a deal over B-Cycle, especially since you have to put a $99 deposit down, and they keep the deposit unless you request it be returned (the idea is that they keep the deposit in anticipation that you'll continue to use the bike service).

#171 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. For a fledgling bike share system like B-cycle in Fort Worth (that still hasn't been able to attract a presenting sponsor) this sort of competition/confusion is needed like a hole in the head.

#172 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

But are they guaranteed an exclusive franchise for Fort Worth?  Or should the free market be encouraged?

#173 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

Who is the "they" in your question?

#174 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. For a fledgling bike share system like B-cycle in Fort Worth (that still hasn't been able to attract a presenting sponsor) this sort of competition/confusion is needed like a hole in the head.

"They" is B Cycle (as mentioned by Volare).

#175 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Fort Worth Bike Sharing (non-profit) I presume does have an exclusive B-cycle franchise for Fort Worth. But of course that doesn't preclude other models from showing up. The article that I linked first in post 169 talks about some of the drawbacks of these venture capital based sharing systems. I've been to some cities in China that have 4-5 of these systems competing (each has bikes of a different color) and I can't say that the increased competition has improved the service there.

#176 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

...but they don't have some exclusive franchise with the City of Ft Worth for bike sharing (as far as I know).

They do, I think, have an established brand and a dedicated following.  From what I read and hear about VBike, I just don't see them as being competitive against BCycle.

. To start, they have only 6 bicycles.

. The ride quality of their bicycles is poor (per reports, I don't know this personally).

. It's difficult to plan/depend on them because they don't have fixed locations like BCycle.

. Based on the picture in the article, they don't have baskets which may be a problem for some users.

They may establish some niche for themselves, but I don't see them hurting BCycle too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users