3 replies to this topic

#1 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've run across a few eBooks relating to Fort Worth's history.

The ones in this list can be read online for free, but I will post links to additional eBooks I find whether free or not. I hope others will do so as well.

Revised ordinances of the city of Fort Worth, Texas, 1873-1884. (1885)

Reminiscences of the early days of Fort Worth (1906)

Greater Fort Worth, Texas Illustrated (1907)

History and directory of Fort Worth (1907)

Makers of Fort Worth (1914)

History of Texas; Fort Worth and the Texas northwest edition (1922)

Not about Fort Worth, but published by a Fort Worth land development company promoting Putnam, Tx as a resort town.

Putnam; Let Us Tell You (1910)

#2 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the list. Although I've read some of these such as J.C. Terrell's early Fort Worth history from 1906, I had somehow missed the 1907 Greater Fort Worth, Texas Illustrated. It could just as well have been retitled "Lost Fort Worth" because few of the structures from this publication are still standing. Interesting to note that structures designed by Ludwig Weinman (Grandfather of current FW architect Arthur Weinman) are identified and some by Sanguinet & Staats are as well. As for the little community of Putnam (on the highway to Abilene going west from FW-near historic Baird, TX) like many of the other now faded communities, it had its heyday decades ago. Small town Texas, like much of small town America, seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs-so its better to visit these vanishing communities soon while there's still something left to see. I visited tiny Bellevue, TX on the way to Wichita Falls (U.S. 287) a couple of weeks ago and it is now approaching ghost town status. I tried to find nearby Buffalo Springs and Vashti on the current maps and the former has been replaced by a settlement near Lubbock by the same name and Vashti is now barely identified. I recall Buffalo Springs still had some semblance of a community back in the 1980's when I had an auto parts delivery route. Maybe someone needs to put out a book on vanishing small town Texas while a bit of it still exists. The trend towards depopulation of smaller communities and continuing growth of large cities is a world wide phenomenon encouraged by modern economic factors. The old economic models (railroads, family farming, and distribution patterns) which gave rise to small town America have largely disappeared during my lifetime.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

I enjoyed looking through the books, as well. The 1907 Greater Fort Worth Illustrated is very interesting. Yes, there are only a few structures still standing from that book. Quite a few of them were demolished to build our current stock of historic structures in Downtown. Unfortunately, I can remember the demolition of about half of them in my lifetime.

I drove through both Putnam and Baird over the summer and I agree, that it is amazing on how the small towns in Texas are becoming ghost towns. Actually that might be an interesting separate thread topic.

#4 hinzdl

hinzdl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

My book "Panther's Rest, History of the FW Police Dept from 1873 - the 21 Century" is now an EBook at http://bookstore.aut...rchTerm=Panther's+Rest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users