108 replies to this topic

#101 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

I'm happy with DFW Airport, and would rather all airlines fly from it....A new Fort Worth airport would not stop airlines from wanting to fly out of Dallas Love Field instead.

It has gone pass what would make us happy or what we would rather have. 

Budget airlines have or are near to dominating the airline industry in both domestic and international segments.  Either the legacy airlines are going to be faced with greater competition for their business and first class passenger market by new upstart ultra deluxe air service like Hillwood Airlines or the legacy airlines are going to have to implement their own budget airlines.

The dynamic between DFW and Love Field is unsustainable in the long run.  Love Field is both a monopolistic airport and an airport with a limited capacity.  DFW is unattractive to budget airline; and instead of airlines starting DFW service, they are leaving it for the low budget airport. 

American Airlines could lower its fares to make DFW attractive to budget minded flyers or Love Field reaches capacity making fares from there rise.  Neither AA or SWA are willing to budge; and Fort Worth flyers are left with the choice of high air fares (DFW) or travelling to Dallas for low air fares.  This is a situation that is comparable to neighborhoods that have to choose between a nice, affordable grocery store and a convenient store to buy food.  Its disgraceful.

The airline industry greatest growth is it budget airlines; and it is these types of airlines that are being created worldwide and sub-planting legacy carriers in the U.S. and Europe. 

Fort Worth is and will be a prime budget airline destination/departure market to mitigate the dynamic between DFW and Love.  Given a new airport without a dominant carrier to contend with, budget airlines would enter this large regional market.  I cannot think of any reason why budget airlines would not fly into Fort Worth other than the monopolistic control of AA and SWA at the two metropolitan airports.  The way to break up a monopoly is to provide more product (airports).

I am confident that a Fort Worth airport would be very successful if it was established; more confidant than those who think that it will be a flop.

#102 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Spirit Airlines flies from DFW, and Spirit is one of the most budget-friendly airlines in existence.

• JBB likes this

- Dylan

#103 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Now I have never flown Spirit Airlines but the stories that have been recalled by those who have flown this airline are legendarily awful.  Recently (1 week ago), our neighbor flew Spirit to LA; and recalled a price for everything so onerous bordering on being fleeced that I will not consider Spirit as a choice when traveling.  Our friends from Florida also retold a story two years ago when they encountered hours of delay and route hoping just to get from FL to TX.

There is budget flying and then there is Spirit.

#104 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Anybody know if DFW has picked up any of the foreign carriers international flights during the Harvey shoutdown in Houston?

#105 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

I follow a local aircraft spotters group on Facebook and the only foreign diversion of note from IAH that I've seen was an Avianca Embraer regional jet.  There was a Hawaiian Air A-330 on the ramp over the weekend that many thought was a diversion, but it was actually a charter for the visiting Oakland Raiders.  A Coast Guard C-144 made a fuel stop at DFW yesterday afternoon.  A handful of military helicopters made fuel stops at Alliance as well.  And there were several Navy T-6 and T-44 Navy training aircraft that evacuated from Corpus and Kingsville to the JRB and Alliance.  I believe most of them left today.  There were also 4 NASA T-38s from Ellington at the JRB.

#106 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:21 PM

I forgot to mention that 3 Marine Corps V-22s are staying overnight at Alliance in advance of the President's visit to South Texas tomorrow. 

#107 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

Wow Air launching their bright purple planes, only $99 to Iceland.

http://www.star-tele...e171472952.html

#108 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Icelandair announces service from DFW:

http://www.prnewswir...-300519331.html

And another note on the hurricane evacuation discussed above, Irma sent a ton of aircraft to safety at the JRB over the weekend: Navy P-8s and F-18s, Air Force F-22s, F-35s, F-5s, and C-130s, and NASA T-38s.  There's an aerial photo floating around of the base with all of the aircraft on the ramp.  It was impressive.  I believe it numbered somewhere around 75. DFW also provided parking for American planes evacuated out of Miami on one of the far west side taxi ways.

#109 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

Iceland is such a hot destination currently. It's very near the top of my list. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users