- - - - -

Fort Worth's Tallest and Oddest

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

Burnett Plaza has always troubled me. The west elevation is better at night than at day. Could someone please brick, mural or panel that 500-ft concrete crevice wall? And while they are at it, at least counterbalance the utility barn with another one; better still, install a rooftop crown.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

I doubt that the building owners will change the facade of the building. I really don't have a problem with the "500 foot crevice wall". I also don't have a problem with the "utility barn" being off center. Why would you want to put brick on part of an exposed concrete building? The designers chose to express the elevator core on the exterior. There is nothing wrong with that.

#3 vjackson

vjackson
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

I have to agree with the first comment. I've always found the building odd and unattractive. Some sort of crown on top of the building would definitely help. It is too prominent of a structure to be so bland.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

Had glass capsules been placed on the exterior so that they could be seen, I would have liked that a whole lot even though it would have been a scary ride. In my opinion, it definitely needs something: color, steel plating, or masonry. Instead the west elevation reminds of one of the Saginaw silos.

I seem to recall a footnote in the S-T suggesting that inadditon to installing an utility barn after the completion of City Center II, Burnett Plaza could now reclaim the title of being the tallest building in FW. It seemed to me at the time a rather hasty, childish and penny-pinching decision more intended to reclaim the title of being the tallest. The location of the UB makes the structure begs for equilibrium. They missed an opportunity to do something dramatic such as topping-off the building with an asthetic crown. In summation, I feel that the designer missed multiple opportunities to do something special instead of giving us a building that looks both institutional and industrial.

To want to be Fort Worth's tallest building, Burnett Plaza is not one that I shall ever swoon over.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

I'm curious why you call it a utility barn.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:18 PM

Well, I vaguely recall that at the time it was installed post construction, the information released to the curious was that its purpose was to house a maintenance or building services function. Also included in the story was the trivial fact that it would nose the total height of Burnett Plaza ahead of the total height of Center City II. I thought at the time, it was sorta of a spurious claim.
Just aside, the initial height of BP was to be 30 stories. The owners decided to add an additional 10 stories sometime between planning and construction. If they had really wanted an undisputable title to being the tallest build in the CBD, I would have been thrilled had they decided to top off at 50 stories which would have been great.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Well, first of all approximately one half of the appendage on the roof is the elevator overrun penthouse. That part of the building is required if an elevator goes all the way to the top office floor. The upper half is the part that was added. It houses communications equipment. I have not been on the roof of this building. Probably there is a frame that houses the equipment and the bases for the various antennae and communications equipment that are constructed up there. What you see on the exterior is a screen to hide most of the equipment. The only things that extend above the screen are the antennae. This screen is constructed with steel beams and columns as support for the exterior panels; therefore, this is part of the structure and adds to the total height of the building. The building is 567 feet tall with the screen compared to City Center Tower II at 547 feet. If any of you are wondering, the new Pier 1 Place will be 324 feet tall.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Yes, that would explain it; but could it had been screened in a more thoughtful way. No other skyscraper in the metroplex comes so immediately to mind as having such an architectural wart. Please, Robert, send them a conceptual crown design, one preferably copper colored and illuminous at night.

#9 Kevin Lehnhardt

Kevin Lehnhardt
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:19 PM

An Austinite's opinion...

I like it actually. I've always sort of seen it as Fort Worth's signature building, although I know some of you aren't going to like hearing that. Maybe the twin City Center towers would be more desireable for that title. But I've always sort of admired the massive size of the Burnett Plaza and have seen it as "the" building on the skyline so to speak. Fort Worth is full of great architecture and always has a eye for urban design so I know when something so large and perhaps oppresive comes along it might be rejected. But I think that's one of the things that makes it so unique is that it's different from the rest.

#10 johnlp

johnlp
  • Guests

Turn the barn into a four-sided clock!
I still say it was sad that no effort was made to preserve the old CNB clock (granted CNB was long gone and the sign was in a state of disrepair...and code issues..yada, yada, yada). But if Dallas can preserve the Pegasuss why not our clock? The Burnett PLaza would be a good building for a non-rotating 4 sided clock!
Just my take on it!

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

I'm beginning to soften a tad bit on BP after seeing how it glow into Sundays' sunset. Along with 500 W 7th St, BP and 500/7th were a brilliantly white giants against the blue-gray eastern horizon. They were really beautiful together.

#12 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

But if Dallas can preserve the Pegasuss why not our clock? The Burnett PLaza would be a good building for a non-rotating 4 sided clock!

Or we could really go like Dallas and put an old fashioned analog clock on all four sides with each side showing a different time from the others - which is how the old Mercantile Bank building is today and how it was back when the hands on the clock actually moved!

#13 hipolyte

hipolyte
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

Sorry, but I've always felt that Fort Worth's signature building was and is the Tarrant County Courthouse. But I do like the clock idea. I have fond memories of the old CNB clock when it was the tallest point on the skyline.

#14 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

Sorry, but I've always felt that Fort Worth's signature building was and is the Tarrant County Courthouse.

I am with you on that - and my guess is that it is probably the most recognizable building downtown for those who do not live in the city.

As to City Center and Burnett Plaza, the only thing that I think puts them in the running is their height. The Sinclair Building outclasses both of them many times over. So does the Burk Burnett building. By comparison, City Center and Burnett Plaza look very bland and antiseptic.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

From Dismuke:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or we could really go like Dallas and put an old fashioned analog clock on all four sides with each side showing a different time from the others - which is how the old Mercantile Bank building is today and how it was back when the hands on the clock actually moved!
:lol:

#16 Prairie Pup

Prairie Pup
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:22 PM

That building is just crying out for some sort of neon spire, something that could be seen from the eastern-facing galleries of the Modern Art Museum, use the Dog House on the top as a base.

Woof!

#17 Andy N

Andy N
  • Guests

Hey, at least the Mercantile Bank building clock was correct 8 times a day.

#18 pez03

pez03
  • Guests

I agree! I does need something other than those ugly lights it has at night. Half of them don't even work. That's attractive!!

#19 DrkLts

DrkLts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

That thing that's been referred to as a "utility barn", what's up with that? The building itself isn't all that fancy, but that box on the top disturbs me. Can't they just level the top someday? For the longest, I've humored myself by thinking it look like a chimney top. Does the lobby have the worlds largest fireplace???

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Drklts, I think that I have already explained the answer above. They cannot level the top of the building because what is up there is required in some form or another. One half of the rooftop structure is a part of the elevator system and cannot be removed. The other half is a base and screen for communications equipment. Yes, the screen could be removed, but then we would be looking at all of the communications equipment sitting on top of the elevator penthouse. I'm sure that everyone would agree the screen is better looking than the antennae and equipment.

The only way to eliminate the view of it is to cover it up. Now if that approach were taken, a four story top would have to be erected on the roof.

You probably ask why there are not such appendages on other buildings. They are either there, disguised, covered up, used as a design element, or the function is changed at the top of the building to avoid the situation.

If you want more information, I can provide it, since this answer is much easier than David's question regarding mechanical and plumbing systems for high rise buildings.

#21 BB

BB
  • Guests

I'm pretty sure that, if the roof of the building was level, people would instead complain that "the building looks like a big box".

#22 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

The building has never bothered me all that much from the distance. Indeed, from the cultural district area, it can even look slightly interesting - though I would hardly use the words "pretty" "beautiful" "attractive" or "grand" to describe it. But when viewed from up close, the thing is butt ugly. Like a lot of buildings of its ilk, it is meant to be seen and appear impressive from the freeway and on skyline shots - but virtually no thought was given for the people who are walking on the streets nearby. From just across the street, its appearance is only slightly better than that of a typical parking garage.

What bothers me most about the building are the pictures I have seen of what was destroyed to put it there - a building that actually was attractive.

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

That building was the Medical Arts Building. It opened in 1926 as the city's second tallest building at 280 feet. It was designed by Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick.

#24 DrkLts

DrkLts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

OK, I get the function of that elevator core, but looking at it from the western view, the crevice wall seems to emphasize that the core was made to be a design element. If so, wouldn't it of been highlighted by a digital clock, marque, or brightly lit sign with the buildings' name or logo? It kinda looks unfinished or lacking something

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

You are correct. The elevator core was made to be a design element. Each time the elevator bank drops off, the space is made up above it by office space and the building cantilevers outward at that point. The bank with the penthouse on it goes all the way to the top floor. Inside that bank is the service elevator, also stopping at every floor, and a stairway that exits on the roof.

As for putting something on it, the architects and building owner decided not to do this.

#26 jonnyrules23

jonnyrules23
  • Guests

I have never gotten the point of Burnett Plaza...It's got well over a million sf of office space, yet they chose a massive, ugly design when they could have had a signature slender tower. Also, being our tallest, perhaps they should do something creative with the lighting at night. Everytime I see it lit up, half the bulbs are burned out
Paschal rules!!!

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

Jonny, how would you suggest they light the building? I'd like to hear your ideas.

#28 jonnyrules23

jonnyrules23
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

It's not just Burnett Plaza, I wish ALL the major skyscrapers in Fort Worth would do something creative. Hopefully Pier1's superb crown, and The Tower's roof sails (what would you call it?) will motivate some of the other buildings in dt to be more flashy at night. I would like to see neon on Carter&Burgess, perhaps leave the bulbs on Burnett only put floodlights in the elevator core, and I don't know what to do about city center, but it should be something innovative to match the design of the towers.

Also, I can't remember where I heard this, but I think Dallas used to have a "program" where many of the tall buildings would leave some lights on in offices to highlight the skyline at night. I don't know if it's realistic in FW, but it might help the skyline as well.
Paschal rules!!!

#29 Jackobus

Jackobus
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

The Burnett Plaza is slender if you view it at the right angle

I never really considered this buildint to be 'ugly' and I did like how it was lit up at night along with the design of the elevator core. After reading comments, I think at least the screen on top of the elevator penthouse could blend in with the color of the building better. Dismuke, you're right, up close, especially on the East side, it appears like a parking garage.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the Burnett Plaza vs the SBC Building? I say 8 for Burnett Plaza and -10 for SBC.

#30 dismuke

dismuke
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:28 PM

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the Burnett Plaza vs the SBC Building?

I am not a big fan of Burnett Plaza - but I don't think I would insult the building by comparing it in any way to the SBC Building. The SBC Building is among North Texas' most visible and noteworthy eyesores. At least Burnett Plaza looks mildly interesting for a few minutes the first time one sees it from the west either in day or lit up at night. The SBC Building has absolutely no redeeming value that I can think of whatsoever, except perhaps for the fact that it is apparently structurally sound and shelters the company's equipment and staff from the elements. I wonder if the architect lists the building on his resume - or is this something that a prospective employer would need to uncover through a background check?

#31 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

What makes you think there was an architect?

#32 DaPanther84

DaPanther84
  • Guests

I NEVER REALLY WAS FOND OF THAT BUILDING, IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG BRICK SITTING IN DOWNTOWN. IT NEEDS DESIGN TO IT AT THE TOP. MAKE IT TALLER IF YOU HAVE TO.

#33 Urbndwlr FW

Urbndwlr FW
  • Guests

I would like to see the outline scheme go. The string and bulb method doesn't look attractive from within 5 miles as one can see the dead bulbs, making a broken outline.

I would prefer if they would uplight the building. I'm not sure how it would be accomplished - perhaps flood lights from teh parking garage on the west side. Perhaps the east facade could be lit from within the grid (lighting behind the concrete to reveal the grid pattern from afar). Difficult to explain.

#34 renamerusk

renamerusk
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

A Cover-up is precisely what I had in mind.
I cannot recall seeing many if any post 80's buildings in the DFW area which have not incorporated a design scheme to cover their top roof. An ornamental mesh might be one solution. I like the top being designed for the proposed renovation of the Ramada Hotel.

Is the crown designed for the roof of the "Tower" really a cover?

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:30 PM

I have answered your question on the Old Bank One Tower To Become Condos thread.

#36 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

From another thread (Dallas the Movie) that got off subject. Anyway...

The reasons for keeping Burnett Plaza as a box are pretty simple.  Most of the "hats" that are put on buildings after the fact don't look as if they were designed with the building.  They sometimes appear as afterthoughts.  I don't have as much of a problem with the new crown of The Tower because the whole building was redesigned.  I will admit that I am a little bit of a purist and that leads me to my final reason why Burnett Plaza should stay the same.  The design intent was for it to be a companion building to 500 W. 7th.  The eastern facade shows that they are related.  The other part of the design intent was to express the elevator core as a design element.  If that was the design statement, then the elevator overrun must be exposed as a part of that statement.

View Post

The elevator overrun, Willy1 pointed out that it was EXTENDED to reclaim FW's tallest at one point. After seeing a photo, then seeing it in person, I clearly saw where the "expanded" portion starts. I could live without the lame attempt to "increase" height part, but without that expanded part...the overrun doesnt appear to be so odd. it's just pops up on the roof very little. Just looks distracting now than what was 1st there to begin with.

John, as you said your a bit of a purist.
Does the expanded portion (not part of the original design) still ok with you? Again, it was only added in greed to be TALLEST. I could wear shoes with thicker heels to be taller lol :cheez:

#37 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

John, as you said your a bit of a purist.
Does the expanded portion (not part of the original design) still ok with you? Again, it was only added in greed to be TALLEST. I could wear shoes with thicker heels to be taller lol :cheez:

View Post

[/quote]

Im not kidding when I ask does Pier one make it as the tallest? With those beams of light that go about 60 stories high. Does someone know if Pier One say the beams are this high or that high?

My understanding is Dallas hold the Tallest building in Texas. I think thos beams wold be taller. But im still hoping for Fort Worth to get its 80 story done before I pass away.

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

The screeen on top of the penthouse was not only added to get the claim as tallest, but as a means to conceal several of the primary tenants communications devices. The tenants revealed while the building was under construction that they needed satellite dishes and antennae space on the roof. The architects then came up with a way to house the equipment and then add the height to the building. I don't have too much of a problem with that screen because it certainly looks better than having all of that equipment on top of the penthouse exposed.

Now in Denton, I'm not real sure what you mean in your previous post. I do not know how high the visible beam of light is above Pier 1 Place. The tallest building in Texas is not in Dallas. The top two tallest are in Houston. For that specific information, check out http://www.emporis.com

#39 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

Now in Denton, I'm not real sure what you mean in your previous post. I do not know how high the visible beam of light is above Pier 1 Place. The tallest building in Texas is not in Dallas. The top two tallest are in Houston. For that specific information, check out http://www.emporis.com

View Post

[/quote]

I was just eyeballing just taking a guess how tall the beams of light were. My guess is about 60 stories. My guess also is that they will not keep doing the beams at some point.

All I know is the tallest in Dallas is 72 stories. I thought Dallas had the Tallest in Texas. and I heard they were too be twin towers. Mybe they will someday. Kinda doubt it but who knows. Thanks Mr.Roberts.

#40 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

^ the Bank of America tower in downtown Dallas is the 3rd tallest building in Texas at 921 feet tall and has 72 stories. The 75 story JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston is the tallest building in the state at 1002 feet tall. The second tallest building in Texas is Wells Fargo Plaza, also in Houston. It's 71 stories and 971 feet tall. There is another building in Houston that is TECHNICALLY taller than the BOA tower in Dallas. One Shell Plaza is 714 feet tall to the roof, but has an anntenae on top that brings the overall height to 1000 feet.

http://www.skyscrape...e.com/diagrams/?

#41 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

^ the Bank of America tower in downtown Dallas is the 3rd tallest building in Texas at 921 feet tall and has 72 stories. The 75 story JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston is the tallest building in the state at 1002 feet tall. The second tallest building in Texas is Wells Fargo Plaza, also in Houston. It's 71 stories and 971 feet tall. There is another building in Houston that is TECHNICALLY taller than the BOA tower in Dallas. One Shell Plaza is 714 feet tall to the roof, but has an anntenae on top that brings the overall height to 1000 feet.

http://www.skyscrape...e.com/diagrams/?

View Post

Funny they talk about BOA in this weeks Dallas Business Journal. Its also the 18 tallest in the U.S.

Thanks guys

#42 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

(PRN) Behringer Harvard Purchases Landmark in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex; Burnett Plaza Dominates Fort Worth's Central Business District

PRNewswire

DALLAS, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc. announced today its acquisition of Burnett Plaza, one of the largest buildings in the Southwest and a prominent landmark in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

Burnett Plaza is a 40-story, Class A office building that provides more than one million square feet of rentable space. Towering 567 feet high, it dominates the downtown Fort Worth skyline.

"This asset is the linchpin of a submarket enjoying low vacancy rates in Class A properties, escalating market rents and good absorption," said Robert Behringer, chairman and CEO of Behringer Harvard. "We expect Burnett Plaza to provide REIT investors with an attractive opportunity to capitalize on a core asset in a prime location with stable current yields backed by major tenants."

Strategically located on the west side of the central business district near Interstate 30 and the Trinity Railway Express, the 2.24-acre site is immediately adjacent to Burnett Park, Fort Worth's largest urban greenbelt. The 1,024,627-square-foot tower at 801 Cherry Street offers convenient access to Sundance Square, the Fort Worth Convention Center, and a famed cultural district featuring buildings designed by world-renowned architects, including the Kimbell Art Museum and The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

The building is 97 percent leased, with major tenants including AmeriCredit Corporation, Burlington Resources, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Practitioners Publishing. Management of Burnett Plaza will be retained by Pennsylvania-based Brandywine Realty Trust. Steve Hentschel of Lehman Brothers served as an advisor to both Behringer Harvard and Brandywine Realty Trust.

About Behringer Harvard:
Behringer Harvard is an investment company that offers a diverse selection of real estate funds reflecting core, value-added and opportunistic investment strategies. Its publicly registered non-traded REITs and limited partnerships provide strategic opportunities for sellers of institutional-quality real estate as well as individual investors seeking to diversify their portfolios. The company's finite-life programs, offered through the independent broker dealer community, generally feature a total return focus and the financial transparency of public securities. For more information, call toll-free 866.655.3600 or visit http://www.behringerharvard.com .

This release contains forward-looking statements relating to the business and financial outlook of Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc. that are based on our current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections and are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in these forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on any such statements. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements contained in this release. Such factors include those described in the Risk Factors sections of the offering documents for the offering of equity of Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc. Forward-looking statements in this document speak only as of the date on which such statements were made and we undertake no obligation to update any such statements that may become untrue because of subsequent events. We claim the safe harbor protection for forward-looking statements contained in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.

#43 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 10 2006, 03:10 PM) View Post

Strategically located on the west side of the central business district near Interstate 30 and the Trinity Railway Express, the 2.24-acre site is immediately adjacent to Burnett Park, Fort Worth's largest urban greenbelt. The 1,024,627-square-foot tower at 801 Cherry Street offers convenient access to Sundance Square, the Fort Worth Convention Center, and a famed cultural district featuring buildings designed by world-renowned architects, including the Kimbell Art Museum and The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

This release contains forward-looking statements relating to the business and financial outlook of Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc. that are based on our current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections and are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in these forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on any such statements.

I guess the term 'convenient access' is used loosely in this press release. Why not add DFW Airport and Dallas to the list? And your only about an hour from WinStar Casino too. Maybe the forward looking statement is future light rail along W. 7th...

#44 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

[/quote]

I guess the term 'convenient access' is used loosely in this press release. Why not add DFW Airport and Dallas to the list? And your only about an hour from WinStar Casino too. Maybe the forward looking statement is future light rail along W. 7th...
[/quote]

By my calculation, 7.6% cap rate. Serious bet on the stability of the FW CBD office market.

Unfortunately, it will also generate an IQ decline of about 80% at TAD. (TAD IQ declines are inversely proportional to assessments)

#45 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(grow_smart @ Feb 11 2006, 06:32 PM) View Post

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 10 2006, 03:10 PM) View Post

This release contains forward-looking statements relating to the business and financial outlook of Behringer Harvard REIT I, Inc. that are based on our current expectations, estimates, forecasts and projections and are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in these forward-looking statements, and you should not place undue reliance on any such statements.

It is convenient! I notice the occupants of BP walking out every day to ride a convenient bus into DT for lunch. DT Dallas is just a convenient helicopter ride away, it's all relative.

#46 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(JKC @ Feb 11 2006, 09:00 PM) View Post

It is convenient! I notice the occupants of BP walking out every day to ride a convenient bus into DT for lunch. DT Dallas is just a convenient helicopter ride away, it's all relative.

If people can't walk from BP to Sundance for lunch, then there is no way you'd ever get those people on transit...

#47 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Behringer Harvard Grabs Fort Worth Office Trophy for $172M

February 10, 2006
By Colleen Corley, News Writer

Brandywine Realty Trust has sold a prime Fort Worth, Texas, property to Behringer Harvard REIT I for $172 million, the companies said today. The 1 million-square-foot Burnett Plaza office building "shows all the signs of a great long-term purchase," Behringer Harvard executive vice president Jason Mattox told CPN this afternoon.

Though Behringer Harvard REIT 1 is located in the Fort Worth suburb of Addison, this is only the company's second purchase in the market. But the 40-story Burnett Plaza offers a high-profile point of entry for the REIT. "Burnett has a long history of strong occupancy and is part of a dynamic downtown market," Mattox said of the 97 percent leased property.

The vacancy rate for the Dallas-Fort Worth office market decreased 7.5 percent since the fourth quarter of 2004, checking in at the still-high rate of 18.5 percent, according to a CB Richard Ellis Inc. market report.

But Mattox noted that Behringer Harvard has faith in the office market performance of Fort Worth's Central Business District. "The Fort Worth economy is unique," he pointed out, "and one that we don't see faltering through the hold of the asset."

#48 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:48 PM

Had no idea Burnet Plaza was considered a "GREENBELT".

They could have constructed some attached condos for half the price. One expensive block o cheese.

Where's the BEEF? cheeburga.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#49 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

[quote name='safly' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:48 AM' post='21367']

I had no idea the buyer was a local firm, from the "Fort Worth suburb of Addison".

#50 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

[quote name='Prairie Pup' date='Feb 12 2006, 11:53 PM' post='21368']
[quote name='safly' date='Feb 13 2006, 01:48 AM' post='21367']

I had no idea the buyer was a local firm, from the "Fort Worth suburb of Addison".
[/quote]

Arlington is a suburb of Dallas and Addison in North Dallas is a suburb of Fort Worth. blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users