• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 utamav91

utamav91

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:39 PM

just thinking about some of the old stores that used to be in there. What a great place! Toys By Roy, Blue Hawaiian restaurant, Picadilly Cafeteria, there was an organ/piano store, Service Merchandise (formerly Wilson's), Montgomery Ward, a sports cafe and an incredible pizza place with a buffet and a big-screen TV near the Dillard's/Movie Theater entrance. And of course, one of the biggest and best arcades anywhere (it had a huge carousel in it too).

#2 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:43 PM

Hi utamav91, sorry to say never visited that particular mall. Sounds like it was an interesting location.

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#3 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:29 PM

I am not familiar with that mall. Where was it located?
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#4 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:53 PM

Arlington seems to ring a bell, but I could be wrong.

#5 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:06 AM

I am not familiar with that mall.  Where was it located?

View Post

360 @ Pioneer Parkway (a/k/a Spur 303)

We used to shop at Forum and at Six Flags Mall when I lived in south Arlington & Mansfield as a lad. I believe the Montgomery Wards had an attached one-story parking garage, which seemed fairly novel at the time.

A couple of years in high school, I worked the March of Dimes Haunted House there. Good memories of that.

#6 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:32 PM

I remember when 303 was built. It was anchored by Leonard's and Montgomery-Ward. It had an ice skating rink there too.
I also remember in the mall there was an rendering of future plans for the mall that included several high rise towers.
I also remember my parents talking about a planned mall near Bryant-Irvin Rd. and SW Blvd. This was about the time 303 was being built, it was to be anchored by a Wards and Leonards also. I think the plans for Hulen Mall overshadowed the plans.
I think 303, Six Flags, and NE Mall all were built around the same time.

#7 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:35 PM

Yeah... it is where the outlet Dillard's is... I think it is called Festival Marketplace or something. It is on the east side of 360 south of Six Flags Mall (Foley's at Six Flags is closing next month by the way). I remember that mall having a big ice rink when I was a kid.

Does anyone recall the ice rink/bowling alley in Euless on Hwy 10? I think it was called the Swiss Chalet or something like that. It is now Restoration Church.

#8 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Location:Stop Six/Echo Heights/Eastwood/Forest Hill/Meadowbrook/Fossill Creek

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:22 AM

just thinking about some of the old stores that used to be in there. What a great place! Toys By Roy, Blue Hawaiian restaurant, Picadilly Cafeteria, there was an organ/piano store, Service Merchandise (formerly Wilson's), Montgomery Ward, a sports cafe and an incredible pizza place with a buffet and a big-screen TV near the Dillard's/Movie Theater entrance. And of course, one of the biggest and best arcades anywhere (it had a huge carousel in it too).

View Post

The mall has been bad for decades. I recall how funky the stores smelled and how the rats would run wild in the dollar theater. :lol:

#9 jenidallas

jenidallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:A FW native who is happy to be back home finally!

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:05 AM

I remember the history of the non-Arlington malls. We had Seminary South - then NE Mall - then Ridgmar - then finally the "jewel", Hulen. Growing up in SW Fort Worth, its weird to remember that Hulen was once pasturelands!

The mention of Toys by Roy floods back so many memories - but for me of the one in Ridgmar Mall. That was when toy stores actually carried cool stuff!

#10 krob

krob

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(jenidallas @ Jul 2 2005, 06:05 AM) View Post

I remember the history of the non-Arlington malls. We had Seminary South - then NE Mall - then Ridgmar - then finally the "jewel", Hulen. Growing up in SW Fort Worth, its weird to remember that Hulen was once pasturelands!

The mention of Toys by Roy floods back so many memories - but for me of the one in Ridgmar Mall. That was when toy stores actually carried cool stuff!

Toys By Roy at ridgmar Mall rocked!. . . as well as Toy Chest on Camp Bowie

#11 susan

susan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(JOCOguy @ Dec 9 2004, 03:32 PM) View Post

I remember when 303 was built. It was anchored by Leonard's and Montgomery-Ward.

I remember when there was nothing there except Leonards!

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

Susan, welcome to the forum! Actually constructing one of the department store anchors before the mall was fairly common in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Leonard's built both Forum 303 and Northeast Mall stores before the construction for the malls started.

#13 utamav91

utamav91

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 3 2005, 02:31 PM) View Post

Susan, welcome to the forum! Actually constructing one of the department store anchors before the mall was fairly common in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Leonard's built both Forum 303 and Northeast Mall stores before the construction for the malls started.

I worked at the Service Merchandise out there from 1989-1992. Toward the end of those years a lot of places really started to shut down. The Service Merchandise did a great business. It was in the old blue Wilson's color scheme then was finally painted gray to match the newer Service Merchandise locations like the one in Irving on 183 at Story Rd. and the one at Hulen. The Forum had a great pizza place in it at the court where the movie theater was. They did a small buffet and when you walked in, sometimes the owner would ask you what you wanted and after finishing your salad I was often pleased to find my choice of pizza on the buffet. They had a big-screen TV in there too, so I recall watching a lot of college football during our lunch hours on saturdays.

#14 dagnbag

dagnbag

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(utamav91 @ Dec 5 2005, 10:18 AM) View Post

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 3 2005, 02:31 PM) View Post

I worked at the Service Merchandise out there from 1989-1992. Toward the end of those years a lot of places really started to shut down. The Service Merchandise did a great business. It was in the old blue Wilson's color scheme then was finally painted gray to match the newer Service Merchandise locations like the one in Irving on 183 at Story Rd. and the one at Hulen. The Forum had a great pizza place in it at the court where the movie theater was. They did a small buffet and when you walked in, sometimes the owner would ask you what you wanted and after finishing your salad I was often pleased to find my choice of pizza on the buffet. They had a big-screen TV in there too, so I recall watching a lot of college football during our lunch hours on saturdays.

When I was in middle school in the late 70's, we used to sneak into the cinema at Forum 303 all the time. The exit door was just inside the mall entrance, so we would hang out just ouside the mall doors and wait for someone to leave the cinema...and we would slip in just as the exit door was closing. And I remember that pizza place well...when we weren't trying to sneak into the Forum 6, we were hangin' in the pizza place! I still have lots of memories of the ice rink as well.

#15 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

In 1969, when I was 13, I used to walk from my grandmothers to Forum 303. Every Saturday they had some "big" event, like a cheerleader contest or something in the center pit area.

I then used to walk from there to Six Flags Mall and then back to my Grandmothers on Collins. I would have to pack a pup tent now to do that much walking. Kids don't walk that much any more. There was a Radio Shack at the Forum 303 mall. They had a card that would get you a free battery each month. That was worth 8 miles of walking to me. (Would get a square 9 volt for my walkie talkie)
www.fortworthview.com

#16 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

I lived in Ridgmar and we used to skate all the time at Will Rogers. We were NOT allowed to go to Forum 303. Well my friend and I set out for Will Rogers only to find it closed. We decided to head to Arlington. We drove all the way from Will Rogers to Forum 303 with my belt to my coat hanging out the door bouncing down the freeway. Boy didi I get in trouble.

Flash forward to a weekend home from college and by now my parents are living in Arlington. My boyfriend talked me into a game of broomball at the rink. Some drunk UTA frat guy whacked me across the knees on purpose and the rink guard called the police and had him arrested for assault. He plea bargained down to mischief...the little turd.

I also remember seeing some great movies there. Ya gotta remember in the late 70's/early 80's that and Six Flags Mall and Forum 303 were all we had for entertainment.

#17 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

The old Forum 303 Mall in Arlington (at Pioneer and Hwy 360) is now biting the dust. Demolition began in October. Sigh. It seems every place I used to work at has since been demolished.

I worked at the Forum Fair Arcade in the Forum 303 Mall in 1990. I fixed the arcade games in there. Yes, it had a real merry-go-round inside. Kids loved it and we held many birthday parties in that arcade. It also had Skee-Ball machines which dispensed tickets that you could redeem for prizes. I eventually worked myself out of a job; ran out of broken video games. smile.gif

The Forum 6 movie theater was right across from the arcade. There was this GIGANTIC wall that they would repaint whenever a big blockbuster movie would come out. When I worked there they had it painted up for one of the _Star Trek_ movies.

As time went on, the mall slowly died. Some years ago they gutted the interior and turned it into a giant one-room flea market with a cover over it and changed the name to "Festival Marketplace." They even made TV commercials for that. But the old arcade and everything we remembered inside was completely gone.

Friends of mine started a brand-new arcade in the Festival Marketplace, and in fact it was the very last tenant to leave. When the air conditioning broke down in the building, the owners decided not to get it fixed and instead just told all their tenants to pack up and get out! Most of them headed up the road to Six Flags Mall. But the arcade stayed "open" even though there was nobody inside the mall anymore, simply because it was their home base for their outside arcade game routes and the building owners also liked having someone on the property to kinda watch things. But eventually they too left for Six Flags Mall.

Recently I tracked down the lady I used to work for at the old Forum Fair arcade and she told me that she used to work in the mall's main office, pretty much from the time it was built. She said the Forum 303 Mall never really had a chance; it was built shortly before DFW Airport was completed, but Hwy 360 wasn't completed at that time and so the traffic just didn't reach the mall as much as anyone hoped.

But The Parks Mall at Cooper St. and I-20 is what REALLY killed it off. It sucked away customers, and of course crime frightened off everyone who could leave. I'd say half a dozen people got killed on the property over the stretch of time.

#18 Cranky Greg

Cranky Greg

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

As an Arlington boy growing up in the 1970's, I remember the Forum 303 Mall very well. I heard that it has been torn down. I went on many dates there to the movies and to eat.

Anyway, there was a Straw Hat Pizza place there, right across form the Forum 6 Theaters. Before the mall was built, there was a Leonard's store there. I remember once, I think it was before the mall was built, they filmed part of a movie in the parking lot adjacent to Leonard's. Does anyone remember that?

I also remember that the Forum 6 Theaters was a big darn deal when they were built. I saw my first PG rated film there...called Ssssssss....about snakes! I remember seeing Grease there and a bunch of other movies! The Onion Field!

Anyway, Service Merchandise was not an original tenant. In fact, I think they added on to the mall when Service Merchandise arrived.

There was a Montgomery Ward there. I remember one night a woman was stabbed in the Montgomery Ward parking lot.

There was a Chick-Fil-A there, the first one I ever remember seeing. And, of course, the Picadilly Cafeteria.

I saw some posts about an ice skating rink, but I never remember an ice skating rink there. At least in the 1970's.

There was an area in the middle of the mall where there were school plays and choirs could perform. I remember having some events there.

In the 1970's, the Forum was always second fiddle to Six Flags Mall.

#19 SDiver

SDiver

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

Was 303 where the Rocky Horror Picture Show played at midnight for forever? I remember going in the late 70s/early 80s when lots of fans were dressed up in costume.

#20 The Haltom City Kid

The Haltom City Kid

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:History, Music, Cooking, Politics

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Cranky Greg @ Jul 26 2008, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was an area in the middle of the mall where there were school plays and choirs could perform. I remember having some events there.

In the 1970's, the Forum was always second fiddle to Six Flags Mall.

I remember going with my mom and dad to see Roy Clark there sometime in the early 70's. He played in the hole in the middle of the mall and the joint was packed tight on both levels. I don't really remember actually seeing him but in that big of a crowd I'm sure that all I saw were rear ends.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, however, billions of electrons were temporarily disturbed.

#21 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yes, Forum 303 Mall has been demolished. I don't remember the movie that was filmed there, but I do remember when Leonard's was a free standing store. That was fairly typical in the 1970's and early 1980's. In several malls, the anchor stores opened before the mall. In these cases, the individual anchors that were a planned part of the mall, opened ahead of the construction of the mall itself. I believe that when the mall opened, the center court area and Montgomery Ward joined Leonard's. I do remember that the master plan for the mall included multiple anchors (more than just Service Merchandise) and office buildings. That master plan was never completed.

The original part Northeast Mall was phased in similarly to Forum 303. The Leonard's store opened first. I remember that my family went up there shortly after Leonard's opened and you could look out a glass storefront where the mall entrance was going to be located. At that time, the view from there was of site grading for the mall. In case you are interested, most of the Leonard's store at Northeast has been demolished, as well. However, parts of this building are still standing. The Gap is located inside part of the Leonard's (later Dillard's) store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users