4 replies to this topic

#1 jp54

jp54

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

In 1976 I moved into some old apartments between, as I remember somewhere between Camp Bowie and Ridgmar Mall.  They were pretty old and consisted of many buildings.  I think I may have been the last person to rent there because they were going to be demolished.  The buildings were 2 story and had hardwood floors and a wall furnace in the bathroom that was gas and the fire was real.  There was suppose to be a great pool there but I never saw it .  I lived there in the winter and it snowed.  When I visit Fort Worth I always try to find where it was but cannot seem to locate it.  I would pass the Carriage House and he original (small) Black eyed Pea when I would go home from work, at the Merrimac.  Does anyone know anything about that place?   I cannot  even remember the name.  Thanks

#2 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

For some reason your post makes me think of some apartments that were on Byers Ave between Burton Hill Rd and Westover Rd. Does that ring a bell? Looking at Historicaerials.com one sees that they were there from 1956 to 1970 but had been razed by 1979. It's hard nowadays to find any of the old complexes from the 1940s and 1950s that haven't been given the Carthage treatment.

#3 austlar1

austlar1

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Funny, but I was looking for that complex during a drive in that area several months ago.  I don't remember the name, but I do remember that the pool was the site of many a late night party. Many residents of the complex, which was rather nice mostly because of the landscaping, were kind of counterculture types.  Artsy folks tended to flock together in Fort Worth back then, and this complex attracted many as residents. I guess artsy types still flock together, but the scene in FW is no doubt more complex than it was in the late 60s and early 70s.

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Ridgmar Manor "Behind the Wall?"

#5 austlar1

austlar1

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Ridgmar Manor "Behind the Wall?"

Nope. This complex was right on the street very near Westover Hills (on the Camp Bowie side of Westover Hills on a kind of hillside. I can't remember the name of the street (Byers?)  It was pretty wooded and the buildings were near the top of the slope towards the street. The pool was down the slope a bit. It was all very woodsy, especially around the pool. I seem to remember buildings in a darker color brick? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users