13 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Article summarizing the state of freight rail in the DFW area: locomotives, multi-modal, Tower 55, replacing tracks, etc.

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

#2 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

The S-T had an article about the progress on Tower 55 in this morning's paper:

http://www.star-tele...y-on-tower.html

* whole project will cost $104 million

* construction started April 20th

* scheduled for completion in Dec 2014

* plan involves adding a third north-south line

* 9000 ft of track will be added in the project

* "officials are looking at" moving AMTRAK service to the TEX line

Does anybody have any info on what the actual changes are going to be for the intersection?  Are the rails going to be grade-separated?

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Amtrak is supposed to be switched over to the TRE rail, not TEX rail.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Basically this phase primarily includes adding a third at-grade north-south crossing. This is a stopgap measure that they estimate will improve traffic flow for about ten years but then I think they still want to build the grade separation. They are doing work near my house just east of Samuels Avenue. A couple of miles of new track and bridge replacement will alow more trains to be queued up and ready to cross.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Andy.. do you know whether or not they are going to replace the Cold Springs Road overpass?  I would hate to see this since those stone abutments date back to the 1880's and are a small work of art in their way.. 

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#6 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yes, DJ, consider it gone. I was thinking about trying to contact the contractor. Maybe get some of those huge cut stones for landscaping in my backyard.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#7 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Where will the new north/south freight line go through?

- Dylan

#8 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Within 15 feet of the centerline of the existing two north-south tracks, probably to the west as there appears to be room on the west side of the existing bridges, although I'll admit I'm not certain. 

#9 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Within 15 feet of the centerline of the existing two north-south tracks, probably to the west as there appears to be room on the west side of the existing bridges, although I'll admit I'm not certain. 

Don't know why I didn't think about the new line being built next to an existing line at first. I was thinking of a new train path...

- Dylan

#10 agave1114

agave1114

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:old schools, old hospitals, old industrial, downtown, high rises, and railroads

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

There used to be 3 north south tracks. The 3rd track was removed after the UP-SP merger in the mid 90s. Looks like they are double tracking the BNSF from the southside, then north of Belknap. It also appears they're adding another track on the UP portion that goes north to Denton.

#11 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

There used to be 3 north south tracks. The 3rd track was removed after the UP-SP merger in the mid 90s. Looks like they are double tracking the BNSF from the southside, then north of Belknap. It also appears they're adding another track on the UP portion that goes north to Denton.

From the south, the second main track on BNSF begins at North Birds (actually, just northeast of Hemphill) and continues to the tower. A new third crossing of the tower will be located to the west of the current two crossings and will tie into a relocated North Track (BNSF Fort Worth Sub. Main 1). The current crossing will be reconfigured to include crossovers on both the north and south sides of the tower to allow access to the UP Duncan Sub. (the track that snakes around toward the Purina Mill), which includes a relocated BNSF Fort Worth Sub. Main 2 connection, as well as crossover connections to both main tracks on the UP Choctaw Sub. to the north and both main tracks on the UP Fort Worth Sub. to the south. Continuing north, BNSF Fort Worth Sub. Main 2 is being extended from its current end at First Street to a point just south of the Trinity River bridge. Additionally, BNSF has upgraded many signals along the Fort Worth Sub. near Tower 55.

The additional track you mention on the UP is the extension of the Choctaw Sub. Main 2 siding, which currently ends just south of the aerial crossing of Peach Yard near Cold Springs Road. A new bridge is being constructed that will allow the extension of the siding several thousand feet to the north. In addition, "the Gauntlet," an old BN track used as a siding/storage for the UP on Choctaw Main 1, is being upgraded to CTC and relocated at its south end to better tie into the other tracks on the north side of the tower. These improvements will give UP four north/south tracks to stage trains on the north side of the tower, and the tracks will be long enough that in most cases two trains can be stored end-to-end in these tracks.

All this makes the Tower 55 area a much better organized parking lot for trains. I'm just hopeful we'll see a couple 7-11 or QuickTrip gas stations constructed near the tracks.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

The Union Pacific main line north of Fort Worth is being double-tracked through Keller to 114 in Roanoke. It is only a matter time for these improvements to be extended south into Watauga/Fort Worth and Haltom City; the railroad bridges over the free-toll I-820 Jim Wright are already in place. As the article points out, this would be a great time for cities along the way to work with the railroad to eliminate some at-grade crossings and install some quiet-zone crossings as well. 

http://www.star-tele...s-377.html?rh=1

#13 Not Sure

Not Sure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm glad to see this long-rumored project come to fruition. At this point any construction amounts to more storage for Tower 55, but it's part of the long road toward improved velocity and higher capacity for the entire area.

#14 BlueMound

BlueMound

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

Freight Shuttle System at Texas A&M
https://www.wired.co...can-move-stuff/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users