Old Fort Worth Stores

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone remember where the Two Country Boys Auto Parts store was located exactly? I seem to remember in the early/mid '60's it was located off of Hemphill. I'm not sure if there was more than one, but I remember going to one off Hemphill a few times, and it seems like it was near the old Our Lady of Victory (OLV) campus and on a side street parallel to the east side of Hemphill.

There used to be a military surplus store on either East Rosedale or East Lancaster, but I can't remember the name of it. I wonder if it's still in business?

Also, on one of the same two streets mentioned above, there used to be a small general merchandise warehouse-type store right after you got off I-35W heading east, and it was only for government employees. I believe the name of it was UMi and you had to be a member and hold some sort of government-related job (civil service, military, etc.).

Does anybody remember those places?

Bill Sievers

#2 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

The Army Store is still on E. Lancaster. It has been there almost forever. Before that, it was downtown. Not to be confused with Army-Navy Stores of Texas, which used to be all over the place but seem mostly to have disappeared.

#3 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Ok GWiD! Thanks for this info. Yes, I remember the Army Store downtown back in the '50's. I didn't realize they had moved. The surplus store I remember at their new location was under a different name, and as I recall they also sold a lot of heavy equipment (trucks, bulldozers, etc.).

I'll have to go to Google Street view and check out the Army Store and see if their building looks the same as the other store I remember. It's probably the same place.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users